LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Steering Lock on Incline?

Old 03-22-18, 07:17 PM
Wilson430
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Lock on Incline?

I have read about the key and steering getting locked when the car is parked on an incline. Everyone says you have to have the wheels pointed just right to prevent this but I haven't read how you are suppose to turn the wheels so it won't happen. Can someone enlighten me on the proper way to park the car on an incline. I am assuming with the wheels toward the curb?
Old 03-22-18, 07:23 PM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 675 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilson430
I have read about the key and steering getting locked when the car is parked on an incline. Everyone says you have to have the wheels pointed just right to prevent this but I haven't read how you are suppose to turn the wheels so it won't happen. Can someone enlighten me on the proper way to park the car on an incline. I am assuming with the wheels toward the curb?
No. Always point the front wheel in the direction such that if the car begins to roll, it rolls into the curb thus preventing a run away.
Old 03-22-18, 07:26 PM
Wilson430
Driver School Candidate

That is what I was trying to say but didn't explain myself well. If forward downhill, to the right toward the curb with the front of the tire, and if backward downhill to left with the back of the tire toward the curb.
Old 03-23-18, 08:48 PM
TriC
Racer

Received 266 Likes on 200 Posts

Correct, Wilson430.
Old 03-25-18, 08:08 AM
imdking
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Yes, that's how it's done.
Old 03-26-18, 05:36 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

In my experience the ignition key switch is no more prone to "freeze" and get stuck when parking on an incline than it does when parking flat. But it does happen rarely in the LS. If you experience the ignition key not turning (seems stuck/frozen) the usual "fix" is to slightly turn (more of a tiny budge) the steering wheel to the right or left while at same time gently turning the key against what ever is causing it to stick. Moving the wheel just slightly (in either direction) you should feel the key free up to turn and start the car. Maybe someone else with chime in with more detailed explanation but moving the wheel a small bit somehow takes some pressure off the key switch to "unfreeze" in the rare case where the switch will stick in LS430s. Anecdotally my car has not had any key freeze episodes in probably the last few years or so, it did happen every couple of months when I first owned the car. Maybe a little wear on the security mech in the steering wheel smoothed out whatever was getting stuck in there.
Old 03-26-18, 08:43 AM
Wilson430
Driver School Candidate

I have had mine lock up on small inclines and never knew what was going on. I have also had what Jabberworck described where the key locks up on flat ground. Yesterday I had to park on a very steep incline so I turned the wheels toward the curb and the key worked perfect. I guess I need to be more aware on slight inclines since my car seems sensitive to inclines.
Old 03-26-18, 09:38 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 843 Likes on 638 Posts

Steering wheel lock up seems to occur when the wheel is turned AFTER the key is turned off,
not generally by what position the wheel was turned to BEFORE the key switched off and locked the column.

I get the most calls to relieve this difficulty in the winter when folks apparently shut down the car and
then use the locked steering wheel to brace themselves when getting out into slippery surfaces. The
force against the wheel doesn't seem important until you return and the wheel is "stuck". As written
above, just pull the wheel away from the lock (the only direction the wheel will move...) and then turn
the key or press the start/stop button.
Old 03-26-18, 12:14 PM
imdking
Pole Position

You guys are confusing 2 separate conditions. To take precautions against rolling/sliding when parking on an incline, turn the front wheels towards the curb. If slope is to the front, front of the wheel contacts the curb, and if backwards, then the back of the wheels contact the curb.

To lock the steering wheel, once the key is removed from the ignition, turn the steering wheel in any drection, and it clicks and locks. To unlock, turn steering wheel while turning ignition and wheel goes free. This is a safety feature designed to prevent thieves from rolling your car out of your driveway without the ignition key. If you leave the wheel unlocked, like most people do, and someone manages to get in the car, the wheel will lock as soon as they try to steer it. Whether on slope or level ground.

Safety feature on most vehicles from previous century.

Last edited by imdking; 03-26-18 at 12:20 PM.
Old 03-26-18, 05:49 PM
Wilson430
Driver School Candidate

So are you saying there is nothing to the incline safety statement that if the wheels aren't in the right position the key won't turn on while on a incline?
Old 03-27-18, 03:15 AM
imdking
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Wilson430
So are you saying there is nothing to the incline safety statement that if the wheels aren't in the right position the key won't turn on while on a incline?
Turn the key while turning the steering wheel. This will unlock the wheel, and release the ignition cylinder.