LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Does the 2002 LS have an exterior trunk release?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-18, 07:56 AM
Abernoots
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Does the 2002 LS have an exterior trunk release?

Hey everyone, I've owned my LS430 for a few months now and I can't seem to figure out how to open the trunk via the trunk lid; without using the keyhole. Is there some sort of trunk release that I'm missing? All of the exterior trunk releases I've seen are for 2003+ models, and months of searching yielded no results for my 2002 LS
Old 03-02-18, 08:45 AM
bloomwcjkl
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Our 2004 has the button under the trunk lid, but it requires the proximity sensor/key. I do not think the 01 and 02 had that feature as they did not have the smart key. 03 I'm not certain.
The following users liked this post:
Abernoots (03-02-18)
Old 03-02-18, 08:46 PM
Abernoots
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn well that sucks. Oh well, I'm not using the trunk often enough to justify hating it over this, I'll adapt!
Old 03-03-18, 05:29 AM
DomeSL
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2001 LS430 and it has the trunk release button, a bit right to the middle.

Originally Posted by Abernoots
Hey everyone, I've owned my LS430 for a few months now and I can't seem to figure out how to open the trunk via the trunk lid; without using the keyhole. Is there some sort of trunk release that I'm missing? All of the exterior trunk releases I've seen are for 2003+ models, and months of searching yielded no results for my 2002 LS
Old 03-03-18, 05:31 AM
DomeSL
Rookie

My 2001 LS430 has smart key.
European LS had smart key from begining.

Originally Posted by bloomwcjkl
Our 2004 has the button under the trunk lid, but it requires the proximity sensor/key. I do not think the 01 and 02 had that feature as they did not have the smart key. 03 I'm not certain.
Old 03-03-18, 01:42 PM
Jkallinen
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My 02 does not have a trunk release button in back. Just the key hole. And mine no longer works since after buying it
and cleaning it up. I found it full of sad and dust and rusty. Need to get key slot cleaned out some how.
I use the inside release or my FOB to open it.
The following users liked this post:
Abernoots (03-04-18)
Old 09-12-23, 01:58 PM
mwilliams55555
4th Gear

That's all my sister used was the key remote or the button by the gas door opener, looking and trying to research it, the fuze is in the trunk, is there another fuse inline somewhere ? I know they did have some things fiuzed and then another one in some systems
Old 05-13-24, 06:30 PM
artidlf
2nd gear

Default Exterior trunk release retrofit?

Anyone attempt to retrofit the button? I am thinking of trying to make the 2003 button work on my 02. I am totally perplexed why they put a "dummy" button in the opening, but am thinking through (or trying at least) if I bought an after market 03 button how hard would it be to rework the wiring so it activates the actuator?

I guess the biggest trick would be making it so it only works when the car is unlocked, but maybe if that does not work I could put a "kill switch" for the rare occasion the car needs to be locked for to the point someone might try the button and hope it works, I might put this in the category with the wheel locks o finally got ride of as if they would actually stop someone from stealing the tires if they really want them... Again 99% of the time the car is not in a place this would be an issue and the convince would overweight the risk or need to hit a kill switch once in a blue moon...

Just thinking, which tends to get me in trouble...
Old 05-23-24, 07:55 PM
PappaRob
2nd gear

Originally Posted by artidlf
Anyone attempt to retrofit the button? I am thinking of trying to make the 2003 button work on my 02. I am totally perplexed why they put a "dummy" button in the opening, but am thinking through (or trying at least) if I bought an after market 03 button how hard would it be to rework the wiring so it activates the actuator?

I guess the biggest trick would be making it so it only works when the car is unlocked, but maybe if that does not work I could put a "kill switch" for the rare occasion the car needs to be locked for to the point someone might try the button and hope it works, I might put this in the category with the wheel locks o finally got ride of as if they would actually stop someone from stealing the tires if they really want them... Again 99% of the time the car is not in a place this would be an issue and the convince would overweight the risk or need to hit a kill switch once in a blue moon...

Just thinking, which tends to get me in trouble...

Just picked up a beautiful 2003 with the same issue. I even bought a button thinking the old one was worn out then realized when I pulled it apart that the old button was just a blank plastic block. Let us know if you figure out how to do that. I’d be interested in figuring it out.
Old 05-24-24, 02:25 AM
BigBoomer
Instructor

Received 248 Likes on 203 Posts

Unless you have the SmartKey (in which case you would already have the button) you won't be able to do this.
When you push the button it pings the SmartKey which authenticates and the computer then allows the trunk to open.
Without the authentication anyone could open your trunk just by pushing the button.

So, without the SmartKey you have the options mentioned above, either use the trunk button on the key, the key in the slot, or the remote release under the dash.
Old 05-25-24, 06:47 AM
artidlf
2nd gear

I assume (if anyone can confirm that would be great before I start playing with it) that the button simply closes a circuit in order to "ping" the smart key. If I put a dual coil relay, triggered by the door locks in front of the power supply side of the circuit "controlled " by the button, if the doors are unlocked the circuit will be powered so when the button closes it power will flow to the actuator. If the doors are locked the relay will not send power to the circuit so therefore even when the button closes the circuit the actuator will not be triggered.

So compared to the smart lock you won't be able to open the trunk without unlocking the doors but compared to what we have today, if the doors are unlocked you could just hit the button and open the trunk...

I am a little nervous to mess up the currently working lock system but conceptually it should work???