LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Very early pirelli p7 cinturato a/s plus 97v review

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-17, 02:42 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 239 Posts
Default Very early pirelli p7 cinturato a/s plus 97v review

As the title reads..."Very Early Review"...please note this is an understatement as I've driven my crispy P7s a total of 24 miles!!! lol. Not fair to comment much, but I couldn't help myself. I'm just that sick.. To be honest I was really busting to give any comments due to the many posts I've made prior to the decision of going the Pirelli route rather than with the Michelin Premiers. Please understand that I am coming from the very highly respected Michelin Primacy MXV4s also with a V speed rating. I loved my Primacys. They were quiet as a church mouse and handled great, but the recent screw finding itself at the very outer edge and close to the shoulder was the last straw for this great tire that is out of production. The Primacys still had 6/32nds tread left but safety always comes first for me. After purchasing the Pirellis from Tire Rack, I brought the tires to Costco for what I feel is truly the most professional install of the pack. They did get enthusiastic with the inflation at 36lbs . . Of course it was firm, but I'll remedy that in the morning by removing a few lbs. Immediately, I noticed the ride was not as quiet as my Primacys. Was I surprised? Not really. The Primacys were one of a kind in that dept. I'm hoping with some curing in the next 500 miles the somewhat more noticeable tire sound will diminish and if not, I will probably just get used to it. When you start with the quietest tire where can you go from there? Yes, this is a VERY comfortable tire. Absorbs bumps very well. I can't comment on braking or wet characteristics as mentioned above this is a VERY EARLY review. Going on and off ramps seemed fine, but again these are new tires and of course being new might be somewhat squirrely but I never pushed them to the limit as they are freshly mounted. They seemed planted and steered straight. One more thing to comment on. I have not aligned the car since I installed LCA bushings yesterday and now the tires. That is scheduled for tomorrow. I'll have more to say as the miles accumulate. I'm sorry I didn't have a more comprehensive review, but obviously not enough time or miles with the tires. More to come my friends.... I promise! So far I'm feeling good about the purchase. To be continued.

Last edited by Bocatrip; 11-03-17 at 05:53 AM.
Old 11-02-17, 03:15 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Please no, lol
Old 11-02-17, 04:53 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by warminwisc
Please no, lol
Everyone on this forum needs tires and wants to know.. often... it's a regular need... bottom line..

Last edited by Bocatrip; 11-02-17 at 05:02 PM.
Old 11-02-17, 05:03 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

early review but a start. bingo.
Old 11-02-17, 05:34 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

I was just kidding no offense. I have prolly 35k on mine nice tires so where my goodyears, michelins, goodyears. michelins, michelins glad you into the feel and ride of the LS!
Old 11-03-17, 04:35 AM
2KHarrier

Received 242 Likes on 200 Posts

I've reached somewhere in the vicinity of 9500 miles on my Pirelli's since installing them in May and they have proved to be a very quiet, good handling (rain and dry weather) and fuel efficient tire. I rotated them once already. In another month or so, I'll swap out the winter tires and put these on the shelf until spring.

Looking forward to your report on the P7's, Boca...
Old 11-03-17, 05:03 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I'm sure they're going to be great tires...depressing to think the snows are going on soon, this means noise and they're 225's so skinnier....I needed them a total of 2X last year, I wonder if we'll get slammed this year with snow....

Feeling good about the purchase counts, we're not talking about a tiny sum of $$$$!

Here's a dumb question, do our fronts wear faster than the rears? That's what my state inspection shows (I could go out and measure the tread depth myself). This is totally the opposite of my BMW which is also RWD....
Old 11-03-17, 03:02 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Update on P7s....Got my alignment today and am overall loving the tires. Drove over 100 miles today and the tires are actually pretty damn quiet on most road services. Handles and tracks well as well as absorbing most road irregularities. I think I have a winner here.
Old 11-03-17, 06:30 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

My tires wear even front to back just seem to wear in the middle more than anything. I am actually looking forward to the x ice 3,jmo, they are kind of sticky and are H rated. Steering is a little harder with all the sipes and stickyness but no big deal
Old 11-18-17, 07:41 PM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Found the thread.....funny u started your thread out kind of like my old thread about the P7s. Be forewarned.....tire threads can get a bit crazy......I think mine went on for 30 plus pages......in the end the P7s proved to be an outstanding tire for our cars. By now your tires are starting to settle in and I think u will find that they are the most quiet tire you have ever owned. I run mine at 32psi.....my dealer also inflated mine to 36 psi for some reason....
Good luck......enjoy
Old 11-20-17, 07:18 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

I hope they work better for you than on my LS400. Couldn't wait to get them off. I found to have zero traction on wet roads. Even taking off from a stop light the rears would spin and not grip the road. Little extra gas on a corner and I could get them to spin and lose traction. I hope yours fair much better. Just swapped out for some Continentals and pretty happy after about 100 miles. Have not had the rain experience yet, but sure they will be much better than the Pirellis.
Old 11-20-17, 08:03 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Default Rain

Originally Posted by Legender
I hope they work better for you than on my LS400. Couldn't wait to get them off. I found to have zero traction on wet roads. Even taking off from a stop light the rears would spin and not grip the road. Little extra gas on a corner and I could get them to spin and lose traction. I hope yours fair much better. Just swapped out for some Continentals and pretty happy after about 100 miles. Have not had the rain experience yet, but sure they will be much better than the Pirellis.
I’ll be certain to report back after some rain. So far not a drop of rain.
Old 11-20-17, 07:42 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Update; I have close to 500 miles on my Pirelli P7 All Season Plus now. I have a noticeable change in highway handling which I did not have with my MXV4 Primacys. I notice that although the car stays on the road without any noticeable drifting and no pulling, I find it hard to drive without constantly correcting the steering wheel. Now I'm not sure it's a result of my last alignment or the tires themselves. One thing about the Primacys were that they steered straight as an arrow. The P7s are hard for me to keep in a straight line without constantly adjusting the steering wheel. I had the same experience when I purchased my car from the previous owner years ago and he had the incorrect BF Goodrich tires installed with a T rating. I immediately changed them for the Primacy with V rating which was like night and day. It's hard to describe other than what was mentioned. It's hard for me to believe an alignment would cause this and I am leaning towards the tires. May go back to have the tires realigned or try another place.
Old 11-20-17, 07:48 PM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Here we go again.......but for some reason not even knowing the Legender I feel he is for real. Soooo I have owned my P7s for about 2yrs now.....have never even spun my tires in any circumstances. That being said I drive my car very relaxed. The p7s have nothing but glowing reviews and nobody but Bob 04 and the Legender has reported this wet traction issue. Yes TireRack reported the P7s to be ranked below the other top performers in wet traction but I have yet to read a real person review of these tires slipping on wet surfaces. This has me so curious that I will purposely take my car out the next time it rains and drive aggressive off the line.....and take some turns in a safe area a little fast or aggressive....But for the life of me I dont see why any of use would drive this big ole car like that in the first place. But lets just say for science....like dodging a deer we will do this experiment. Maybe the LS400 is lighter or more powerful then the 430? Geared differently? I drive my car in the power mode all the time so she is giving me everything she has......mine is an 04.
Now Legender to be specific.........do you have the P7 Cinturato All season ( plus ) emphasis on the word plus......??????? Because the non plus is not the same tire at all..........
I will bet my car on a wet surface cant even do a burn out...........I would have to add some gravel in the mix to get tire spin....but I will do the experiment and report back. I have an up coming road trip....surely i will end up in some rain.
Old 11-20-17, 08:16 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

JPV...As per my post 13, can you comment on your car"s steering stability with your P7s at highway speeds? Do you need to correct the steering at all? Thanks.

Quick Reply: Very early pirelli p7 cinturato a/s plus 97v review