LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

LS 430 acceleration vs GS 400

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-17, 07:22 AM
terminater
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default LS 430 acceleration vs GS 400

Hi Guys. I recently sold my 2000 platinum GS 400 about 3 months ago and have pretty much regretted it since . There were none to be found around here, so I recently 'settled' on a 2003 LS 430 cream puff. This car is NICE! I have only owned it for 1 day thus far, but I notice the acceleration is no where near what my GS was. I understand this model has an electronic drive by wire vs the GS so I knew there would be a little bit of a difference, but it still drives too slow, IMO. Basically, I feel as if I have to floor the gas pedal to make it go. I don't think this is typical, but perhaps you guys can help answer that. There are no CEL or warning lights on. I've already been doing a little bit of search and have seen recommendations to clean the MAF sensor. Can anyone give me further guidance? The car has 216k miles.

Thanks in advance!!
Attached Thumbnails LS 430 acceleration vs GS 400-front-left.jpg  
Old 07-10-17, 07:38 AM
enigma25
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I feel the same way about my 2003 LS430. I reverse wired the Power switch so that it is in that mode all the time.

How is your acceleration on the highway; 50-80 MPH acceleration? Any smoke on hard acceleration at highway speeds?

Try and drive another car like yours, if possible and get a comparison. A MAF cleaning, some Techron, new plugs and Air Filter are all good ideas.

Let us know what you find, as I am sure others may have the same experiences as well.

Thanks!
Old 07-10-17, 08:26 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

I've owned both - the GS400 is slightly faster but the LS is close (.3 - .5 seconds slower 0-60 depending on reviews). It's not all performance... don't forget there is quite a bit more sound deadening from both outside sound and exhaust noise on the LS which quiets the cabin. Reducing the aural part of full throttle acceleration makes things feel slower as well.

Also suggest resetting the ECU by pulling fuse or disconnecting battery might help.
Old 07-10-17, 08:48 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

I recently drove my buddies 04 LS430 and compared to my GS400 it did seem slower. I have intake and catback if that makes any difference. I liked how comfortable the LS430 was in comparison. Like others suggested I would start with pulling ECU fuse let ECU relearn and go from there.
The following users liked this post:
terminater (07-11-17)
Old 07-10-17, 09:42 AM
jimisbell
Instructor

Received 137 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
don't forget there is quite a bit more sound deadening from both outside sound and exhaust noise on the LS which quiets the cabin. Reducing the aural part of full throttle acceleration makes things feel slower as well.
Yes, the sound proofing is awesome. I was really surprised the first time I hit the gas with the windows open. It really does have an exhaust note!!
The following users liked this post:
terminater (07-11-17)
Old 07-10-17, 12:18 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

The other 1UZ and 3UZ cars seem to be a little bit faster than the LS430. The GS400 is considered to be the fastest.

You would probably need headers and full exhaust to match how quick the GS was.
Old 07-11-17, 09:07 AM
terminater
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
I've owned both - the GS400 is slightly faster but the LS is close (.3 - .5 seconds slower 0-60 depending on reviews). It's not all performance... don't forget there is quite a bit more sound deadening from both outside sound and exhaust noise on the LS which quiets the cabin. Reducing the aural part of full throttle acceleration makes things feel slower as well.

Also suggest resetting the ECU by pulling fuse or disconnecting battery might help.
You know, I think what you said about sound deadening has a lot to do with it. I have also noticed that this car is shift happy. Maybe it's just mine, but it shifts so quickly! I sure wish it would hold some of the lower gears a little longer. I plan on resetting the ECU and hopefully the car will learn me better. The previous owner was a lady in her sixties and I hardly doubt she pushed the car ever.
Old 07-11-17, 09:09 AM
terminater
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Kira X
The other 1UZ and 3UZ cars seem to be a little bit faster than the LS430. The GS400 is considered to be the fastest.

You would probably need headers and full exhaust to match how quick the GS was.
Although my GS400 had many cosmetic flaws, I really loved the pep and response it had! Call me odd- but I never got into the mod scene. I prefer my vehicles stock.
Old 07-11-17, 09:15 AM
terminater
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by enigma25
I feel the same way about my 2003 LS430. I reverse wired the Power switch so that it is in that mode all the time.

How is your acceleration on the highway; 50-80 MPH acceleration? Any smoke on hard acceleration at highway speeds?

Try and drive another car like yours, if possible and get a comparison. A MAF cleaning, some Techron, new plugs and Air Filter are all good ideas.

Let us know what you find, as I am sure others may have the same experiences as well.

Thanks!
Hmm, I will need to search for the DIY on wiring my power switch also. I'm assuming doing this will not cause too much premature wear on the transmission?
To be honest, I couldn't tell you regarding the 50-80 MPH acceleration yet. I have not driven on the interstate much. I will check and let you know.
I have not noticed any smoking from the tail pipe.
I plan on cleaning the MAF right away and doing the plugs in the near future.
Old 07-11-17, 09:25 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by terminater
Although my GS400 had many cosmetic flaws, I really loved the pep and response it had! Call me odd- but I never got into the mod scene. I prefer my vehicles stock.
The GS400 was quick car. Even if you were to mod the LS the GS may be quicker.

I would leave it stock. Although I own a modded LS, a clean stock LS looks and drives so nice.
Old 07-11-17, 10:32 AM
imdking
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

At 4,000 lbs, isn't the LS430 heavier that the GS400?
Old 07-11-17, 12:29 PM
hoye0017
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've found the speed to be completely dependent on the transmission. I'm almost positive that when left in full auto mode, the transmission starts off in 2nd or 3rd gear.

Try putting the transmission into sport shift mode and start from 1st. The acceleration difference is night and day.

and then, as others have stated, pull the fuse to clear how the adaptive transmission control has learned the previous owner. It should now learn your driving style and change its shift patterns.
Old 07-11-17, 02:40 PM
jimisbell
Instructor

Received 137 Likes on 103 Posts

My shifts are so smooth I dont even know when they happen, but then I dont push it. Its not a race car. My Saturn Sky Redline is for pushing it, 0-60 in 4.2 sec and 181 top end speed. The Lexus is what I will use when I have to get a driver when I get too old to drive and he/she better not "thrash it" as the Englishman that sold me the 1968 Jag 320 in London called it when I tested it before buying it.
Old 07-11-17, 04:26 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by hoye0017
I've found the speed to be completely dependent on the transmission. I'm almost positive that when left in full auto mode, the transmission starts off in 2nd or 3rd gear.

Try putting the transmission into sport shift mode and start from 1st. The acceleration difference is night and day.

and then, as others have stated, pull the fuse to clear how the adaptive transmission control has learned the previous owner. It should now learn your driving style and change its shift patterns.
Interesting about 2nd (or 3rd) gear start in auto mode. Can anyone confirm?
Old 07-11-17, 05:08 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

I just tried starting my car in S and D. I can't really tell the difference from either when driving as I normally do. When I start in D and accelerate faster I can see the car reach around 3500 rpm and shift at bout 35 mph. I think it starts in 1st gear under that condition. I suppose a better test would be start and do a maximum acceleration in both S and D. Then you might be able to detect any noticable difference. I don't have a nearby street to try that experiment.

Quick Reply: LS 430 acceleration vs GS 400