LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

My Camber is Out

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-17, 10:49 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Gettin Tired of This

Picture looks worse but all 4 worn in inside from rotating. To my auto body guy tomorrow
27 3/4 to top of fender rear right rear 1/8 inch difference at 33lbs. Again religious about rotating and alignments. Wish my yotadealer would have picked it up though
Old 07-05-17, 08:43 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Warm, if you are going to have someone install struts for you, I installed these Monroe struts on the rear of my black onyx '06 and they're OE equivalent..
https://www.amazon.com/Monroe-72342-OESpectrum-Strut-Assembly/dp/B004K7ZD56/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1499312408&sr=8-6&keywords=LS430+rear+struts https://www.amazon.com/Monroe-72342-OESpectrum-Strut-Assembly/dp/B004K7ZD56/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1499312408&sr=8-6&keywords=LS430+rear+struts
Old 07-14-17, 07:31 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Thanks Bro, My car driving home is just so settled and smooth at 165k. I meet with my bodyshop guy to discuss what he called " whole car is sagging, front struts, lift the rear end I don't think you will need a shim kit ya wanna get the alignment settings in the middle". He was eatin lunch, quick talk, gonna speak with him on Saturday. LS sounds like my crush in grade school over time, likely to sag over time. Will update.
Old 07-14-17, 07:54 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Tom, These OEM for my Sports susp, does it matter? Guys 16 blocks away see him after coffee,
Old 07-15-17, 04:00 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by warminwisc
Thanks Bro, My car driving home is just so settled and smooth at 165k. I meet with my bodyshop guy to discuss what he called " whole car is sagging, front struts, lift the rear end I don't think you will need a shim kit ya wanna get the alignment settings in the middle". He was eatin lunch, quick talk, gonna speak with him on Saturday. LS sounds like my crush in grade school over time, likely to sag over time. Will update.
That's a great point, not only would it be good to have the alignment spec green, but in the middle, not extreme..in reality, -1.9 is red, -1.8 is green, but -.8 to -1.8 is the range, so maybe -1.3 is ideal?

On my car where the rear right could only be -1.9, and it was -2.1 prior, the rear left started at -1.5, and was at -1.7 when done, camber that is...when all was said and done only the rear right camber was still red at -1.9.

As I come up on 6k from the last alignment, I'll have it checked since I have lifetime...good luck, you are obviously a perfectionist and it would be interesting to see what corrects the issue...
Old 07-15-17, 01:48 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

I guess if I was a perfectionist I would be in a 460,lol. I just want my car to not pull, not shake, not drip, grind, clunk ruat and I guess in this case where my tires are gonna last like 25k not sag. He is working on parts I think to replace struts and he might have a line on a company to make me springs as the dealer was unsure of springs for the LS.

He said the whole car had sagged 3/4 of an inch so 911 had some good ideas, thanks.He agreed shortening a control arm or whatever was not addressing the issue.
Old 07-16-17, 11:28 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

I might be getting turned off about the reliability of LS's if I see suspension going at 140k so my tires burn up. Anyway nothing else brakes o 1300-1500 bucks for suspension update aint that hard to swallow.
Old 07-22-17, 12:07 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

I stopped by Toyota dealer explaining "just rotate your tires as the camber is not adjustable " Is not gonna work. They said they "really can't see or know of Lexus's having this spring sag but they guess it is possible" Soooo I spoke to Ron Donini The Car Doctor he said "Ya its possible, trust the body shop on stuff like this its 13 years old yur sitting in the drivers seat getting older cars do also" "I don't know what it is with todays auto techs not solving problems these days but I have alot of customers coming in saying the same thing no answers and it's epidemic". "While there at it ask em if there is a camber adjustment kit they have out for these cars these days" Again the Lexus dealer said the same thing "never saw this spring sag we never replace springs" Body shop said "ya there could have been some poor case hardening and the quality control caught it but the actuaries just figured it would not show up in warrantee so they let it go"

Some of you guys are seeing the same specs, (he agreed ya want to see the alignment numbers right in the middle), but noone else is seeing wierd tire wear I have seen it on both of mine, perplexing. I am all hwy miles all just my 250 lb but behind the wheel my work daily driver. No quote me 8 hours labor 85 an hour plus OEM parts still gathering up prices.

Otherwise I liked the Jeep Grand Cherokee for my ski trip needs when I looked around today 016 20k miles CPO leather roof hitch 2 speed transfer case. Maybe 31k get 5 k for mine You guys know any folks with Jeep Grand Cherokee's 8 speed trannys Penstar motors drive real nice.
Old 07-22-17, 12:48 PM
911LE
Instructor

Received 226 Likes on 157 Posts

Auto techs are not really trained to diagnose problems. They are taught how to replace what the computer or flow chart tells them to. You must have an understanding as to how things work to be able to properly diagnose things and I don't think many techs coming out of these schools really have a grasp on it.
All springs on all cars sag over time. Manufacturers don't really care what happens to their vehicles after that many miles or years. All mechanical things wear out eventually. The dealer has no experience with spring sag because by the time the cars are old enough to experience symptoms like you have they no longer see them. Third and fourth owners are unlikely to get work done at a dealership. And if they did they offer longer camber arms to "fix" the problem.
Old 07-22-17, 12:59 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Sometimes it's nice to understand things, seriously. The thing that always got me were how very few people can relate to mpgs, now, that's division, but it varies depending on the conditions. Kick it up a notch and not many people seem to understand mph. Now, you can't simply divide miles traveled by time--it's instantaneous (in other words, how does the car show you're doing 65, then 71, then 68?). Lastly, amortizing a loan. My dad can do it with a calculator. I need a spreadsheet. Some don't even bother, let the loan officer tell you what your payment would be, and keep plugging different values in until you get what you want, the internet connection goes down, even the loan officer can't figure it out anymore...suspension geometry? Well, that's not my forte....
Old 07-24-17, 10:50 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by warminwisc
Tom, These OEM for my Sports susp, does it matter? Guys 16 blocks away see him after coffee,
Warm, I don't know if these Monroe struts are rated "sport suspension." Since you re-use your OE coil spring, the "sport" rating may be in the spring, not the strut. However, after reading all of your posts, what you may need to replace are the coil springs, and not the strut especially since you are getting rear sag. If I were doing it, I'd replace both coils and struts. That outer cupping on your rear tires may be caused by the rear axle slightly hopping.
Old 07-25-17, 04:42 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Default My mistake

[QUOTE=Tom57;9933905]Warm, I don't know if these Monroe struts are rated "sport suspension." Since you re-use your OE coil spring, the "sport" rating may be in the spring, not the strut. However, after reading all of your posts, what you may need to replace are the coil springs, and not the strut especially since you are getting rear sag. If I were doing it, I'd replace both coils and struts. That outer cupping on your rear tires may be caused by the rear axle slightly hopping.[/QUOT

Its inner tire ware. Loki. At new rides tomorrow if all I get is 5k as told prolly buy a Jeef Grand Cherokee. Get mine rebuilt by my buddies kid and fill my third stall in garage.
Old 07-25-17, 07:18 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Tom, Great though thank you! Drove a Sorento they only wanted to give me 3750 on trade crappy suv anyway. Good point maybe just need the rears replaced. Then get a Grand Cherokee and have a third car and split mileage on a 7 year 100 k certified warrantee. I have a thrid garage. Thsnks