LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Double DIN / Apple Carplay Install

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-17, 02:27 PM
regeenoble
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by legend921
Is it a responsive system? I am thinking about getting the V-Line to replace my VAISTECH. Also, do you have any pictures of the install on where and how you mounted the box?
It is responsive, however, it will not be the same experience as using a newer touch screen or android device, but it is definitely functional and once you learn the limitations it is pretty seamless and performs all the tasks I need it for.

I don't have any pics, could try to upload some later, but the unit fits on the top shelf in my glove box (not sure if everyone has the multi shelf piece in the glove), I still have room for my manual and a few other misc. items in there while the vline is out of the way.
Old 07-18-17, 04:39 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

If you get the V-line, look forward to hearing about it.
Old 07-19-17, 03:20 PM
shmi
Rookie

Originally Posted by regeenoble
It is responsive, however, it will not be the same experience as using a newer touch screen or android device, but it is definitely functional and once you learn the limitations it is pretty seamless and performs all the tasks I need it for.

I don't have any pics, could try to upload some later, but the unit fits on the top shelf in my glove box (not sure if everyone has the multi shelf piece in the glove), I still have room for my manual and a few other misc. items in there while the vline is out of the way.
You have to use your phone as a hotspot to use Waze and any other apps that require data on the vline, right? Is it a pain in the butt? Does it drain your phone battery a lot?
Old 07-20-17, 02:27 PM
regeenoble
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by shmi
You have to use your phone as a hotspot to use Waze and any other apps that require data on the vline, right? Is it a pain in the butt? Does it drain your phone battery a lot?
At this point for me, it's just routine. Unless I am commuting or on a trip, I usually just use CarPlay, anyways.

There is a small learning curve and adjustment period up front, but the added functionality makes all of the growing pains worth it. If you are somewhat tech savvy, you should not have any problems integrating the vline into your life.

Also, it sounds like there have been some software stability issues on people with newer model navs, but it has been stable for me since the update in December with a few hiccups along the way.
Old 07-21-17, 11:11 AM
regeenoble
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by shmi
Also, I forgot to mention, I do not notice any serious battery drain while using my iphone 6+ as a hotspot. I use it every day on my commute in the morning and I am typically around 97% when I get to work after about an hour drive, but YMMV.
Old 07-29-17, 01:38 PM
e60bmw
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by lildann
I have an 04 UL with nav and ML. I installed a Pioneer double din with a complete kit from Beat Sonic. It cost me about $400 but I'm really happy with it.

Can you provide some more info on this? Any special trim that I would need to add something on a 02UL? I would love to add something like carplay to mine like this.
https://www1.crutchfield.com/p_500IL...e-iLX-107.html

I'm just wondering if it would fit since I have the UL controls at the bottom.
Old 07-29-17, 07:45 PM
lildann
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by e60bmw
Can you provide some more info on this? Any special trim that I would need to add something on a 02UL? I would love to add something like carplay to mine like this.
https://www1.crutchfield.com/p_500IL...e-iLX-107.html

I'm just wondering if it would fit since I have the UL controls at the bottom.
Mine is also a UL. The buttons for the UL fit in the blank spots below the radio. I just didn't put the height control switch in there because I have aftermarket suspension and it wouldn't do anything. Here is a link for your car if it's an 02 with navigation and Mark Levinson.

http://www.beatsonicusa.com/beat-sonic-mva-23l.html
Old 07-30-17, 09:31 AM
e60bmw
Instructor

Originally Posted by lildann
Mine is also a UL. The buttons for the UL fit in the blank spots below the radio. I just didn't put the height control switch in there because I have aftermarket suspension and it wouldn't do anything. Here is a link for your car if it's an 02 with navigation and Mark Levinson.

http://www.beatsonicusa.com/beat-sonic-mva-23l.html
Awesome! I guess a kit won't be cheap but it would definitely be nice to upgrade it with something like this. Looks like there are a bunch of models in the $400 range now for carplay. Was the install hard with the harnesses etc?

Last edited by e60bmw; 07-30-17 at 09:37 AM.
Old 07-30-17, 07:56 PM
lildann
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Install wasn't hard just a little tedious. The antenna plugs into the amp in the RR of the trunk so you have to run the antenna wire from the trunk to behind the radio. That was the worst part.
Old 08-01-17, 02:17 PM
e60bmw
Instructor

Its annoying that the plate and cable is over $350, almost as much as the whole head unit I was looking at.
Old 08-01-17, 02:32 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts
Smile

Its annoying that the plate and cable is over $350, almost as much as the whole head unit I was looking at.
Yeah, I agree with that. It's actually more than I spent on my headunit, amp, and speakers.

The cost is what sopped me from changing out my radios in both of my LS'. I'm hoping to wire it up without the harness since I'm using aftermarket amps and speakers.
Old 08-01-17, 04:28 PM
e60bmw
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kira X
Yeah, I agree with that. It's actually more than I spent on my headunit, amp, and speakers.

The cost is what sopped me from changing out my radios in both of my LS'. I'm hoping to wire it up without the harness since I'm using aftermarket amps and speakers.
I might just have to bite the bullet and do it, I've wanted a upgrade in my LS for some time now. I didn't realize it could be done again until I found this thread. I had looked when I first bought my LS.
Old 08-01-17, 04:55 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Smile

I might just have to bite the bullet and do it, I've wanted a upgrade in my LS for some time now. I didn't realize it could be done again until I found this thread. I had looked when I first bought my LS.
If you have an older 01-03 LS you can use the Metra dash kit. I ordered one last week from Crutchfield for $35. I need to talk to my audio guy and see what we should do about the wiring.

If you have the 04-06 then it's Beatsonic as your only option. Their kit does look pretty nice but it's so pricey. It't worth upgrading since the factory radio is terrible.
Old 08-01-17, 07:48 PM
e60bmw
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kira X
If you have an older 01-03 LS you can use the Metra dash kit. I ordered one last week from Crutchfield for $35. I need to talk to my audio guy and see what we should do about the wiring.

If you have the 04-06 then it's Beatsonic as your only option. Their kit does look pretty nice but it's so pricey. It't worth upgrading since the factory radio is terrible.
I actually have a 02, and didn't know this...
So its just the trim and not the cabling?
Old 08-02-17, 07:43 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Smile

I actually have a 02, and didn't know this...
So its just the trim and not the cabling?
Yeah, it's just the trim. It seemed to be on backorder everywhere except Crutchfield.

Quick Reply: Double DIN / Apple Carplay Install