LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Help Needed - How do I identify suspension type on my 2004 LS430?

Old 05-29-17, 08:30 AM
ruleman
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help Needed - How do I identify suspension type on my 2004 LS430?

Hello Folks,

Nedd a little help identifying the suspension type on my father's 2004 LS 430.

Specifically, I'd like to know how I would find out if the car has the regular suspension or the sport version. I am unclear if there's any tell-tale signs from the outside of the car to know this, or if it would be specified anywhere else inside/owners' manual/etc.

We got the car used about 1 year ago, with just under 100k miles and in excellent overall condition. What I can tell to be different from others I've seen is that while it is not a UL, it has the Alcantara/Swede headliner, Radar Guided Cruise control, and the outside emblems are black chrome (instead of simple chrome or gold versions).

The VIN is JTHBN36F040165493.

The reason I want to know what suspension it has, is because I want to buy the front struts/shocks so that we can replace them. Can anyone here please point me in the right direction?

Thanks!
Old 05-29-17, 09:28 AM
Fish
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is there a sport suspension badge on the fenders?
Old 05-29-17, 09:42 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

You can always call the 800# at Lexus, and request a build sheet. They will email you a pdf, which shows exactly what the car is. This often helps if you have a question on the interior color, etc. The packages are more straightforward, but still the build sheet spells it out...

edit p.s. I have always heard here, that the shocks are interchangeable, and the sports actually cost less than non, that is with OEM

Last edited by Johnhav430; 05-29-17 at 09:47 AM.
Old 05-29-17, 10:26 AM
ruleman
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the responses guys. The car does not have the fender badge, so I assume it has the traditional suspension setup.

I will definitely order the sport OEM if they are indeed less expensive than the regular OEM. The part numbers I have are:
Front Sport Strut: 48510-80307
Rear Sport Strut: 48530-80241

Are these directly interchangeable? Also, what is the best place to buy online? Is there a preferred vendor for the forum?
Old 05-29-17, 05:32 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Here's a picture of the badges. Found on front fenders either side.
Attached Thumbnails Help Needed - How do I identify suspension type on my 2004 LS430?-img_2798-1-copy.jpg  
Old 05-30-17, 10:13 AM
bradland

Received 647 Likes on 529 Posts

Don't assume check with Lexus using the VIN. My '06 has Sport Susp. and no badges. Also the OEM Sport struts are NOT cheaper for your car. I just replaced my rears the part number is " 48530-80141" only use the forum for suggestions and nothing definitive. Use your VIN to guarantee the correct part number.

https://www.mylparts.com/ is one of several vendors with competitive prices. They also offer a 10% CL discount using code CL5.
They are located in Roseville CA (Bay Area) and process / ship orders promptly.
Old 05-30-17, 06:59 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Best way to insure you get correct replacement struts for your car is to get under it with a flash light and read the part and version numbers directly off of the lower part of the struts. There are multiple versions of struts even for same model years of the LS (not just regular vs sport vs air). If you do get sport version be aware that springs on the sport version also different for regular suspension springs.

I just replaced my front struts (regular struts version # marked 140) and my LCA bushings and used exact OEM Lexus parts ordered online - saved about $380 as opposed to getting parts form local dealer.
Old 05-30-17, 07:15 PM
gstern1994
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Strut test

My car feels a little soft (06, 60k), what's a good way to test the struts to see if they're worn out? If I decide to replace them, could I opt for the sport struts without adding the sport springs and the rear sway bar? I'm just looking for a slightly firmer, more controlled ride.
Old 05-30-17, 08:38 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by bradland
Don't assume check with Lexus using the VIN. My '06 has Sport Susp. and no badges. Also the OEM Sport struts are NOT cheaper for your car. I just replaced my rears the part number is " 48530-80141" only use the forum for suggestions and nothing definitive. Use your VIN to guarantee the correct part number.

https://www.mylparts.com/ is one of several vendors with competitive prices. They also offer a 10% CL discount using code CL5.
They are located in Roseville CA (Bay Area) and process / ship orders promptly.
Thanks for the vendor recommend. No badges seems strange. I've never heard of a Sports version w/o badges. Is it possible someone else changed the suspension?
Old 05-31-17, 09:24 AM
bradland

Received 647 Likes on 529 Posts

I'm guessing it's much more likely the original owner may have had the badges removed. My local Lexus dealer verified the Sport Susp based on my VIN.
Old 05-31-17, 10:12 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Maybe it was possible to order the car w/o badges? Any original owner feedback here? Was it possible to customize your new car order a little?
The badges are glued on (I think). Can remove. I have heard of someone ADDING the badges. Makes sense if you've redone the suspension. Also, Roseville is in the Sacramento area. Local for me so may be handy. Thanks again.
Old 05-31-17, 03:02 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Struts and springs work together. Basically springs absorb shock by compressing and deflecting under direct pressure (like hitting a bump in the road) then the strut acts to quickly dampen further motion of the deflected spring. With a bad or no strut any "bounce" of the spring would continue up and down for way too long. With a proper functioning strut any spring bounce is damped (stopped) by resistance to oscillation. Increasing firmness of the ride usually requires increasing stiffness (increased spring rate) of the springs.
Old 06-03-17, 07:37 PM
ruleman
Driver School Candidate

Update: I ordered the OEM struts thru my local dealer based on VIN and the car has the regular suspension. I will install tomorrow and report back if I found any issues.

Thanks for the input folks.
Old 06-06-17, 11:26 AM
ruleman
Driver School Candidate

I did the replacement this sunday afternoon. Pretty straightforward job really... jack the car up, take out the bolt holding the bottom of the strut, take out the upper A-arm ball joint nut (so that you can extend the lower suspension arm to make room for the strut to come out), and undo the top 3 nuts holding the strut in place.

Use spring compressor to release tension on the top end of the strut/spring setup. Remove the top nut holding the strut shaft in place, remove and replace with new.

Watchout: On driver side, you need to undo the yaw-sensor rod, and the ABS sensor wire. On the passenger side there isn't a yaw sensor, but there is a Brake Pad wear sensor along with the ABS sensor.

Thanks all for the input!