LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Help - Most options on navigation 'grayed out'

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-17, 10:46 AM
OkNowWhat
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Help - Most options on navigation 'grayed out'

So quick background my nav problems on 2001 LS430 (Nav Gen 2/3)

Navigation was working fine.

I clicked the "search area" icon in the upper right and after a few seconds that icon grayed out. Now I can see my current location and that seems to track fine but I can not input addresses or anything. It seems to be behaving as though the nav thinks I'm moving.

I tried upgrading to an updated map dvd (bootleg) and that just gave me a "cannot read disk" error message.

I'm going to use a dvd reader cleaner to see if maybe the reader is faulty but I'm not sure what to try after that.

In the end I understand this is ancient navigation equipment so am prepared for it to just be broken but of course would love to get some functionality out of it.

Any help or suggestions would be awesome and appreciated!
Old 04-20-17, 11:02 AM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

i would disconnect your neg side of the battery for a couple of minutes.sometimes that will fix issues on our cars.
Old 04-20-17, 11:11 AM
OkNowWhat
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jimbosr1
i would disconnect your neg side of the battery for a couple of minutes.sometimes that will fix issues on our cars.
Thanks I forgot to mention I did try that. When I turned car on after I hooked it back up the display said something about "updating" but went back to the same problem as soon as it was up and running.
Old 04-20-17, 07:42 PM
OkNowWhat
Driver School Candidate

Well this evening after I drove over a railroad crossing I noticed everything was back in working order. Appears all that was needed was a little "percussive maintenance".
Old 04-21-17, 09:30 AM
OkNowWhat
Driver School Candidate

Okay not trying to spam the forum with this issue but here is another update. I wont update again unless something major changes.

I tried clicking on adding a destination and when I clicked on 'address' things grayed out again. My UNeducated guess is that the dvd drive is failing so when it attempts to read from the disk it's isn't working and is graying out the destination part of the navigation.

I'm thinking that just showing the current location and tracking along doesn't need to read from the disk, but could be wrong. Anyway that's the current state of my wonky nav

If anyone has had this sort of issue let me know. I can't find this particular issue while searching the forum. It's funny because I would rarely if ever use this navigation unit (it is ancient after all) but just the fact that it's not working properly bugs me haha.