LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

At 248k, I went to a '10 460L

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-17, 10:07 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by 2KHarrier
My long term plans are to shoot for 250-275K on my 2001, and with my 35,000 miles a year I'm driving, I'll probably see that in 4 years time. I'd consider an L model as a replacement because I do feel they drive a little differently than the standard 460.
I've hit 244K in my 2001...I am starting to get the itch myself. My Car runs great but, the seats are getting warn, little scratches that I cant get out, ride is not like it used to be. It's just getting old...

I put about 550 miles a week on my car, those miles keep climbing....

Been eyeing 07-12 460s.... why is laser cruse so uncommon ????? One feature I have always wanted and it's not looking like I will find it
Old 03-19-17, 07:33 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
Great photo, JR! Where is that place exactly? We are about 1.5 hours from Napa but have never ventured out to there on account that neither of us drink. Perhaps we will travel out to Napa in the near future to enjoy the sights.
Def recommend Napa Valley as a place to visit. Gorgeous country, nice roads, plenty of great places to eat. You'll enjoy the drive w/ that new LS.
Old 04-29-17, 07:36 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 338 Likes on 230 Posts

Update: After about 2 months I've put 5k miles on the 460. Some folks here asked for an update around 6 months in, but I've probably covered almost 6 months worth of miles in 2 months.

I do miss a few things about the 430 - I prefer the engine from the 430 (how quiet it is at idle, the longer gears). There is no question that the 460 engine sounds and feels very different. I have gotten used to it but it has taken the full 2 months and 5k of miles to settle in a bit to the difference. As the heat is starting to rise here in FL, I've noticed I don't hear the engine at all when the A/C is on medium. In my 430, I don't think I could hear it when A/C was on lowest fan speed (you almost couldn't hear it with the A/C off). I think because I have driven a 400 and 430 for the last 11 years, I became really accustomed to a certain engine feel and sound. The 460 is different for sure.

Interior: I find the interior to be a massive upgrade. The contouring around the door panels, gauge redesign, quality of leather (mine has semi-aniline), shape of the seats - it's a big difference to me. My car has black interior (which has drawbacks), but I have to say it makes the car look pretty sick at night from the inside. I also really appreciate the rear passenger window sun shades (may be exclusive on the L- not sure)
. With those up and the shade up in the rear window, it really helps block even more light (windows are tinted as well) and keep the car at a more comfortable temp. Only thing I don't like about the interior compared to the 430: I don't think the rear air vents put out enough air unless you run the A/C at the highest level. I felt the 430 air flow out of the back vent was more in-line with the fan speed I ran up front.

Exterior: I have always loved the styling of a '10-'12 with the polished 19" 5 star wheels. I really like the exterior lines of the 460. I tinted the windows and got it fully detailed and clay bar'd. It's a beautiful car, unique color (down here) and I think the "L" gives it a better road presence while it's moving.

Drive: Once you get used to hearing a bit of engine noise (but gets totally drowned out with A/C fan and music) - I am incredibly happy with the ride quality. In hindsight, I have to wonder if my 430 needed a suspension/shocks treatment (I went 248k and it was never suggested so I never did it). I also wonder if the extra 5 inches of wheel base on the 460L translate to a different ride. It's pretty phenomenal- and I find that I have been going faster than I thought at virtually every speed range (35mph, 45mph, 70mph etc) - the car is smoother and quieter so it's easy to underestimate your speed.

Overall: I have nothing but good things to say about the 9 years I had my 430. I still see a few well-maintained ones driving around my area and I still really like the styling. But overall, the 460 has been an awesome upgrade for me. I still almost can't believe the deal I got on the car - so I feel like the value is off the charts for the quality of the car.
Old 04-30-17, 09:57 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

Thanks for the update, I'll probably get a newer car here soon as well.

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
I am incredibly happy with the ride quality. In hindsight, I have to wonder if my 430 needed a suspension/shocks treatment (I went 248k and it was never suggested so I never did it). I also wonder if the extra 5 inches of wheel base on the 460L translate to a different ride. It's pretty phenomenal- and I find that I have been going faster than I thought at virtually every speed range (35mph, 45mph, 70mph etc) - the car is smoother and quieter so it's easy to underestimate your speed.

I definitely think most of the suspension was clapped out by that point, so your hunch is likely correct. I drove a friend's LS400 (which probably from the factory has a cushier ride than the LS430 did) and it was amazing how sloppy the suspension was and how that translated to an uncomfortable ride.
Old 04-30-17, 03:37 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Glad to hear you're enjoying the car...surprised you can hear the engine (I must be going deaf, I can't hear it unless I'm standing near the hood). I hear nothing inside, it's like a tomb...took me three months to get used to it. I found I was close to falling asleep to and from work for a while...didn't know why at first, but then I realized how quiet and relaxed it was inside. Then again I was coming from driving a Honda Accord, not a LS430 (big difference).

5,000 miles in two months? Glad to know I'm not the only one that drives that much...and you've got me beat by a little.
Old 05-01-17, 06:35 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 338 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublebase
Glad to hear you're enjoying the car...surprised you can hear the engine (I must be going deaf, I can't hear it unless I'm standing near the hood). I hear nothing inside, it's like a tomb...took me three months to get used to it. I found I was close to falling asleep to and from work for a while...didn't know why at first, but then I realized how quiet and relaxed it was inside. Then again I was coming from driving a Honda Accord, not a LS430 (big difference).

5,000 miles in two months? Glad to know I'm not the only one that drives that much...and you've got me beat by a little.
LOL at feeling like you may fall asleep to and from work. Huge upgrade from your Accord! I used to drive more - pretty consistently would rack up 55k-60k per year, now I do about half that. But that's why I love the LS- it's a great car for burning up the highway. Silent, great gas mileage for a car of this size, and insanely reliable. On my LS430 and the LS400 before that, I put a total of 250-260k miles on those cars and never did anything beyond normal maintenance to either one. The LS line is really outstanding for overall reliability.
Old 05-01-17, 05:20 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
LOL at feeling like you may fall asleep to and from work. Huge upgrade from your Accord! I used to drive more - pretty consistently would rack up 55k-60k per year, now I do about half that. But that's why I love the LS- it's a great car for burning up the highway. Silent, great gas mileage for a car of this size, and insanely reliable. On my LS430 and the LS400 before that, I put a total of 250-260k miles on those cars and never did anything beyond normal maintenance to either one. The LS line is really outstanding for overall reliability.
You used to drive 55k-60k a year? Wow that's some driving. I'm always amazed when I hear of people doing that (and impressed when their cars can handle it). I drive about 30k a year and you're right, the LS is just built for the highway. I average 26 mpg and the reliability has been better than the Honda. But I can't imagine driving a thousand miles a week, I've only met two people that have done that (if I did that I'd try to reach 500,000 miles or more just to see if the car could handle it with proper maintenance).

Best of luck with your car.
Old 05-03-17, 01:06 PM
Bob04
Pole Position

Received 157 Likes on 116 Posts

Glad you found the noise livable and that you are happy with the car. The engine noise and all my mechanical problems were too much for me to accept, especially given how fantastic my 430 had been and how expensive the 460L was. My next ride will probably be a Tesla when my current 430 needs replacing. I don't think Lexus is going back to the formula that made the 430 so successful.
Old 05-03-17, 07:02 PM
caverman
Instructor

Received 181 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob04
Glad you found the noise livable and that you are happy with the car. The engine noise and all my mechanical problems were too much for me to accept, especially given how fantastic my 430 had been and how expensive the 460L was. My next ride will probably be a Tesla when my current 430 needs replacing. I don't think Lexus is going back to the formula that made the 430 so successful.
Tesla....mehh. My first LS came from a buddy that bought a Tesla and sold me his LS. Personally, I'm not a fan of the interior. Yeah, the big monitor is cool but that's about it. The rest of the interior is extremely lacking to me, especially if you're coming from an LS. Outer style looks good but again not overly impressive in my book. The instant torque is greatness for about the first 3 or 4 months and then it becomes kind of old hat. I think it's a cool car but not for that kind of money they cost. I would get a 2013+ LS F-Sport first but that's just me.
Old 05-04-17, 08:55 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob04
Noise isn't necessarily a bad thing (as long as it is not some sort of failure).....drove the BMW to work today and backing it out of the garage, it ticks like a ******. It's got piezo injectors. The exhaust is also loud esp. given I'm used to the LS430. imho the mannerisms of a vehicle are really something one gets used to, someone who drives a BMW daily doesn't feel it's loud or should be as silent as a LS430, and perhaps someone who has a LS430 finds a BMW intolerable in some cases, it's about what one likes...I do like how with the LS430, it's like you or the car are not even there, you're just driving a pillow top mattress on the highway. But this experience also gets me to appreciate the other side, when one is connected and reminded they're commanding a machine...I like both experiences...
Old 05-04-17, 05:08 PM
Bob04
Pole Position

Received 157 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Noise isn't necessarily a bad thing (as long as it is not some sort of failure).....drove the BMW to work today and backing it out of the garage, it ticks like a ******. It's got piezo injectors. The exhaust is also loud esp. given I'm used to the LS430. imho the mannerisms of a vehicle are really something one gets used to, someone who drives a BMW daily doesn't feel it's loud or should be as silent as a LS430, and perhaps someone who has a LS430 finds a BMW intolerable in some cases, it's about what one likes...I do like how with the LS430, it's like you or the car are not even there, you're just driving a pillow top mattress on the highway. But this experience also gets me to appreciate the other side, when one is connected and reminded they're commanding a machine...I like both experiences...
A ticking noise intruding into the interior of a high-dollar luxury car to me is a bad thing. The LS430 is what the standard should be. You shouldn't have to accept something like that or turn up the radio to drown it out. I listen to a lot of sports talk radio, and I refused to listen to tick tick tick that sounded like spark knocking at every stoplight and at low speeds.