LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Do you use your high beams?

Old 02-24-17, 04:21 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts
Default Do you use your high beams?

I never do, and may have tried them for the 3rd time just now? They seem a little brighter than low beam, but much more yellow. I don't think they're that useful, guess bi-xenon was less common back then?

I live in a dense area so we rarely get the chance to activate high beams....
Old 02-24-17, 05:09 PM
LS430FL
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

My high beams aren't even xenon on my 2011 LS460L. I don't think they added it until 2014. That to me is behind the curve many older cars had them already. Seems crazy they wouldn't add them until such a late date when it is their flagship sedan.
Old 02-24-17, 05:34 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts

The output of your high beam bulbs could have deteriorated if they are the originals or more than a few years old - especially since they also function as DRL. And if your headlight lenses are worn, output from both the high and low beams can be affected. Headlight lenses can often be refinished to function like new. And if your HID bulbs are the originals or have a lot of hours on them, their output may be lower than when new.

Most current Lexus models have available or standard automatic high beam headlights. A front facing camera senses the headlights of oncoming vehicles and the tail lights of vehicles ahead and keeps the high beams on as much as possible without blinding or even irritating other drivers. I don't think I appreciated how valuable high beam headlights are until I had a vehicle with this system that kept the high beams on as much as possible - it's like magic, The automatic system turns on the high beams a lot more often than I would if I were controlling them manually.

Xenon (HID) and "bi-xenon" are being obsoleted by multi-LED headlights that use masking to prevent blinding other drivers. There are some really cool videos on YouTube that show the multi-LED headlight systems that Mercedes, BMW and Audi are deploying in Europe.
Old 02-25-17, 02:51 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Did not know even a '11 does not deploy bi-xenon. I must admit I'm not missing much without using high beams, but the indicator on the dash was something relatively new to me when I saw it.

Yes I've driven a 2016 328i loaner with adaptive LED and it was impressive. I would order it on a new car--make no mistake the so-called MDX types of LED are not that, dunno if Acura has since stepped up or not.

But I rather like the color of most factory xenons, and I also appreciate the electrocution warnings of 25-40k volt stickers under the hoods too! (I never thought a point would come when all our cars have HID [Maxima doesn't count she's not driven anymore])

p.s. I was thinking about this--there are still people driving BMW loaners (my buddy has an Audi loaner) due to the Takata airbag scandal. the fact that they fixed my car last August and took away the loaner, that cost me maybe $16k buying and repairing the LS430. Somehow I feel cheated, but I don't lol
Old 02-25-17, 05:10 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

What are high beams?? I think the last time I used them was passing someone on the freeway or to annoy my wife when I back out of the driveway and shine the lights into the living room of the house...
Old 02-25-17, 05:20 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2KHarrier
What are high beams?? I think the last time I used them was passing someone on the freeway or to annoy my wife when I back out of the driveway and shine the lights into the living room of the house...
Exactly....but the adaptive LED on the 1 car that I've driven that had it, made it as if you were on highbeams all the time, and not when there was traffic ahead or oncoming. Still, if it's looks, and let's face it any LEDs besides tails are, I think HID's still look better than LED for headlamps....and again I like the electrocution part too. I mean, what fun would it be to replace a capacitor for your central AC unit without that...
Old 02-25-17, 07:17 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Yes I've driven a 2016 328i loaner with adaptive LED and it was impressive.
The BMW 3-series LED/curve adaptive headlight system received only a "Marginal" rating from the IIHS: http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/veh...oor-sedan/2016

Some vehicle models with LED or bi-xenon headlights including one with each from Mercedes got the worst IIHS headlight rating which is "Poor".

I wish it wasn't the case but there does not appear to be a correlation between headlight type (halogen, xenon, LED) and performance.

IIHS ratings for many vehicles can be viewed at http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings.

The main reason we have been buying only vehicles with LED or xenon headlights is to avoid replacing halogen bulbs which are prone to fail much more frequently.
The following users liked this post:
aypues (02-25-17)
Old 02-25-17, 07:24 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Kansas
The BMW 3-series LED/curve adaptive headlight system received only a "Marginal" rating from the IIHS: http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/veh...oor-sedan/2016

Some vehicle models with LED or bi-xenon headlights including one with each from Mercedes got the worst IIHS headlight rating which is "Poor".

I wish it wasn't the case but there does not appear to be a correlation between headlight type (halogen, xenon, LED) and performance.

IIHS ratings for many vehicles can be viewed at http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings.

The main reason we have been buying only vehicles with LED or xenon headlights is to avoid replacing halogen bulbs which are prone to fail much more frequently.
Didn't Corolla get excellent? That kind of puts the test into perspective...(I may be wrong)
Old 02-25-17, 08:01 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

I rarely get the opportunity to use the high beams. Although a few days ago a car facing me in opposite directions at an intersection nearly blinded me in broad daylight with 4 beams in my eyes. Flashed my high beams, but there was no reaction. There should be more cars with automatic high beams at don't blind people.
Old 02-25-17, 10:00 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by jayclapp
Flashed my high beams, but there was no reaction. There should be more cars with automatic high beams at don't blind people.
You can't fix stupid. Some people just don't get it...
Old 02-25-17, 10:05 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

You can't fix stupid. Some people just don't get it...
haha made me think of when I had a Volvo where the switch was on the blink. In other words, when high beams are on, the stalk does not move physically (hah I think the LS does? Like I said never use them), it just switches and comes back to the center again. I couldn't get my highs off on a road in western MA. Turns out the car I couldn't dim them for was a trooper.....took him a while to bang a u turn but eventually he caught up. I explained and he gave me a warning. there was another encounter with the MASS State Police where I suddenly saw a troop car dart out with lights flashing

"Do you know how long I've been following you?"

"No, I pulled over as soon as I saw you?"

"Try 18 miles."

RUH ROH!!

The vehicle was a Porsche 944 Turbo, and full of stuff so I couldn't see out the hatch....
Old 02-26-17, 03:01 AM
Fixman
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LED is new to headlight, but conceder this:
- Halogen light if fails u replace a bulb. Cheap.
- HID a bulb, balat, or both. Mor $.
- LED if I am not mestaken the assembly, as you can't by the LEDs separately and they are part of the headlight.
By the way LED intensity do reduce over time. And thou they put out mor lumenas they are not will designed. Look at the IIHS report.
Old 02-26-17, 05:15 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

This is what the adaptive LED looked like, and yes I'm taking the Fifth on why I cut out parts of the pic

I think I would opt for them on a car that has them, but again, like the look of HID the best

Name:  yhu_zpsi6szx1ix.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  42.2 KB
Old 02-26-17, 05:39 AM
takimanpgt
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Fixman
- LED if I am not mestaken the assembly, as you can't by the LEDs separately and they are part of the headlight.
By the way LED intensity do reduce over time. And thou they put out mor lumenas they are not will designed. Look at the IIHS report.
Actually - incorrect to make a flat statement like that about LED degradation. Yes - LEDs do have a lifetime and as such, mfrs do rate them over a 50,000 or 100,000 hr life but factors that speed up the degradation such as relative humidity, current levels and high temperatures must be taken into consideration as well. To me, the head lamps with LEDs will last well into a car's 12-15 yr lifetime at the same lumen output as original. When their intensity goes down, the newest owner of said car 15 yrs down the road may have to pick up an entire headlamp from a surplus salvage yard. Not a bad probability to live with.
Old 02-27-17, 11:54 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

With regards to your wife, maybe you mean "high screams"?