03 LS430 - Front and Rear Bumper Covers

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-16, 10:54 PM
Arcturus
Lead Lap

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Default 03 LS430 - Front and Rear Bumper Covers

Hello,

I have damaged front and rear bumper covers. The front has a missing parking sensor, a broke retainer at one side and some damage that the previous owner tried to fix poorly. The rear bumper cover has a big crack at the side some light impact damage at another locationand three broken parking sensors.

Just wanted to get your opinion on what is the best course of action. I was thinking of buying new bumper covers without parking sensor holes, getting them painted at a shop then installing them myself. For this approach does anyone know of any cool non OEM bumper covers that aren't for low riders? I don't plan on dropping the car and don't want to scrape it by lowering the clearance.

Do you think the most cost effective is to repair the existing covers or buy new ones? Do repairs for cracks hold up? Is there a way to close up the parking sensor holes so I can remove the sensors and it won't look weird. Sensors are like 300 each and from what I see they are just a gimmick - I never use them.

Any advice on options would be appreciated.
Old 12-31-16, 04:26 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Well, some interesting questions you have raised. I don't have much to offer on the aftermarket scene for bumper covers, as I 'm not really into that look. I can tell you there are products out there you can use to "repair" a flexible bumper cover, but there is quite a lot of prep work and it takes time to do it right.

I'm partial to the OEM look, and the car will benefit from not installing an ill-fitting after market bumper cover that promises great looks.

As far as removing the parking sensors, you can just fill in those holes, like you would repair a crack, but honestly, you may want to think about keeping them in tact.

Parking sensors do work well for letting you know how close you are to another vehicle or wall while parking. They're not just a gimmick.

Old 12-31-16, 09:39 PM
Arcturus
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 2KHarrier
Well, some interesting questions you have raised. I don't have much to offer on the aftermarket scene for bumper covers, as I 'm not really into that look. I can tell you there are products out there you can use to "repair" a flexible bumper cover, but there is quite a lot of prep work and it takes time to do it right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xECebNSFPp4

I'm partial to the OEM look, and the car will benefit from not installing an ill-fitting after market bumper cover that promises great looks.

As far as removing the parking sensors, you can just fill in those holes, like you would repair a crack, but honestly, you may want to think about keeping them in tact.

Parking sensors do work well for letting you know how close you are to another vehicle or wall while parking. They're not just a gimmick.

Thanks for the input. Yes the OEM bumper is a good look. Just wondering if there's something a little more sporty that bolts up like the OEM version.

For the parking sensors I guess it's a matter of personal preference. I have had the car like for some time without all functional parking sensors and have no problem parking it. I guess I have also driven old-school cars. The issue is that each sensor is like $300 dollars each and there are few on this car that need replacing. I'm not sure why they are so expensive, but I know others on this site have complained that they break frequently and can be damaged on the slightest impact. Anyhow it's food for thought. Thanks again for your feedback.
Old 01-01-17, 05:31 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

They're actually not expensive and fairly easy to replace. Lots of threads on here about those sensors and testing them, if you're interested.

I found this on amazon.com;

https://www.amazon.com/2001-2006-89341-50020-Parking-Sensor-PS341C0A1/dp/B01H1S6D2W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1483277386&sr=8-1&keywords=ls430+parking+sensor

Just
a thought...
Old 01-01-17, 08:55 AM
Arcturus
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 2KHarrier
They're actually not expensive and fairly easy to replace. Lots of threads on here about those sensors and testing them, if you're interested.

I found this on amazon.com;

https://www.amazon.com/2001-2006-89341-50020-Parking-Sensor-PS341C0A1/dp/B01H1S6D2W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1483277386&sr=8-1&keywords=ls430+parking+sensor

Just
a thought...
I actually have some of the sensors from Amazon on my workbench in my garage. I am almost certain they are from China since they are so cheap. Although they look very much like the OEM sensors, the factory resistance across the terminals is supposed to be something like 12k ohms, but mine are infinite resistance. I am already skeptical. I am in the process of testing them on the vehicle, but can never find the time. My feeling is that these are junk and I will need to try another supplier, but will let everyone know here when I get a chance.