IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Adding parking sensor holes to front bumper

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-17, 06:22 PM
kings222
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Adding parking sensor holes to front bumper

Hey everyone. I need a new front bumper and and my car has parking sensors but the bumper I’m looking at doesn’t. Is there a way a body shop can add those? Has anyone done it?

thanks!
Old 10-11-17, 11:08 PM
Pushtape
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kings222
Hey everyone. I need a new front bumper and and my car has parking sensors but the bumper I’m looking at doesn’t. Is there a way a body shop can add those? Has anyone done it?

thanks!
I'm sorry but if it's an IS-F, buy the proper bumper. just sayin
Old 10-12-17, 05:45 AM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Yeah, that should be doable, but I couldn't say for sure without looking at the inside of a front bumper that already has park assist.

I'm in a similar situation, but it's for my rear bumper cover. I just had it replaced and I elected to forego the park assist components for now.. Those sensors are $250 ea! Along with the wiring harness & other misc clips, etc, it would have cost me $1K or more just for the additional parts (at least three of my sensors were damaged). On top of my other repair costs, I didn't want to fork over the extra cash for a feature that's really not all that important to me.. That $1K will get me 4 track days or go toward more mods.. My back-up camera will suffice for now.

After looking at my old damaged bumper cover (hanging in my garage), I decided that adding park assist to the new one is something I could do on my own later. Though, I may only do that if I can score some second hand sensors. I think the most difficult part would be drilling new holes in the right locations without damaging the finish.. Once the holes are there, it's looks like everything else just clips in & gets held in place by the sensor rings on the outside.. I'll try to get some pics this weekend to show you what I mean.

-Mike
Old 10-12-17, 09:41 AM
kings222
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Pushtape
I'm sorry but if it's an IS-F, buy the proper bumper. just sayin

it's an OEM ISF bumper...not all ISFs have parking sensors.
Old 10-12-17, 03:46 PM
s2kjer
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Buy the correct bumper for the car that fits the sensors.. This is not a civic where you can just drill them and it will look "ok"
Old 10-12-17, 03:53 PM
Rossi
Racer

Received 185 Likes on 122 Posts

Parking sensors are one of the most annoying features, I am so happy my F doesn’t have it.
Old 10-12-17, 06:41 PM
Pushtape
Driver

Originally Posted by Rossi
Parking sensors are one of the most annoying features, I am so happy my F doesn’t have it.
You can turn them off?

Also: what are the cost differences between the bump w/o and with parking sensors? I guess when mine were replaced it didn't matter since the damage didn't affect them? I can look at how much I paid for my rear OEM to my VIN but I'd imagine the front is quite a bit more expensive.
Old 10-12-17, 07:42 PM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by s2kjer
Buy the correct bumper for the car that fits the sensors.. This is not a civic where you can just drill them and it will look "ok"
I'm pretty sure the only difference between a bumper cover for park assist & one without is the pre-drilled holes. Aside from drilling holes in the right spots (& without damaging the paint/clear coat), I don't see any reason the sensors couldn't be added to a bumper cover that didn't come pre-drilled. It would be even easier if the holes were drilled before painting.

Once the holes are there, everything else can be re-used or replaced with new parts. The sensors are held to the bumper with snap-in rings that are pre-painted from the factory (see pics).

Originally Posted by Pushtape
You can turn them off?

Also: what are the cost differences between the bump w/o and with parking sensors? I guess when mine were replaced it didn't matter since the damage didn't affect them? I can look at how much I paid for my rear OEM to my VIN but I'd imagine the front is quite a bit more expensive.
Rear is $10 more w/park assist, front is $16 more. So, if it was being purchased new, then it certainly makes sense to go ahead and pay up for the pre-drilled part.

Last edited by mikersoft; 10-12-17 at 07:45 PM.
Old 10-12-17, 08:23 PM
Pushtape
Driver

Originally Posted by mikersoft
I'm pretty sure the only difference between a bumper cover for park assist & one without is the pre-drilled holes. Aside from drilling holes in the right spots (& without damaging the paint/clear coat), I don't see any reason the sensors couldn't be added to a bumper cover that didn't come pre-drilled. It would be even easier if the holes were drilled before painting.

Once the holes are there, everything else can be re-used or replaced with new parts. The sensors are held to the bumper with snap-in rings that are pre-painted from the factory (see pics).

Rear is $10 more w/park assist, front is $16 more. So, if it was being purchased new, then it certainly makes sense to go ahead and pay up for the pre-drilled part.
I was more referring to the cost of the sensors themselves rather than the holes. But looking them up, $30 a piece or so give or take? ouch. glad mine weren't damaged I guess. at least they look like they are ok lol
Old 10-13-17, 07:36 AM
kings222
Pole Position

Just to clear it up...im not buying one with already with holes predrilled because i started a business and I dont have the funds to buy a brand new bumper and than paint it and install it.

The one isnt painted that i found and just needs paint and the holes drilled. I have all the parking sensors as they're already on my bumper right now.

I also hate seeing my car look messed up because of my front bumper.

Thanks Mikersoft for the pics