LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Winter Related Questions

Old 09-02-16, 01:53 PM
dmmoroney
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter Related Questions

So I recently picked up an 04 430, and it's amazing. It is the sweetest ride I have experienced.

I am now possibly changing jobs, and would be driving about 45 minutes vs. 15, and over 2 mountains.

So, being a big RWD sedan, how is the 430 to drive in snowy weather? I'm around the NYC, North NJ area, so winter can be hit or miss. And I HOPE that if it's bad enough out, work will not open for the day!

Obviously, regardless of the commute, I will be getting snow tires. These tires, although not apparently the best in deep snow, but OK, seem very, very cheap price wise:

https://simpletire.com/catalog?year=...&query=catalog

Then there's the General Arctic and a bunch others right around that $100 mark.

So basically, 2 questions;

1) Anybody have experience driving the 430 in the snow? If so, how is it?
2) Any recommendations on snow tires that won't break the bank?

Thanks!
Old 09-02-16, 04:42 PM
takimanpgt
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

1) My LS is basically my winter car. It handles very well for such a big heavy sedan. Caveat is that you, the driver, must drive the car like it is a RWD car - not like a FWD or AWD car. It takes a little bit getting used to feathering the throttle to take off from a stop or stop in time or taking a turn but once you learn and adapt your driving skills, the car basically is a trooper.

2) I've always used either Bridgestone or Michelins so cannot speak to other tires. Currently using the Blizzak WS series and this will be my last season on them, if that. With winter tires, I can drive confidently and carefully at the same time without thought to getting stuck and/or being unable to get somewhere even through a blizzard like condition. A set of the X-Ices run about $500 but with that said, it looks like the Hankooks have a good review from the Subie guys as well as the Focus guys so I;d say it makes sense to buy those tires at the price you posted! My tire size takes me up to $100 a tire at which point I may as well stay with the Bridgestones or the Michelins.
Old 09-02-16, 09:01 PM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

Driving the LS in winter on a set of good snow tires will be easy.
I have Hancook I-Pikes now ad while they are not great in deep snow they get thru the city conditions just fine. They are super quiet.

I used to have much cheaper Firestone Winterforce tires on my LS for a couple of years and they were AWESOME in deep snow. The car drove great in the winter, but the noise they made on clean roads was absolutely unbelievable.

If you are in the mountains make sure you buy a tire that's good in deep snow, with a "block" pattern to get a good grip in snow, even if it is noisy. It should (??) have the mountain/snowflake logo ( they do in Canada ) and dont use the same tire size you drive in the summer .... buy a narrower and taller tire as well.
Old 09-03-16, 07:00 AM
dmmoroney
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Hankook Winter i*cept evo W310 seems almost too good to pass up on @ $51.99 per tire with free S&H though, doesn't it? I keep seeing them for $125+ on other sites. Kinda weird though!

EDIT: Here's another thought I'm having (which my wife thinks I'm crazy because I got my LS 430 2 weeks ago today), but I'm looking a couple of 2011 L/Certified LS 460 AWD right around the $30K mark. I kow some people feel there was a drop off in quality from the 430, but they are beautiful cars, and the AWD is VERY appealing to me.

Any thoughts on either of these statements?

Last edited by dmmoroney; 09-03-16 at 08:59 AM.
Old 09-03-16, 07:48 PM
takimanpgt
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You'd pay thousands more to go AWD instead of $200 for winter tires? I dunno - does not compute for me.

I live in the upper Midwest and get socked with snow most every winter. I distinctly remember those blizzard days when most people stay home and I trekked into work because I could. That's how trusting I am of the car's capabilities.

At the end of the day - it's your money. Do what you desire with and be happy with the choice you made. No buyer regrets of any kind.
Old 09-04-16, 07:09 AM
mncz
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I second Stu's comments on the Firestone tires. A bit noisy, and you will lose about 2mpg. But great in snow, good on ice.

It drives similar to other RWD sedans of course, like a Crown Vic or Town Car. A little more back-end kickout, probably due to the torque. I've had 4 of those cars, and didn't need snows, so there's something about the LS that nearly necessitates it. In the LS, I tried All-Seasons for one winter, and it was okay. The next winter, a worse one, I got stuck at the bottom of a hill, just before it becomes an intersection. That was enough to prompt the purchase of snow tires.