LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Vercelli Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-16, 08:27 AM
Derrty
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vercelli Tires?

Anyone familiar with the Vercelli brand? I couldn't find a lot of info on Google other than American-Omni as the parent company.

The reason I ask is because I can have a set of brand new 245/45/18 installed for $400 flat at a local tire shop. Never heard of this brand before, but I've learned that doesn't mean its not a good deal, you know?

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-23-16, 09:42 AM
zapola6
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Much like you I found nothing on them, I don’t think I would touch them… But that’s me… No major web site has anything on them, no manufacture information available, no reviews, no news, and no reviews anywhere. There are a lot of them available on E-bay. I’m just a betting man, and I’m betting that these are some China Bomb tire.

For the price, I betting what you will get will be incredibly noisy, poor ride and you will not be able to keep them balanced.I base that off of a set of Primwell’s that the dealer had put on mine before I bought it… They too were 60K mile tires that lasted 15K. Pricing under $80 per tire.

I was close, just found this… Made in Thailand, Parent company Sentury Tire (Thailand) Co., Ltd. https://panjiva.com/Manufacturers-Of/vercelli

The VERCELLI product has not yet been made publicly available yet in the United States. The VERCELLI is in the category of Vehicles and Products for locomotion by land, air or water .

Last edited by zapola6; 08-23-16 at 09:46 AM.
Old 08-23-16, 10:00 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,134 Likes on 1,301 Posts

I think this is a "are you willing to bet your life on what looks like a deal to good to be true?" situations.

Answer for me is absolutely not. If that's your budget, look for a set of used tires somewhere instead.
Old 08-23-16, 10:51 AM
Derrty
Driver School Candidate

Excellent. Thanks for your thoughts. I had the same gut feeling, but wanted to see if anyone had experience with them. I will surely pass on them.

Can you recommend a good "value" tire? I have Michelins on right now about at the end of their lives. I just don't want to spend $200+/ tire if there's a better value known to the community. I trust your opinions far more than other reviews elsewhere.
Old 08-23-16, 12:37 PM
zapola6
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I’m running Michelin’s on the 2001 LS, Ford Excursion (tows our 36ft travel trailer) and the wife’s 2014 Audi A7. When new, the A-7 had Goodyear Eagle II. From day one I was not happy with the tires and I will leave it at that, they lasted 25K miles. Couldn’t whip out the credit card quick enough to get them off of her car.

My reason for Michelin’s – I know what I’m getting.

We did just add a 2007 Audi Q7 to the stable as well. I made the deal with the dealer contingent upon him putting a set of tires on it… My requirement to the dealer that they were name brand. They put Cooper on in April, so far satisfied with them, quit and smooth, no complaints.

Looking at Discount Tire web site – Michelin Defender is $625 (Colorado Prices) out the door before the $70 mail in rebate. So total cost $555 with life time balance, get their credit card and take another $30 off. There are a lot of people in here running Continental with rave reviews. Discount does not have a rebate on these. But the tires are a couple of $’s cheaper.

Those would be my choices, Michelin, Continental or Cooper. I would look at whatever tire chain shop you have in your area, and being that this is an exercise in economy add COSTCO and Sam’s, and look for the deal that fits your budget. Tirerack.com has a lot of tire reviews and a great place for information if not a purchase.

I’m pretty confident that if you put a $60 tire on your car it will cost you far more in the long run and you will not be close to happy, especially coming off Michelins and going to some China Bomb tire. Keep in mind that that $60 tire still needs to be mounted and balanced, you are out the door @ $100 per tire, so $400 for that China Bomb set -vs- $555 for Michelin’s.

I call them Bombs for a reason......

Hope my ramblings help, Let us know what you end up doing.

Steve

Last edited by zapola6; 08-23-16 at 12:40 PM.
Old 08-23-16, 12:41 PM
vfr700f2
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

"Value" = tire that safely, reliably and comfortably takes you down the road for at least 50K mi.

You're driving a car that originally stickered at ~$60K, has 245/45/18 tires, and you're pinching pennies. Please take this as friendly advice, not a flame: be willing to spend the price of quality products or get something that is inherently cheaper to operate. Quality tires for a Corolla are very affordable.

I did a Tire Rack search and applied a bunch of filters to narrow down the selection. If you click on this link and get more than 20 results, the filtering didn't get passed along in the link. You can get plenty of mid-level brands for under $150 ea, and higher-end tires up to $180, where I cut off the search. There are even clearance deals on a Pirelli and Michelin. Here's the link: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...45&diameter=18

Old 08-23-16, 12:43 PM
Derrty
Driver School Candidate

Steve - thank you for your excellent and thorough investigative analysis of my situation. I do love Cooper tires, and I believe they are the last remaining American made tire. I had them on my last 5-series and were happy overall.

You're right. I'm sticking with the Michelins or Coopers. The difference in price is negligible.

Thanks all!
Old 08-23-16, 12:50 PM
Derrty
Driver School Candidate

VFR, I appreciate the perspective, and I value your opinion. However, looking for value and pinching pennies are not always the same, and it's not the same in my case. I asked for opinions on a good value tire that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, not for a bargain basement back alley tire. I asked because, although I have done much of the same research, the opinions of those here who have actually used specific tires are of more value to me than a generic review on Tire Rack. Thanks again!
Old 08-23-16, 01:00 PM
vfr700f2
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I like the Continental DWS I've used on my BMW for many years, but they're ~50% more money in your size than they are in the super-popular 245/40/17 on my car. They're one of the least expensive good tires in my size.
Old 08-23-16, 09:18 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Check out the Pirelli Zero Nero or something 69 bucks a tire on Tire Rack Sporty Summer tire rated ok.
Old 08-23-16, 09:29 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Never had this tire but love the scorpions on both my other vehicles. 69 bucks get em before they are gone if you want a solid value tire. or the Sumitomo some fella liked
Old 08-23-16, 09:31 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

https://www.treadhunter.com/brands/models/5632
Old 03-11-17, 08:27 AM
Glenda22
Driver School Candidate

Default Tire review

I was also shopping around for tires and came across the Vercelli Strada at a great price but like all of you I wasn't able to find any information on them. I was in a bind and needed tires ASAP at a fair price and the ones I was gonna get weren't in stock an I found these on Jet.com with a 15% off coupon and was willing to take a chance because they are All Weather High Performance tires in stock in my size 235/45/18 all 4 for $204.00 with free shipping. I couldn't pass up that deal and figured if they were crap at least I wasn't out a lot of money.
Well I've had them on my Suzuki Kizashi for 3 weeks and drive 100 miles 4 days a week and I am VERY HAPPY with my purchase, they are quiet, way quieter then the Goodyears I had on previously and they grip the road well in dry and wet conditions, no complaints at all. They ride like a dream and I'm so happy I took the chance on these tires and would HIGHLY recommend them to anyone wanting good tires for a good price. Since I couldn't find any reviews on these tires I wanted to make sure I reviewed them after I drove on them for a while in case anyone was considering them, now they have an honest review from someone who actually owns them.

Bottom line, if your looking for a deal on good tires these are it. I'm pretty sure you won't regret it.
Old 03-11-17, 10:08 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

interesting 1st post...

FYI, this is a Kizashi,
Old 03-11-17, 11:44 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I'm rockin' Rydanz Roaster 02's in the spring/summer, they're no names, I suppose Vercellis are probably ok too. I don't normally skimp on tires but they came with the used car. I think the stories where people make it sound like you're a bad person and risking the lives of your family and all other motorists are exaggerated.....you do that if you're operating your cars non hands free imho....Rydanz at least are sold locally at Mavis. Again, I can't see simply throwing away new tires, I was not taught to do that and it just seems absurd to do so just because the NHTSA says they're not safe (that was a joke)...

Quick Reply: Vercelli Tires?