LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Rain Sensor after windshield replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-16, 05:58 PM
ToneyCross
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rain Sensor after windshield replacement

Had my windshield replaced and the installer ordered the part from Lexus that goes between sensor and glass. There are no bubble and sensor is perfectly installed; however not working. I've read the owners manual and there is no mention of a reset. Only my intermittent function works. Manual says it will do this if glass is hot or there is bright sun. There's neither of those conditions- I've tried switching ignition on off and all sorts of scenarios and yet intermittent returns. Anyone know what I can do to get the auto wipers back? They have worked flawlessly since new-
Old 08-02-16, 07:44 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Some after-market windshields will not work with the auto-sensing rain auto wiper system ... something to do with the refraction characteristics in the glass. What type windshield was installed, Pilkington?
Old 08-02-16, 09:03 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

The installer is responsible for making sure that the glass in installed correctly and that the rain sensor works properly. Call them, tell them the sensor wipers don't work, and tell them to come fix it. This is a common problem when installers either don't know what they are doing or using junk parts.

If they don't respond and fix the problem, contact your insurance agent. Don't take no for an answer.
Old 08-02-16, 09:09 PM
Cali2is
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

The installer needs to install a new gel pack in the sensor.
Old 08-02-16, 09:11 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

You don't have to tell the installer what to do or replace. Just tell him to fix the problem. That's up to him, don't try to tell him what he has to do other than fix it.
Old 08-03-16, 06:06 PM
ToneyCross
Driver School Candidate

He replaced the gel thing from Lexus. It still doesn't work. It's a PPG glass. He refunded me the full amount and said he isn't responsible any longer. I feel he is, it was working before. They have a lifetime warranty but now he said since he refunded me the 277.66 for the glass and seal that he's out of it- I'm sitting here with a new glass not cracked but wipers that now only are on or off. Grrr I despise constantly adjusting the speed
Old 08-03-16, 07:31 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

It's called rain sensor tape. Some windshield brands don't work with the rain sensing tape.
Old 08-04-16, 09:20 AM
KawiLex
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a ppg windscreen and the sensor works great. Did that help? Lol
Old 08-04-16, 11:20 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Talk to your insurance agent and insist he fix the problem. Tell him you want OEM glass if you glass doesn't work. That should get his attention.
Old 08-04-16, 02:30 PM
Coulter
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

If you got a complete refund for both the labor and the glass, I think the installer has sufficiently paid for the mistake. You now have a new, free windshield.

The idea that its still his problem seems over the top.

See if your insurance will pay the $1,500 to a Lexus dealership for a new windshield. That's more than I pay for a year in insurance premiums.
Old 08-05-16, 12:01 AM
ToneyCross
Driver School Candidate

Well can I come pay you 277.66 and break something in your car? Of course it's still his problem.. Jeez accountability is responsibility -
Old 08-05-16, 09:09 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

Actually, I think him giving you a complete refund is pretty honorable, I don't know what you want beyond that. You got a brand new windshield for free.

FWIW, I have an aftermarket windshield, Pilkington, and the rain sensor works great. No issues and I didn't have to buy anything extra.

Old 08-05-16, 09:20 AM
Coulter
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ToneyCross
Well can I come pay you 277.66 and break something in your car? Of course it's still his problem.. Jeez accountability is responsibility -
I thought you said he gave you a full refund? So how can you say you "paid him money to break something" on your car.

The install wasn't to your satisfaction, he gave you a complete refund for his labor and gave you a free windshield.

Sounds pretty reasonable to me. Do you think this guy owes you punitive damages beyond that?

***** happens and he stepped up and made it right.

So talk to your insurance company and get another installer.

BTW, if you sued this guy after he gave you all your money back, a judge would laugh you out of court.
Old 09-07-20, 02:02 AM
yousayblah
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ToneyCross
Had my windshield replaced and the installer ordered the part from Lexus that goes between sensor and glass. There are no bubble and sensor is perfectly installed; however not working. I've read the owners manual and there is no mention of a reset. Only my intermittent function works. Manual says it will do this if glass is hot or there is bright sun. There's neither of those conditions- I've tried switching ignition on off and all sorts of scenarios and yet intermittent returns. Anyone know what I can do to get the auto wipers back? They have worked flawlessly since new-
howzit
dont know if you got the problem fixed already...?
check the colour of the Top Shade on the glass
a Lexus has the Bronze Tint
land Cruisers have a Blue/Green Tint
(those Two vehicles use the same size glass)
if the Tint is not Bronze, your Rain Sensor Component might not work function correctly
The following users liked this post:
430Dreamer (09-07-20)
Old 03-13-22, 06:13 AM
leahcm
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default She’s in the right.

Originally Posted by Coulter
I thought you said he gave you a full refund? So how can you say you "paid him money to break something" on your car.

The install wasn't to your satisfaction, he gave you a complete refund for his labor and gave you a free windshield.

Sounds pretty reasonable to me. Do you think this guy owes you punitive damages beyond that?

***** happens and he stepped up and made it right.

So talk to your insurance company and get another installer.

BTW, if you sued this guy after he gave you all your money back, a judge would laugh you out of court.
This is a really old post, but for those reading it who currently have the same issue like me…she’s absolutely right! She’d have an easy win in court actually because refunding her money doesn’t make her whole which is the standard in a court of law. If she was asking for extra damages for her stress or inconvenience, that is too much but asking that her car work the same way it did before he worked on it is reasonable. He refunded her money to avoid responsibility and obligation, not to do the right thing. He’s responsible for fixing what he broke even if it means a financial loss on the job. And if he did fix the issue, he wouldn’t have had to refund anything unless as a courtesy for the inconvenience of the problem and to get a return customer. Saying she got a free windshield is ridiculous if the windshield is causing her wipers to not work properly and is not the correct windshield for her car. She got a free piece of glass she had to recycle. Had he replaced it correctly, she’d have a new windshield and working wipers for her money. He damaged her car and a refund doesn’t fix that damage.
The following 2 users liked this post by leahcm:
BigBoomer (03-15-22), mannye (05-16-23)