LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Audio system off after jump start?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-16, 05:44 PM
james1245
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Audio system off after jump start?

Hi, I recently had to jumpstart my '02 LS430 and now the entire audio system isn't working.

After jump starting the car, I noticed the tilt/telescoping feature on the steering wheel would not work. I ended up disconnecting the battery and that starting working again, even with the memory settings. My audio system, however, did not begin working after reconnecting the battery. When I hit the audio button it just reads "Audio Off." The radio, cassette and CD player are unresponsive. The lights on the unit do not even light up at night with the rest of the interior lights.

At first I thought it might be a fuse but I checked the one marked "radio" in the passenger side fuse box and it was fine. I'm assuming thats the correct one to check.

To be clear, the speakers and nav screen work. Navigation instructions still come through the speakers. Its only the audio system.

Any ideas?
Old 02-14-16, 03:04 PM
mrboca
Rookie

Originally Posted by james1245
Hi, I recently had to jumpstart my '02 LS430 and now the entire audio system isn't working.

After jump starting the car, I noticed the tilt/telescoping feature on the steering wheel would not work. I ended up disconnecting the battery and that starting working again, even with the memory settings. My audio system, however, did not begin working after reconnecting the battery. When I hit the audio button it just reads "Audio Off." The radio, cassette and CD player are unresponsive. The lights on the unit do not even light up at night with the rest of the interior lights.

At first I thought it might be a fuse but I checked the one marked "radio" in the passenger side fuse box and it was fine. I'm assuming thats the correct one to check.

To be clear, the speakers and nav screen work. Navigation instructions still come through the speakers. Its only the audio system.

Any ideas?
Keep pressing the power button till it resets the audio system for several seconds, and with the car running.
Old 02-20-16, 04:04 PM
james1245
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mrboca
Keep pressing the power button till it resets the audio system for several seconds, and with the car running.
You mean hold it down? I tried doing that and nothing happened.

Any other options?
Old 03-11-16, 05:30 PM
fensterlip
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Disconnect the battery for a few minutes then reconnect. You might have to do it twice. I've had that happen twice when coming back from the shop. It's strange but it works.
Old 03-14-16, 04:00 AM
james1245
Driver School Candidate

Apparently I was checking the wrong fuse. I replaced it and everything started working again. The fuse was hard to see because it wasn't aligned with the panel door. It was hidden behind the top of the opening.

By the way I never noticed that there are extra fuses and a fuse graber in the fuse box next to the battery under the hood.
Old 07-14-22, 03:18 PM
IS400F
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by james1245
Apparently I was checking the wrong fuse. I replaced it and everything started working again. The fuse was hard to see because it wasn't aligned with the panel door. It was hidden behind the top of the opening.

By the way I never noticed that there are extra fuses and a fuse graber in the fuse box next to the battery under the hood.
Hi I am have the same issue, i.e. audio not working after jump start, and steering wheel was acting strange but has sorted itself out.

Can you please confirm which fuse it was that you changed??

I have checked all my relevant fuses but none are blown, I must be checking the wrong ones??

Thanks!!