LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Transmission fluid question

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-15, 01:24 PM
LSKelvin
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transmission fluid question

So I know trans fluid flushes are generally frowned upon with the ws transmissions, but I picked up this 2004 with 170k on it with what I'm assuming is original fluid. Pours like water, smells burnt, etc. I've got 13 quarts of WS sitting in the garage. So my question is should I do 4 or so drain and fills each maybe a few weeks apart or buy a few more quarts and get someone to flush it for me?
Old 09-01-15, 01:33 PM
Fixman
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The refill is not drain and fill. It requires multiple steps. Search and you will get it.
My recommendation if you are not comfortable withe it do it at dealer or reputable shop, withe a new filter.
Old 09-01-15, 02:03 PM
LSKelvin
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Fixman
The refill is not drain and fill. It requires multiple steps. Search and you will get it.
My recommendation if you are not comfortable withe it do it at dealer or reputable shop, withe a new filter.
I guess I'm getting my terminology wrong but that is what I was referring to as a drain and fill.
Old 09-01-15, 04:04 PM
toddmorr
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

well you'll get plenty of opinions on this but thats all they are. I've heard very little if any hard engineering data on the subject.
if it were me in your situation, I'd do the drain and fill as many times as it took for the fluid to come out reasonably red. Probably 500 or so miles apart. With that approach you get very close to the same end point, with lower risk. by the way, if you go that route, tilt the front of the car up and then drain...that tactic is getting me another half qt in the drain, as opposed to draining from a flat car. Move the shifter through the gears too...that seems to shake loose additional fluid too.
Old 09-01-15, 04:39 PM
LSKelvin
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by toddmorr
well you'll get plenty of opinions on this but thats all they are. I've heard very little if any hard engineering data on the subject.
if it were me in your situation, I'd do the drain and fill as many times as it took for the fluid to come out reasonably red. Probably 500 or so miles apart. With that approach you get very close to the same end point, with lower risk. by the way, if you go that route, tilt the front of the car up and then drain...that tactic is getting me another half qt in the drain, as opposed to draining from a flat car. Move the shifter through the gears too...that seems to shake loose additional fluid too.
That was my original plan. My 4runner has a sealed transmission too. So been over the whole sealed trans no flushing thing, but have never encountered fluid quite this old. Although changing the fluid on that is much easier since I can just slide underneath it without the need for a jack.
Old 09-01-15, 05:14 PM
toddmorr
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

yeah the age of your fluid does give one pause. I'm going through this with fluid that is 65k old, and while not burnt or watery, there was little to no hint of red in it. Not acceptable to me at all. I've done two drain and fills, am quite curious to see what i get in the third drain. I've been taking pictures and will post up when the series is done.
Old 09-02-15, 03:28 AM
Fixman
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As your car a 2004 it's the 6 speed trans. The fluid is not read. The filling proceder as I remember requires to fill till oil idle coming out of the full plug. Then start the engine to bring the oil to a certain temp then fill from the full plug. And repeat 4,5 times till oil come out of the full plug. That is why I suggested to search it 1st.
It's not like the old transitions wher you drain, fit new filter, and fill from dipstick. Drive for few miles and recheck the dipstick and add as needed.
All I am trying to do is give you advise on what I have learned from other members.
The call is yours.
Wish you all the best.
Old 09-02-15, 05:10 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Everything you possibly could need to know is in this fantastic thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...er-thread.html
Old 09-02-15, 08:12 AM
XJSFan
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
Everything you possibly could need to know is in this fantastic thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...er-thread.html
I agree... My preferred method is to do 2-3 drain and fills. If you drive up on front ramps, you should get 3 quarts or so to drain out and then replace with the same amount. Do this every few weeks or 500 miles...
Old 09-02-15, 10:02 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

It's a heated debate, but I know many transmission builders that will tell you if it's at 170k on the original fluid, you could be opening up Pandora's box by changing the fluid, even with just "drain and fills".

I would ask around some transmission shops and get some input.

I think the ideal would be to change the fluid in a timely manner, but I do think once you reach a certain point it becomes a gamble as fresh fluid has a lot of detergents that can pull out varnish and deposits. Other people here will have different thoughts on it but I think you should know both sides.

Let us know how it works out for you.
Old 09-02-15, 10:10 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

I have only done drain and fills on my '01 (264K miles). No issues.
Old 09-02-15, 01:26 PM
tchoudry
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS 430 Transmission Flush Questions...

Guys, I own an LS430 2006 model year and when it had over 100K miles I started researching about replacing/completely flushing the transmission fluid. I came across multiple posts in favor of it and against it. Then, I finally spoke with an engineer (materials science) who said, there is no oil that has ever known to last forever. All oils have life and viscosity that wears off with time and friction. So, I took it to a private shop and they very easily hooked it up to the oil replenishing machine and poured 13 Qts of fresh WS oil (right in front of me); and started the car. The whole process took less than 10 minutes and much to my surprise, the old oil was like black dirty water like material. And the mechanic told me that I came at the right time, and hopefully no damage was done to the trany. So, my advice to the wise guys is that "please go ahead and take it to any private shop who has this machine; and most of them do. It cost me only $175.00. The process is very easy. First they took the plastic shield from under the car; then they exposed the two transmission hoses; detached them and hooked the machine. The rest is machines' job. I actually wasted months exploring and ran into much controversial stupid and unnecessary debates and posts. Ask any engineer and use your own brain. Nothing lasts forever! So, replaced it if you have over 60K miles asap. I hope that helps. if you are confused on any of this,, contact me and I can further guide you.

Originally Posted by Fixman
Old 09-02-15, 01:28 PM
tchoudry
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't worry about you model year; just get a complete transmission flush. I know some 2001 thru 2003 have drain and fill capability. If so, go ahead and drain and fill the same amount you took out. At least half is fresh.
Old 09-02-15, 01:47 PM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

might have to add this thread into the mother thread.
Old 09-03-15, 05:40 PM
aypues
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by tchoudry
Guys, I own an LS430 2006 model year and when it had over 100K miles I started researching about replacing/completely flushing the transmission fluid. I came across multiple posts in favor of it and against it. Then, I finally spoke with an engineer (materials science) who said, there is no oil that has ever known to last forever. All oils have life and viscosity that wears off with time and friction. So, I took it to a private shop and they very easily hooked it up to the oil replenishing machine and poured 13 Qts of fresh WS oil (right in front of me); and started the car. The whole process took less than 10 minutes and much to my surprise, the old oil was like black dirty water like material. And the mechanic told me that I came at the right time, and hopefully no damage was done to the trany. So, my advice to the wise guys is that "please go ahead and take it to any private shop who has this machine; and most of them do. It cost me only $175.00. The process is very easy. First they took the plastic shield from under the car; then they exposed the two transmission hoses; detached them and hooked the machine. The rest is machines' job. I actually wasted months exploring and ran into much controversial stupid and unnecessary debates and posts. Ask any engineer and use your own brain. Nothing lasts forever! So, replaced it if you have over 60K miles asap. I hope that helps. if you are confused on any of this,, contact me and I can further guide you.

Are there any issues with doing the full flush with 13 quarts? I thought people said it was better to do multiple drain and refills of like 3 quarts. I have 144k and am due for service soon, and it's never been changed in my 04... Ive been thinking about it.

Quick Reply: Transmission fluid question