LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Lexus / Toyota AFS light headlight level sensor

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-15, 07:38 PM
jimdwright
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb Lexus / Toyota AFS light headlight level sensor

This fix applies to many Lexus / Toyota models with HID headlights and the required auto-levelling system. My 05 LS AFS light starting blinking fast. Checking various internet sites including this one yielded the likelihood of the problem being a headlight level sensor gone bad. Many were looking for a replacement part that cost less than the $300+ for the OEM part.

Other than the flashing AFS light, when I turned my headlights on at night I could see them do a check cycle or something - dipping then raising then dipping. But driving down the road they were aimed WAY low. Changing the headlight level sensor fixed that.

The Dorman 924-755 headlight level sensor cost me $56 on Amazon and appears to be a fit for all of the Toyota and Lexus models. I have reason to believe that the car may have two sensors - both on the left side of the car, near the front axle and the rear axle. I only replaced the rear one, which fixed my problem so didn't check the other location.

Installation is very easy. Took me 20 minutes. You don't need to get under the car.
Tools needed - tire removal stuff, regular phillips screwdriver, 10mm wrench

1. Remove the left rear wheel.

2. Looking straight toward the other side of the car just to the rear of the axle, you will see a 3-4mm - 1/8th in. vertical rod going up to a pivot joint, with a horizontal arm that connects to the rotating headlight level sensor shaft. The electrical connector will be pointing upward and the sensor is held by three screws to a bracket mounted to the chasis.

3. Remove the nut and washer from the shaft of the sensor. Slide the pivot arm off and let it hang. Notice the shape of the hole in the arm - with one curved side.

4. Remove the 2 bolts holding the sensor bracket and then press the connector retaining clip and remove the connector, leaving the sensor and bracket loose to take away from the car.

5. Remove the 3 phillips screws that mount the sensor; then mount the new one in its place. Note the shape of the alignment feature at the base of the threaded shaft - 3 flat sides and one curved side. You will turn the shaft a little one way or the other to match the same pattern in the pivot arm.

6. Re-mount the sensor/bracket assy to the chasis with the 2 bolts.

7. Place the hole in the pivot arm over the threaded shaft of the sensor and rotate the shaft until the shaft's alignment feature shape and the hole in the pivot arm match and lock the shaft from rotating. Hold the pivot arm tightly against the sensor so that the arm can't slip out of position - the shaft is locked from rotating. First the washer and then the nut onto the shaft, making sure that the shaft doesn't rotate. If it does you'll have to feel your way back to having it locked into position by the pivot shaft hole before final tightening.

8. Verify that the pivot arm is indeed almost flush with the sensor body, indicating that the hole over the shaft is properly mated with the alignment feature on the shaft. Remount the tire and check that the AFS light no longer blinks, and that the headlights are back to the right level on the road.

9. My thought was that if the AFS light were still blinking I would have installed the removed sensor as a replacement for the front one (if it exists).
Old 04-05-15, 12:47 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Do you have a link to where you got this from?
Old 04-07-15, 11:41 AM
jimdwright
Driver School Candidate

Just put Dorman 924-755 into your favorite search engine or use the link below

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...dorman+924-755
Old 04-08-15, 08:57 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by jimdwright
Just put Dorman 924-755 into your favorite search engine or use the link below

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...dorman+924-755
Amazon's product application/fitment tool says that part # is NOT compatible with a 2005 LS430.
Old 04-09-15, 02:46 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LS430inDE.
Amazon's product application/fitment tool says that part # is NOT compatible with a 2005 LS430.
Thats what i saw whebn i looked it up.
Old 04-09-15, 03:26 PM
jimdwright
Driver School Candidate

Well, all I can tell you is that their fitment database must be wrong because it's identical (other than manufacturer) to the one I took off my 2005 LS430. I have to admit that I thought I might be risking $56 because the pictures show the 4-screw side that holds the cover down and doesn't show the 3 holes where the phillips screws attach it to the leveling linkage.
Also, as I said, it fixed my AFS light blinking and my headlights moved back up from their down-pointing position.
Jim

Last edited by jimdwright; 04-09-15 at 03:26 PM. Reason: changed 460 to 430
Old 04-09-15, 05:31 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by jimdwright
Well, all I can tell you is that their fitment database must be wrong because it's identical (other than manufacturer) to the one I took off my 2005 LS430. I have to admit that I thought I might be risking $56 because the pictures show the 4-screw side that holds the cover down and doesn't show the 3 holes where the phillips screws attach it to the leveling linkage.
Also, as I said, it fixed my AFS light blinking and my headlights moved back up from their down-pointing position.
Jim
That is good to know info when my other sensor fails. I'll try your source first.

I think the part bought at dealership cost me $150 maybe 2 years ago? Failure symptoms were same as yours: flashing AFS and headlights aimed low. The flashing AFS light was more annoying than the low aimed headlights. LOL
Old 04-10-15, 12:16 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Does this include the bracket also? Some how my bracket got broken.
Old 04-10-15, 04:20 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

The Lexus driver's side rear part # (89408-50060) is not listed in the description of this part, however the picture sure looks like the correct / exact replacement part.
Old 04-10-15, 08:20 PM
jimdwright
Driver School Candidate

No, it's only the sensor.
Old 07-23-15, 02:42 AM
Fixman
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What i would do is withe a new sensor, working existing sensor, or a repairedsensor is use silicone on the O-ring sensor cover and put some grease on the connectorseal for added assurance and longer serves life.
For the connecting road i will use some grease and if the seal is broken usea balloon with some zip ties to keep the grease in and the contaminates out.
If the link is broken maybe you can get a link from the hobby shop that fitsthe ball with just an idea.
My touts.
Old 11-13-16, 08:35 PM
bmore430
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Fixman
What i would do is withe a new sensor, working existing sensor, or a repairedsensor is use silicone on the O-ring sensor cover and put some grease on the connectorseal for added assurance and longer serves life.
For the connecting road i will use some grease and if the seal is broken usea balloon with some zip ties to keep the grease in and the contaminates out.
If the link is broken maybe you can get a link from the hobby shop that fitsthe ball with just an idea.
My touts.
Subscribing to thread. ordered new lexus sensor with linkage assembly. will be installing after new shocks go in.
Old 11-14-16, 04:43 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by bmore430
Subscribing to thread. ordered new lexus sensor with linkage assembly. will be installing after new shocks go in.
I hope this is not another common issue.....adaptive headlights and rain sensing wipers, in addition to the autodim side mirrors, were my favorite features when I got the 2007 BMW 10 years ago (dang I'm that much older too), and the LS430 has all of the above which is sweet....
Old 11-14-16, 05:34 AM
bmore430
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I hope this is not another common issue.....adaptive headlights and rain sensing wipers, in addition to the autodim side mirrors, were my favorite features when I got the 2007 BMW 10 years ago (dang I'm that much older too), and the LS430 has all of the above which is sweet....
Yeah John it's a common issue. Looks like most lexus have this fail by 100k miles. It's all over the forums from the IS GS LS and even the PriUS.
Old 11-14-16, 05:37 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by bmore430
Yeah John it's a common issue. Looks like most lexus have this fail by 100k miles. It's all over the forums from the IS GS LS and even the PriUS.
doggone it! ok, maybe it will happen later since my car was a FLA car for 8 yrs....

Quick Reply: Lexus / Toyota AFS light headlight level sensor