Front strut replacement cost - Page 2 - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

Notices
LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Front strut replacement cost

Old 03-18-15, 08:19 PM
Bocatrip
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ancdmd View Post
Boca there are a few things that have caused annoying squeaks in my car's front suspension. First one is sway bar mounting bushings, they have a fabric-type liner embedded in them that rubs against the sway bar. When the liner deteriorates then it can squeak. They may look fine to the naked eye though. Greasing them makes it worse; replace them, they're cheap. Second source like you were advised is the eccentric mount for the forward control arm bushing or camber bushing. If it's not torqued to 166lb ft then it can squeak. Most alignment shops never torque this bolt tight enough. Another possibility is the inner tie rod, although if it is bad it will likely create a knocking sound also. All of these sources present noises at low speeds over bumpy surfaces.
Thanks for the feedback. I'll keep all of this in mind
Old 03-19-15, 09:18 AM
MyLparts
Sponsor

Originally Posted by Bocatrip View Post
Just an FYI for you LS430 owners. We sell the factory front struts for $114.83 each and the supports for $98.09 each with our CL discount. This is assuming you don't have air or sports suspension. We also offer free shipping on orders over $150.00. All genuine, all Lexus. Thanks everyone!
www.MyLparts.com
Free shipping over $150 on most orders using code "FREE"
Use "CL5" for an additional 10% off our low prices
Old 03-19-15, 11:20 AM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

Are you in Boca Raton? If so have you checked out Eric's Wrench in Delray? Very good independent Lexus/Toyota shop.
Old 03-19-15, 12:55 PM
Bocatrip
Lexus Champion

Are you in Boca Raton? If so have you checked out Eric's Wrench in Delray? Very good independent Lexus/Toyota shop.
Thanks, I'll check it out. Do they specialize in Lexus/Toyota? I'm waiting to hear my verdict from Lexus to see how to proceed.
Old 03-19-15, 03:06 PM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks, I'll check it out. Do they specialize in Lexus/Toyota? I'm waiting to hear my verdict from Lexus to see how to proceed.
Yes they specialize in Lexus/Toyota. Owner Eric is really nice, I've been driving up there from Miami Beach for several years.
Old 03-19-15, 04:20 PM
Bocatrip
Lexus Champion

Yes they specialize in Lexus/Toyota. Owner Eric is really nice, I've been driving up there from Miami Beach for several years.
Got off the phone with his wife Dara this afternoon. Eric is away till next week. I was hoping to have spoken with him and possibly gotten some feedback, but it will be fine. It's a good connection to have and thanks again for the info.
Old 03-20-15, 10:20 AM
Legender
Lexus Champion

FYI for those of you interested... spoke with Davenport Auto today here in Dallas and they do not allow you to bring your own parts.
Old 03-20-15, 10:00 PM
Wandl
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Legender View Post
FYI for those of you interested... spoke with Davenport Auto today here in Dallas and they do not allow you to bring your own parts.
Good to know. I'm in Dallas I know of a few mechanics/shops that work on lexus which allows BYO-Parts if anyone is interested
Old 03-21-15, 09:39 AM
Bocatrip
Lexus Champion

LATEST UPDATE: The shop foreman called from Lexus this morning and told me the noise has been isolated to the front passenger side strut. They had a stethoscope on the strut and it is the culprit. I'm doing both sides because I don't want an issue at a later date. Yes Lexus is super expensive ($850 for both sides) but at least I know the job will be right and I have recourse if the noise is still there. They are not changing the mounts or doing an alignment as they said it should not be affected. Normally I would have gone to an independent shop but I would hate finding out after they did not actually eliminate the annoying noise.

Last edited by Bocatrip; 03-21-15 at 10:29 AM.
Old 03-21-15, 01:47 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Champion

$850 for 2! That's about the same price an independent shop charges for all 4 even using OEM parts.
Old 03-21-15, 03:21 PM
Bocatrip
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo View Post
$850 for 2! That's about the same price an independent shop charges for all 4 even using OEM parts.
My independent shop quoted $1150 for 2 with the mounts with an alignment. 3hrs labor. Actually a little more than Lexus but again I'm going with Lexus in case the noise still persists.
Old 03-21-15, 04:44 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Champion

I paid less then a grand for 4 new struts and lowering springs plus alignment. I provided all the parts. This is the important factor. Pay for labor only. I even do this when I have Lexus of South Atlanta do work for me. Mounts don't need to be replaced unless they go bad and you don't hear about it. If anything, the engine mounts go way before the strut mounts. Either way, I'm glad you are getting it fixed.
Old 03-21-15, 05:55 PM
Bocatrip
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo View Post
I paid less then a grand for 4 new struts and lowering springs plus alignment. I provided all the parts. This is the important factor. Pay for labor only. I even do this when I have Lexus of South Atlanta do work for me. Mounts don't need to be replaced unless they go bad and you don't hear about it. If anything, the engine mounts go way before the strut mounts. Either way, I'm glad you are getting it fixed.
Thank you..."Getting it fixed". what does it matter how much is saved unless the problem is resolved??. Hopefully, I fixed my problem and if I did pay more than most, I'm still happy if I don't have to tolerate those horrendous creaking sounds and other miscellaneous noises that drove me to wanting to sell my car. End of Case.
Old 03-21-15, 07:15 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Champion

The reason I mention this is because most people replace the whole suspension. For the extra cost it is very much worth having 4 new shocks so the ride is balanced. You now have 2 new in the front and 14 year old shocks in the back.
Old 03-21-15, 08:31 PM
LiCelsior
Liberty VIP

some people have the "dont fix what isnt broken" mentality

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Front strut replacement cost

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: