LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Front strut replacement cost

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-15, 10:36 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
The reason I mention this is because most people replace the whole suspension. For the extra cost it is very much worth having 4 new shocks so the ride is balanced. You now have 2 new in the front and 14 year old shocks in the back.
Yes, that certainly makes sense, however, after 5 years of ownership, I truly don't know how much longer I will be keeping my car as I have already been looking to update to an 04-06 if the right car comes along.
Old 03-22-15, 07:59 AM
ceedub53
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
I paid less then a grand for 4 new struts and lowering springs plus alignment. I provided all the parts. This is the important factor. Pay for labor only. I even do this when I have Lexus of South Atlanta do work for me. Mounts don't need to be replaced unless they go bad and you don't hear about it. If anything, the engine mounts go way before the strut mounts. Either way, I'm glad you are getting it fixed.
A dealer provides labor for parts you bring them? WOW, that is very unusual. I understand the concept of saving money by buying the parts yourself and having a third party install them. My problem, where I live is that there are limited shops with experience to even do the work and they supply parts. I found one shop that would provide labor but they would not guarantee the job when finished. If the new part malfunctioned, it was on me. You are fortuneate to live in an area that provides access to shops who are willing to provide labor only, especially a dealer. That is unheard of here where I live.
Old 03-22-15, 02:38 PM
sade04
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Slightly off topic but I'm also in the same boat where 1 front strut on my 06 is leaking and my toyota dealership recommended that I should change both front struts. Quoted me close to a grand with alignment which I declined. I've found that the 01-03 struts are WAY cheaper than the 04-06 from lexus.

...So, is there any difference between the 2 model years? KyB lists the same part number from 01-06. Lexus lists 2 different part numbers with the 01-03 being much cheaper. Lexus parts guy refuses to acknowledge this and says the parts aren't interchangeable.

I've tired to search this but didn't come up with anything conclusive.

Any suggestions?

3/25 UPDATE:
I called the guys at MyLParts.com (I forget who I spoke to). He was really helpful.

First he explained that the OEM replacement strut which I can buy off of the KYB website is not the same KYB strut which originally came with the car. Not that the KYB replacement is an inferior product, its just not built to the same specs as Lexus originally designed. Again, not inferior, just different. With that, I was convinced that I should stick to buying factory Lexus struts.

Second, he said that the struts between all of the years were in fact interchangeable. I.e. the 01 part would fit on an 06 and vice versa. I asked about the significant price difference between the 2 gens. He said there was probably a design update and (01-03) strut would most likely provide a different ride than the (04-06) strut. I was really looking for a definitive answer on this one but didnt get one.

In the end, I didnt want to cheap out and get something not designed specifically for my car so I ended up with the (04-06) sport struts. Mine originally came with non-sport. Ended up paying $199 for each strut. With CL discount it was $360 OTD.

Hope this helps anyone stuck in the same boat.

-E

Last edited by sade04; 03-25-15 at 06:20 AM.
Old 03-25-15, 08:38 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

FINAL UPDATE: I picked up my car from Lexus after leaving it there for almost a week. I did get a brand new RX350 with 1800 miles as a loaner. Again, I brought the car in for a from end creak as well as numerous miscellaneous noises that drove me crazy. I was getting a ton of feedback from the forum with regards to lower control arms bushings and strut mounts. I could not begin to categorize the kind of different noises being made but they were coming from the same side as the diagnosed bad strut. I had both front struts replaced and ALL NOISES AND CREAKS are gone. The ride seems a little firmer and as a bonus they accepted a $100 coupon I received in the mail which brought down the grand total to $734 for both front struts. Even if I were able to save a few bucks from a local independent, I would not have gotten the loaner or be absolutely sure they would have found the problem. As mentioned, struts do not go very often on our cars and mine was not leaking or performing badly other than the noise. In addition, if the problem was not resolved to my satisfaction the car would stay until it was. I might not be able to say that about every independent shop . Anyway all's well that end's well and FYI our struts can go bad!
Old 03-25-15, 10:36 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

You did whwat was best for you and in the end...that's all that matters. And your ride is new and improved. Thank you for the update.
I too have used Davenport motors in the past for the convenience of the free loaner and not having to arrange pick up and drop off.
Good deal on the coupon use.... wish Sewell would do that...