LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

LS430 Dash pad warped? Worth fixing?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-15, 01:45 AM
Bugalski
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS430 Dash pad warped? Worth fixing?

Hey everybody!

Just bought a 2001 LS430 and it's pretty sweet thus far. It's done a fair few km (218,000km / 135,000miles) and been used as a family car so there's a wee bit of wear and tear - nothing too major. Only thing I'd really like to tackle is this:

Warped dash, and an angry sea.

The top pf the dash is coming away a bit, where it meets to top of the centre stack (or satnav module on them fancy-schmancy models). Not sure if it's warped from heat (don't know about this since the car is in New Zealand and it doesn't get especially hot) or maybe a trim clip or something has come loose.

Anyone come across this before? Is it tricky to fix? Just to make things interesting, assume untrained circus monkey levels of mechanical expertise on my part.

Any help appreciated, cheers
Old 02-23-15, 07:37 AM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'd take apart the clock/vents area and see if this could be fixed yourself. There's several threads detailing how to take out the dash stuff but basically you start at the bottom panel near the shifter and work your way up, use your finger tips to pull out the bottom panel then each panel above is retained by a few screws. You may then be able to re-secure the dash pad.
Old 02-23-15, 07:51 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Haven't seen that issue before. The center stack and trim pieces are relatively easy to remove on the LS430. Should not be to hard to get a look underneath and see what might be causing the problem above the center stack.
Old 02-23-15, 08:00 AM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Seen this before in some areas, where the dash faces extreme hot and extreme cold temperatures. I've never seen a fix for it though.

I also don't think taking it apart will do you any good. It seems that this rubbery dashboard material just took a new shape and it is very hard re-shape.

Try it out and let us know. GL.
Old 02-23-15, 08:16 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 171 Likes on 117 Posts

I almost wonder if someone accidentally did that with a tool when they were removing the center section to do some work back there?

The only DIY action I could think of is maybe getting a heat gun and seeing if you could shape it back down, but it's obviously risky that you could make it worse.

I'd probably find a good upholstery shop and see what they could do about it first.
Old 02-23-15, 08:56 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by BradTank
I almost wonder if someone accidentally did that with a tool when they were removing the center section to do some work back there?

The only DIY action I could think of is maybe getting a heat gun and seeing if you could shape it back down, but it's obviously risky that you could make it worse.

I'd probably find a good upholstery shop and see what they could do about it first.
I agree ... the dash is heat-molded at the factory. You could take it all apart, but if you do, you need a procedure to try and form it back to the correct shape. The only way it might be able to be re-shaped is to get it pliable with deep heat (not just on the surface) but without ruining the vinyl surface. Vinyl padded dashes are not easy for the DIYer. I'd get some expert opinions from trim shops before taking it all apart. If you were in a warmer climate, you could park it with the sun on the dash heating it up, but only you would know how many days of hot sun you get in New Zealand.
Old 02-23-15, 11:54 AM
zapola6
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine is doing the same thing, just not as bad... Might be because my steering wheel in on the correct side....
Attached Thumbnails LS430 Dash pad warped? Worth fixing?-img_0036.jpg  
Old 02-23-15, 01:11 PM
Bugalski
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ancdmd
I'd take apart the clock/vents area and see if this could be fixed yourself. There's several threads detailing how to take out the dash stuff but basically you start at the bottom panel near the shifter and work your way up, use your finger tips to pull out the bottom panel then each panel above is retained by a few screws. You may then be able to re-secure the dash pad.
Thanks for the advice guys, I'll have a poke around in there first, if it is just warped might see if it's worth getting an upholsterer to look at it.

Guessing it would be a big job to replace the whole top pad? There's one wrecking up north with the same trim as mine
Old 02-23-15, 01:26 PM
Bugalski
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by zapola6
Mine is doing the same thing, just not as bad... Might be because my steering wheel in on the correct side....
Yes, such is the curse of us right-hookers. Of course, it DOES mean we can import pretty much any post 2005 japanese car we want, so....
Old 02-27-15, 06:15 PM
empringham
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by zapola6
Technically, OP is on the right side