LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Squeaky sway bar bushings even after greasing

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-15, 01:17 PM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Squeaky sway bar bushings even after greasing

My '02 UL with 158k miles has squeaky sway bar bushings. The bushings were replaced not too long ago, and I grease them with Shin Etsu silicone grease and the squeaking disappears, but then comes back after a couple weeks. I do have the car slightly lowered with 20" wheels. Does anyone know of a permanent solution?
Old 01-18-15, 01:19 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

sprayable white lithium grease?
Old 01-18-15, 01:33 PM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
sprayable white lithium grease?
After an hour of googling, it is NOT recommended to use any petroleum-based grease as it will damage the rubber. White lithium grease included. Silicone/synthetic grease only. However, there are many recommendations to use just teflon tape, or no grease at all. Think I'll try the teflon tape, if that doesn't work then I'll try cleaning them and using no grease whatsoever.

Last edited by ancdmd; 01-18-15 at 02:49 PM.
Old 01-19-15, 07:14 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by ancdmd
After an hour of googling, it is NOT recommended to use any petroleum-based grease as it will damage the rubber. White lithium grease included. Silicone/synthetic grease only. However, there are many recommendations to use just teflon tape, or no grease at all. Think I'll try the teflon tape, if that doesn't work then I'll try cleaning them and using no grease whatsoever.
I replaced mine and did not use any grease / lube. (Others here in another stabilizer bushings thread say to use a lube, but I agree that is not recommended.) Also, be sure to clean the part of the bar that the bushing wraps around.
Old 01-19-15, 08:10 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

I agree. No need to lube. I did not lube mine. I save my lube for other purposes...
Old 01-19-15, 08:13 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

I don't think Shin Etsu is the right kind of grease to use in this application.

Find some "Sil-Glyde", it's made for brake components and silicone based, it also won't break down the rubber. That's what I use, just much more heavy duty. You can find it at NAPA and probably other parts stores, it's a thicker, tackier grease. Shin Etsu is almost a "moisturizer" as far as greases go.

Also, if it's a real problem, one trick you can do is wrap the sway bar section with teflon tape, then put the bushing around the sway bar again (with grease)

Not sure what bushing you used, but Poly bushing are notorious for squeaking, if you're using those it's likely going to be a never ending battle. I personally wouldn't use polyurethane.
Old 01-19-15, 11:27 AM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

The Shin Etsu is a silicone grease like Sil-Glyde, so it won't break down the rubber. I do have the rubber OEM bushings, not polyurethane.
Old 01-19-15, 01:01 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by ancdmd
The Shin Etsu is a silicone grease like Sil-Glyde, so it won't break down the rubber. I do have the rubber OEM bushings, not polyurethane.
I don't think the "breaking down" part is why Shin Etsu is a problem, I just think it's too thin of a grease. It was made to recondition dried weatherstripping, not to be used as a bushing grease. It might even me making it worse.

There's specific grease made for suspension bushings and it's a lot like Sil-Glyde.

Also at the part stores at the front counter you can buy those small packets of anti-squeal brake grease for like 99 cents. Those work well also and will not break down the rubber.

I would give that a try, but I'm almost wondering if your sway links are so loose that it's causing a lot of movement and squeaking in your sway bar bushings?

Last edited by BradTank; 01-19-15 at 01:04 PM.
Old 01-19-15, 02:45 PM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BradTank
I don't think the "breaking down" part is why Shin Etsu is a problem, I just think it's too thin of a grease. It was made to recondition dried weatherstripping, not to be used as a bushing grease. It might even me making it worse.

There's specific grease made for suspension bushings and it's a lot like Sil-Glyde.

Also at the part stores at the front counter you can buy those small packets of anti-squeal brake grease for like 99 cents. Those work well also and will not break down the rubber.

I would give that a try, but I'm almost wondering if your sway links are so loose that it's causing a lot of movement and squeaking in your sway bar bushings?
The Shin-Etsu is pretty thick, thicker than peanut butter. First I'll try with no grease at all, then if it still squeaks I'll do the teflon tape method, and I'll get some Sil-Glyde and check it out also since I have heard good things about it. The links and mount bushings are fairly new so I don't expect them to be squeaking from old age.
Old 01-31-15, 09:55 AM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

I thoroughly cleaned all the Shin Etsu and 3M silicone grease off all four sway bar bushings yesterday and haven't had a squeak since. The front bushings do have a liner inside where the bushing grips the bar, and since they don't come from the factory with grease I'm assuming they're not meant to be greased.