Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Impression of the Polyurethane sway bar bushings

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-02, 03:42 PM
Kajukenbo
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Impression of the Polyurethane sway bar bushings

I just installed the Polyurethane sway bar bushings for the stock GS sway bars offered by TM Enginnering....(aka. doublewhoosh). I think this is a good mod (intrim step before upgrading to the full sway bar setup).

The ride comfort maintained, but definitely reduced the body roll unless doing a high speed cornering. For $29.00 a set.....this is a good deal.

The polyurethane bushings are definitely much harder and stronger than the stock bushing. I can squeeze the stock bushing with one hand and make it deform. I cannot even deform the polyurethane bushing with both hands unless I use a tool. It is an easy mod if you can get under your car. I had some shop do it for me and it only took them 30 mintues. The hardest part is to slide the bushings onto the sway bars. You have to open up the bushings (a flat head screw drivers would help) in order to slide it onto the bars.
Old 10-28-02, 07:06 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Thanks for being the test car and writeup Kajukenbo! Couple of questions for folks that might consider this...

What are your driving impressions beyond reduced body roll during high speed cornering... any noticable change in everyday stiffness?

How much did the shop charge you for the install?

Is this something you think that would be an easy DIY for someone?
Old 10-28-02, 09:25 PM
Kajukenbo
Lead Lap

I will try my best to answer DaveGS4's questions.....

1. Stiffness - I can not really feel the difference (my butt-o-meter) than what I had before (L-tuned suspension). I definitly didn't detect the harshness in ride as experienced by the aftermarket sway bar users. I do feel more control of the car when doing a rapid lane change in high speed.

2. The local shop here charged me $40.00 to do the install. It is a little easier than doing the entire sway bar swap since the rear sway bar doesn't need to be removed.

3. By looking at the installation process, it seems that it should be an easy mod for people who can get access to the bottom chassis of their cars.

Front bushings : remove the plastic underbody covers (there should be three pieces that you have to remove). Remove the stock sway bars from the car and change out the bushings. The front sway bars may not need to be removed, but it is definitly easier to change out the bushings when the sway bars are out of the car.

Rear bushings: Sway bars doesn't need to be removed. Just remove the bracket that holds the bushing on each side. Remove the stock bushings and install the new bushings.

Last edited by Kajukenbo; 10-28-02 at 09:30 PM.
Old 10-29-02, 02:36 AM
LVgs400
Pole Position

Just wondering if you had any creaking noises before the mount swap. I believe I have a creaking noise that is coming from the swaybar bushings, and was wondering if this is a good fix for it. Where do we get these bushings from? Thanks.
Old 10-29-02, 01:08 PM
cgatch
Rookie

Thumbs up

Thanks for the information Kajukenbo. Just received the bushings I ordered from Todd and I'm planning to install them this weekend.
Old 10-29-02, 01:35 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a set of TRD sways on the way -- do these polyurethane bushings fit and does it make sense to use them together? Since the sways have not arrived, I don't know if they come with upgraded bushings...
Old 10-29-02, 01:52 PM
cgatch
Rookie

Redgs4 - here are the discussions regarding your question: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=61464
Old 10-29-02, 02:14 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by cgatch
Redgs4 - here are the discussions regarding your question: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=61464
cgatch,

Thanks for your pleasant reply. I do know how to use the search, I just apparently forgot.
Old 10-29-02, 02:37 PM
cgatch
Rookie

Wink

redgs4 - you're welcome. Most of the times I do prefer asking first rather than doing the search.
Old 10-29-02, 02:50 PM
Kajukenbo
Lead Lap

LVgs400,

if you know for sure the creaking noise is coming from the sway bar bushings, just replace the stock old bushings with these new bushings. Just make sure you put plenty of grease in them. (grease comes with the package)

For people who are doing this bushing upgrade; you need to make sure that you put ample amount of grease that comes with your package in your new bushings.