LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Replacing the Engine Temperature Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-15, 12:40 AM
PersianOne
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Replaced mine when doing my valve cover gaskets and I can feel a noticeable difference. Shifts smoother and it feels good. I think my MPG improved as well. Definitely a plus to change this out, especially considering how cheap and easy it is.
Old 11-22-15, 07:51 PM
kimsey
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by abbyNormal
Lavrishevo,
Did you do this swap when the engine was stone cold? Did you lose/spill any coolant when you removed the sensor?

AN

Just did mine last week and a cup or so spilled out. I bought one from ebay (I know) and the adapters don't seem to fit together. Waiting on the new one from Rock Auto and hoping it all fits together.
Old 11-22-15, 08:48 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts

Yes, did mine with engine cold and very little if anything spilled out. Definitely worth doing.
Old 01-16-16, 06:34 PM
lsdude
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

According to Chilton Library, the sensor's torque spec is 15.
Old 01-16-16, 07:00 PM
lexman52
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Where is the engine temperature sensor on the motor located I see the pictures but not where it goes
Old 02-27-16, 07:42 PM
lsdude
Pole Position

I replaced my temp sensor today, but I broke the plastic clip on the harness connector. Does anyone know the part number to replace it?
Old 03-04-16, 07:54 PM
squeekyM
Driver School Candidate

Very good info. I just ordered a new temp sensor today. Reading above there is no need for teflon tape, sealant, etc. However is there a gasket?
Old 03-04-16, 08:11 PM
lsdude
Pole Position

The gasket part number is 9043012005.
Old 03-05-16, 12:22 PM
mrboca
Rookie

I have a permanent OBD2 scanner connected with bluetooth. My normal operating coolant temperature is 85 degrees C / 185 degrees F. The car is at 114K miles and I recently measured 29.2 mpg at constant 55 miles per hour, flat terrain over a distance of 20 miles. I can monitor the rise of the temperature, and the opening of the thermostat.
So I will not replace my ECT for now , as it appears to be operational as it should. I do not want to mess with crumbling connectors, as I had experienced with the camshaft connector while replacing the valve cover gasket.

My suggestion would be:
1) read the coolant temperature through the OBD2 to check if it is within range.

2)If you do not have an OBD2 scanner, read the resistance of the ECT sensor on vehicle. Remove the connector and read the resistance between the pins with an ohmmeter when the engine is cold. It should read about 5Kohms to 2Kohms depending on the coolant temperature (32 degrees F to 68 degrees F). Plug the connector back. Bring the car to full operating temperature, then remove the connector and read the resistance. It should be around 200 ohms at the operating temperature of 185 degrees F.

If you have to replace the ECT sensor, make sure you do not introduce any air in the cooling system (purge the the air). Else you may end up with inaccurate coolant temperature readings at the OBD2 and possible engine overheating.
Old 06-04-18, 07:23 AM
malrafe3i
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default thanks to the owner of the post

thanks for all the support that is available on the discussion thread , its true and I have solved the issue of P0171 system too lean bank
I ride a 2004 with 136k miles and I had the issue long ago I replaced the MAF sensor, followed by cleaning the O2 sensors, different mechanic giving me different options to try which even reached to changing the petrol tank cap.

it got finally solved once I changed the temperature sensor which was the last thing I could think off.
Old 06-04-18, 07:30 AM
malrafe3i
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
I have wanted to do this for some time now. Mine has not failed nor do I have any codes but from what I learned from the LS400 and the forums is they don't tend to fail like this. They basically start sending incorrect signals to the ECU. Misreading the correct engine temperature, which affects mileage and performance. Couple pics of the sensor. Trying to figure out who makes it. It's not Denso. The mark looks like Tie or Tiej. I don't know.

Do I need to coat the threads with any kind of additional sealant? Any other suggestions?
​​​​​​thanks for the post owner, i did everything and all thanks comes to this little sensor with ur guidance my dashboard is at last clean
The following users liked this post:
BNastee (08-22-19)
Old 06-04-18, 08:58 AM
2KHarrier

Received 242 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by malrafe3i
​​​​​​thanks for the post owner, i did everything and all thanks comes to this little sensor with ur guidance my dashboard is at last clean
Glad to hear even the older threads are very much relevant today..

This reminds me... I need to order a sensor before I do my Timing Belt next week...
Old 04-20-19, 04:00 PM
westopill
Intermediate

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

I just replaced my temp sensor today with one from Oreilly's. (Their import direct brand that has a lifetime warranty) I'll update if my fuel mileage increases. Right now I get about 21 combined with 75% HWY and 25% CITY.
Old 04-20-19, 04:35 PM
ls430w140
Advanced

Received 163 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by westopill
I just replaced my temp sensor today with one from Oreilly's. (Their import direct brand that has a lifetime warranty) I'll update if my fuel mileage increases. Right now I get about 21 combined with 75% HWY and 25% CITY.
Don’t forget to check for coolant leaks a week later in case if you haven’t used silicon or Teflon based sealant for the threads. also, why not the OEM sensor? It is an extremely important part in 3uz-fe engine, so I would never recommend to put anything in it except for oem genuine part.
Old 04-20-19, 05:09 PM
westopill
Intermediate

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by ls430w140
Don’t forget to check for coolant leaks a week later in case if you haven’t used silicon or Teflon based sealant for the threads. also, why not the OEM sensor? It is an extremely important part in 3uz-fe engine, so I would never recommend to put anything in it except for oem genuine part.
I'm giving this part a shot since it has a lifetime warranty and its a lot cheaper. I figure if it doesn't work out, I can just get my money back and go OEM. I was going to go Beck/Arnley actually but no one had it in stock locally and I was too eager to get at it.

Quick Reply: Replacing the Engine Temperature Sensor