Horn upgrade question.. electrical gurus needed

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-14, 10:33 AM
SaleenS7
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Horn upgrade question.. electrical gurus needed

Hey all,

I've decided to upgrade the stock LS430 horns after a few too many close calls the past month or so. I needed something that would grab people's attention so I bought the four note ACDF horns from the big body style cadillacs. I've tested these horns individually straight from the battery and they are loud.

I hooked them up to the stock horn wires (four positives to one side and four negative wires to the other side) and my fuse blew. I put in a 30amp fuse and tried with only what seemed like one horn working... Come to realize putting a larger amp may not have been a good idea so I put the 10amp fuse back in and took all four horns out. I'm thinking the problem is that the stock horns only have one positive wire hooked onto one horn and one negative wire hooked onto the other horn. I usually see a positive and negative wire PER horn..

I thought I did a pretty good job of wiring everything correctly. I searched online and saw that a relay is needed. I've looked at all sorts of diagrams but I'm still not sure how to do this.

So in a nutshell, my dilemma is that I have four positive wires and four negative wires from the caddy horns and hooking them up to the LS430 causes the fuse to blow. Any guidance,info, tips, diagrams, etc.. appreciated. I'm going to go back out there and tackle the problem without any electrical fires, hopefully.
Old 10-04-14, 10:48 AM
daniel1235
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

More than likely, the new horns have too much amperage draw (probably because your using four) as opposed to your stock horns. First, i know you tested each horn individually to the battery but to rule each problem out, assuming you are wiring all 4 positive wires into one wire and same for the ground wire, test it on the battery this way, similar to your install. This will probably function properly, if not your wiring may be wrong. Without pics from you its hard to know exactly how your doing it.
Assuming it works this way and ruling out your wiring isnt the problem, its time to grab a relay. Google how relays work and you will understand why you are doing this. Basically when the horn signal comes through, it triggers the relay which sends power straight from the battery through another wire.
Similar to Putting hid in non oem equipped hid cars, the ballast require more amperage draw to ignite which sometimes isnt enough from the stock oem wires, therefore a relay grabs and send power straight from the battery when it gets the headlight on signal. Too much amperage draw without a relay can potentially fry your wires, thst is why there is fuses as protection. Hope this helps.
Old 10-04-14, 11:17 AM
SaleenS7
Driver

Thanks for the super quick reply. If there's anyone that knows about electrical it's got to be: daniel 'the man with the plan' 1235. lol

I'll try to snap some pics in a bit but I did try your technique of wiring all the horns together and testing it on the battery. Considering I jumped back about a few feet I'd say it worked. They are so damn loud together.

I'm about to go out and buy a relay to tackle the problem. I'll keep the thread updated and will try to post some pics when I get back.
Old 10-04-14, 12:39 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

yea sounds like u may need 4 relays to be safe.
Old 10-04-14, 03:32 PM
daniel1235
Driver

You should get those classic musical horns that make those funny tunes. That would be funny.
Li celsior has a poiint, perhaps 4 isnt needed but depending on the horn amp draw, you may want to use more then one. Good luck.
Old 10-04-14, 03:46 PM
SaleenS7
Driver

Haha, if I ever decide to turn my LS into a lowrider I'll consider those tunes.

I tried wiring it up to the stock set up but it just wasn't working out. I find it extremely odd that the LS430 horns don't have a negative and positive wire to EACH horn. Instead one horn has a negative wire going to it and the other horn only has a positive wire going to it. Every horn I've ever seen in the past has had both a negative and positive going to each horn.

Anyway I decided to keep the factory horns and wire up these horns to an aftermarket switch. I think it'll be a lot easier to start from scratch and follow an online diagram. I'll keep the thread updated on my progress. Out to buy a switch now.

Here's a pic of the horns mounted and ready to be wired up. Don't mind the bugs and smudges on the bumper, it'll be washed off asap lol.
Attached Thumbnails Horn upgrade question.. electrical gurus needed-10599598_1480843225518942_8687095878982528516_n.jpg  
Old 10-04-14, 05:18 PM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 675 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by SaleenS7
I hooked them up to the stock horn wires (four positives to one side and four negative wires to the other side) and my fuse blew.
The LS430 has 2 horns, one for high pitch and the other for low pitch. Each horn receives a "positive" wire which goes hot when the horn button is pushed. The "negative" for each horn is via its metal tab bolted to the car's body.
Old 10-04-14, 06:20 PM
SaleenS7
Driver

Originally Posted by rkw77080
The LS430 has 2 horns, one for high pitch and the other for low pitch. Each horn receives a "positive" wire which goes hot when the horn button is pushed. The "negative" for each horn is via its metal tab bolted to the car's body.
Thanks for clarifying that! When I saw a black wire going to one of the horns I thought it had to be negative. It all makes sense now. I think I'm going to keep the stock horns and add these as extra but that is good to know regardless.

I may go searching the junkyard for more old school cadillac horns to upgrade my Scion's wimpy horns after I finish this project tomorrow. I highly recommend the acdf note horns to anyone out there that wants a loud 'train horn' sound for very cheap.
Old 10-04-14, 06:33 PM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 675 Likes on 462 Posts

Here is a quick sketch on how you would add a relay to drive all your new horn off of your existing horn button. You can splice either existing horn wires (Black or Green-White) for the coil, which will close the 30A contact to supply power to the new horns. Hope the sketch help...

Old 10-04-14, 07:15 PM
SaleenS7
Driver

I never thought about having all six horns at once. Brilliant.. Thanks for taking the time to draw this diagram for me rkw man. This will make my life so much easier. I owe you one.

The only thing I need now is an inline fuse holder and I'm good to go.

I'll report back with results tomorrow. I may even upload a video of the results.
Old 10-04-14, 08:56 PM
daniel1235
Driver

6 horns, crazy.
Rkw def knows his stuff. I don't know nothing compared to him/her. It's so helpful to hav someone take the time to make diagrams just to help others.
Saleen, get it done. Done leave unfinished business.
Old 10-04-14, 09:29 PM
SaleenS7
Driver

Originally Posted by daniel1235
6 horns, crazy.
Rkw def knows his stuff. I don't know nothing compared to him/her. It's so helpful to hav someone take the time to make diagrams just to help others.
Saleen, get it done. Done leave unfinished business.
6 horns should get people's attention eh? We have a good little LS430 community here. I know nothing compared to both of you lol. Now it's just a waiting game for the sun to come back out. I'll be sure to finish it correctly.
Old 10-05-14, 08:06 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

I really think this video is the way to go.

Old 10-05-14, 02:19 PM
SaleenS7
Driver

lol I don't think I would have the proper relay for that kind of horn. That's awesome though.

I finished wiring up the horns. Very straight forward with rkw's diagram. It's so loud it actually echos a few times lol. Six horns... bad news for whoever's on the receiving end. The good thing is that it's still very quiet on the inside of the car even when holding the horn. However one small thing to note is that my relay displays the ground wire as 85 and 86 for the switch as opposed to the diagram. I guess I have a different brand relay or something.

I took a video from my cell but it was all distorted and crappy.. So here's a better video to give you some idea why it's nicknamed the cadillac 'train horn'. (Turn your volume up) For reference: I got my horn from an 80's fleetwood.

Old 02-23-15, 06:32 AM
06ls430KTC
Intermediate

Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

SaleenS7 - did you have to drill holes in the metal around the other horns or were there existing holes you were able to use? I'm thinking about adding the C and D note. My '88 cadillac has all four and I love it! Thanks

Quick Reply: Horn upgrade question.. electrical gurus needed