LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Ceramic tint too reflective

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-14, 07:43 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts
Default Ceramic tint too reflective

I had 3M Ceramic 40 installed on my car last week. The job came out beautifully. I did not want the dark look and picked the 40 ceramic because of its clarity, especially for night driving. Night driving happens to be great. My problem is that in the direct sunlight in certain positions of the car, I get terrible reflections from the interior, especially onto my driver's side mirror. There are times, all I see on my driver's mirror is the left a/c dash vent and wood trim. It is very distracting. I never had tint before, and assume that all tints have more reflective characteristics than untinted glass, but 3M ceramic seems to have a higher percentage of visible reflection on interiors. The 3M site shows the 40 ceramic having 12% visible reflection for the interior while the 3M color stable having 6%. I will try to give it a week or so to see if I can get used to it. If not, I will go back and get the 3M 35 color stable. What do you guys think? For those that have ceramic tint, do you have any issues with inside reflecting enough to distract you or have you gotten used to it?Again, this is the first time I have ever tinted any car. Thanks for any feedback.
Old 06-05-14, 09:43 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Do you own a pair of good polarized sunglasses? These will solve all glare issues caused by sunlight.
Old 06-06-14, 08:40 AM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

^^^^ yup

but lets see some pics... thats why i clicked lol.
Old 06-06-14, 09:15 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
Do you own a pair of good polarized sunglasses? These will solve all glare issues caused by sunlight.
Thanks. I'll certainly give it a try. The sunglasses I have aren't. Easier putting on the polarized sunglasses than redoing the tint! I did read that polarized sunglasses can give car tint a rainbow effect. I'll post back after I give it a shot.

Last edited by Bocatrip; 06-06-14 at 09:18 AM.
Old 06-06-14, 10:58 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
Thanks. I'll certainly give it a try. The sunglasses I have aren't. Easier putting on the polarized sunglasses than redoing the tint! I did read that polarized sunglasses can give car tint a rainbow effect. I'll post back after I give it a shot.
Yeah. Tint or no tint a good pair of Ray-ban's or similar is the bees knees.

(When bees flit from flower to flower the nectar sticks to their legs. The phrase "bee's knees" means sweet and good, because the knees of the bee are where all the sweet, good stuff is collected.)
Old 06-06-14, 12:50 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Tried a pair of Polarized. No change. There are times when the sun hits at a certain angle and all I see in the driver side view mirror is a very distinctive a/c vent and wood dash. It actually looks identical to the dash and I can't see through it. I'm not sure this is anything I will get used to. (not to mention it is not safe). I many need to swap the front and back side tint for 3M stable 35 and keep the rear tint so not to disturb the defroster. Bummer!
Old 06-06-14, 01:08 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

The only glare I get is from the windshield and it is easily cured with polarized sunglasses. I never get glare or reflection in my mirrors. Maybe the 3M has different characteristics vs my Suntek tint.

Edit. I just looked at the specs for my Suntek carbon: 5% visible light reflectance vs 12% on yours. That's probably the big difference.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 06-06-14 at 01:13 PM.
Old 06-06-14, 01:43 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

The only glare I get is from the windshield and it is easily cured with polarized sunglasses. I never get glare or reflection in my mirrors. Maybe the 3M has different characteristics vs my Suntek tint.

Edit. I just looked at the specs for my Suntek carbon: 5% visible light reflectance vs 12% on yours. That's probably the big difference.
Your Suntek carbon is equivalent to 3M color stable which has 6% light reflectance on the interior. Carbon tints are non reflective.. Ceramics for the most part have higher light reflectance which is great for night driving and reflecting the heat. Even Huper Nano ceramic has 12%. To me this higher reflectance is more than an annoyance. The effect on my side view mirror in sunlight is equivalent to looking into a mirror and seeing the interior of my car and it looks absolutely crystal clear! Sucks.
Old 06-06-14, 03:46 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

I was looking at the wrong line of tint. I actually have the InfinityOP line not Carbon XP. Had to go find my receipt. It's 11% Similar to yours. I still don't get any reflections from my mirrors though. Try adjusting your mirrors and seat height a little. Maybe you can change the viewing angle and not experience this.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 06-06-14 at 03:53 PM.
Old 06-06-14, 03:57 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

I was looking at the wrong line of tint. I actually have the InfinityOP line not Carbon XP. Had to go find my receipt. It's 11% Similar to yours. I still don't get any reflections from my mirrors though.
You have metal film. Interesting. Regardless, I'm probably going to have my tint removed and swapped for 3M color stable. My installer knows me for over 10 years. He has done about 5 clear bras for me. I'm hoping to get a break (cost wise) with the removal and replacement of the tint for the 3M color stable.
Old 06-06-14, 07:59 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

I wear prescription tri-focal glasses. Having to change glasses evey time you get in and out of the car is totally unaceptable for me. I have no tint and with the UL I would not even consider it. Just me and my viewpoint from one who has to wear prescription glasses.
Old 06-06-14, 08:03 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

I was thinking that it might be feasible to change out just the front driver and passenger window tint with a non reflective carbon type 40%. I'm sure it should eliminate the driver's side mirror reflection, but I don't know how it would look on the outside.