LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

2005 Ls430 Tilt motor replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-13, 01:54 PM
jasperaxle
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Ls430 Tilt motor replacement

Hello, I was quoted $750 from my Lexus dealer to replace the tilt motor on my 05 LS430. I have found OEM motors for just under $300 online. My question is after you take out the two allen bolts holding the motor in and disconnecting the power plug how do you remove the motor? I know there are to "C clips" involved and need further instruction on removal and installation from this point. I dont want to screw anything up and would appreciate feedback from someone who has done this before. Thanks!
Old 01-25-13, 02:13 PM
dtaylor
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the same problem on my 03LS430UL. What did you get for 300? I have tilt and telescoping functions not working. Where did you get them online? New? Used?

Please post pics so I can follow your processes.

Thank you.
Old 01-25-13, 04:31 PM
Lynzoid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

One motor costs 300usd (around that). Motor with screw shaft. One for up/down, another one for in/out...
Old 01-25-13, 09:09 PM
jasperaxle
Driver School Candidate

I have found the new oem tilt motor on parts.com with shipping for around $280. The telescopic motor runs about $30 more. I only need to replace the tilt motor which is the easier of the two to change. If I do get an answer to my original question I will be more than happy to post play by play pics of the job. I am stuck on how to proceed after the two allen bolts are out. I'm sure its not difficult just want to do it right.
Old 01-26-13, 06:08 AM
dosik2
9th Gear

Before removing the two bolts, I recommend you to remove the small C-clip first.
After removing the C-clip and removing the two bolts and the power connector, just try to move the steering wheel up and down. Then, the motor should flip down spontaneously by gravity and you will be able to remove the motor.
Old 01-26-13, 07:41 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

The attached instructions might help. They are for a 2004 LS430 but are likely the same for the 05 and 06 and maybe the earlier ones too.
Old 01-27-13, 02:21 PM
jasperaxle
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Dosik and Kansas for your input. I really appreciate it. It appears from the .pdf that Kansas left there is a 4mm stopper and spring which i believe is on top of the tilt motor shaft which also must be removed before pulling out the motor. I am going to give it a go and as i said will post play by play pics of the job as there is so little info on the internet about this.
Old 01-27-13, 09:04 PM
krazykrnbo
Pit Crew

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

you might want to just take the cover off and check the motor itself. mine was stuck at a fixed position. i just sprayed a little lube at the motor where it tilts and assisted it a little and it fixed itself. just my two cents.
Old 01-30-13, 11:26 AM
dtaylor
Pole Position

updates? Pics? Procedure steps?

I have no tilt or telescoping. Like to have both back.....are we spoiled or what?
Old 01-31-13, 04:50 AM
bonnsha
Driver School Candidate

What is the part numbers for these parts? I have a 2002LS430 and mine is starting to go on the fritz. I miss the steering wheel going up and down......and yes, we are spoiled!!!
Old 01-31-13, 10:57 AM
dtaylor
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bonnsha
What is the part numbers for these parts? I have a 2002LS430 and mine is starting to go on the fritz. I miss the steering wheel going up and down......and yes, we are spoiled!!!
We bought these things for a reason, right? YES we are spoiled! I wouldn't have it any other way.
Old 02-15-13, 06:16 PM
jasperaxle
Driver School Candidate

I just finally got around to ordering the tilt motor through Sewell Lexus. With the Club Lexus Discount including shipping came to $281. As I said, I will post pics of the job but it may be a few weeks before I get to it. FYI I had the dealer diagnose the tilt problem while it was in for spark plug replacements and they said there was a short in the tilt motor so that was good enough for me and so I ordered the motor.

Last edited by jasperaxle; 02-16-13 at 07:21 AM.
Old 02-19-13, 02:58 PM
jasperaxle
Driver School Candidate

Post Tilt Motor Replacement

I am providing these instructions with no guarantees. Do this job at your own risk. I assume no responibility for your situation. Do not try this unless you have a decent amount of mechanical ability. So with that said the tilt motor came today so here is the way I changed it. The first thing I did was extend the telescopic wheel all the way out just to make it easier to do the job. Next I disconnected the negative battery terminal. (Dont want the air bag exploding in your face). Next remove the two black screws on the steering column. (You have to move the wheel to the left and right to expose and remove them). Next is the final black screw for column housing on bottom of housing. Remove top and bottom of housing being careful not to damage the tilt/telescopic switch. Remove the orange power connector from motor. Now using a 4mm hexagon wrench remove the tilt steering stopper bolt. This is the bolt on the bottom side of the motor in the middle of the shaft. After you remove the stopper bolt then take a magnetic pickup tool and remove the tilt steering comperssion spring . The next step is to use small needle nose pliers to remove the small "e" clip from the tilt motor screw shaft farthest from the motor, Then using a 6mm hexagon wrench remove the two tilt steering stopper support bolts on each side of the motor. When you remove the second screw you will be able to move your steering wheel up and down freely. Holding the steering wheel up use a small 90 degree pick to remove the large upper "e" clip on the front side of motor. (You may have to rotate the motor one turn clockwise to remove the clip) Then while still holding the steering wheel up, lower the tilt motor and just screw it out counterclockwise. Remove the orange bushings on each side of old motor and install in the new motor. (see P.S. below!) Installation is the reverse of removal. Im not positive if this is the way Lexus does it but it worked for me. 1.5 hours of my time was well worth the $280 I paid vs the $750 the dealer quoted. I have pics of the entire job but the file size is too big. As soon as I figure that out I will post them.

P.S I did screw up one part of the job, After I had everything back together there was a slight play in the wheel up and down. I forgot to remove the orange bushings from each side of the old motor. The new motor does not come with these orange bushings or the "e" clips either so DONT lose them you need to reuse them! Good Luck

Last edited by jasperaxle; 02-19-13 at 03:02 PM.
Old 02-20-13, 04:00 PM
Lynzoid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I applaud you sir! Please, please upload pic somewhere!
THANKS!
Old 02-20-13, 05:02 PM
jasperaxle
Driver School Candidate

Default Pics of job #1

Here goes, hope I do this right. Click page 2 for the rest of pics
Attached Thumbnails 2005 Ls430 Tilt motor replacement-photo.jpg   2005 Ls430 Tilt motor replacement-photo1.jpg   2005 Ls430 Tilt motor replacement-photo2.jpg   2005 Ls430 Tilt motor replacement-photo3.jpg   2005 Ls430 Tilt motor replacement-photo4.jpg  

Last edited by jasperaxle; 02-20-13 at 07:29 PM.

Quick Reply: 2005 Ls430 Tilt motor replacement