LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Why no map on Nav Screen?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-12, 01:38 PM
Bobjann
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Why no map on Nav Screen?

Just replaced a navigation ECU on my 2002 LS430. Bought it on eBay (86841-33060). It came with a Memorex disk inside labeled "Lexus Nav 7.01". I removed it and replaced it with a 10.1 OEM disk that I bought from Lexus. After installing the ECU and OEM disk, the nav screen displays a white background with a curser centered in the screen. The pointer on the cursar turns as the direction of my vehicle changes. However, no map is displayed. Does anyone know what this behavior means? Can anyone suggest a fix?
Old 11-11-12, 02:44 PM
masterff
Rookie

probably doesn't recognise the disc

did you replace the ECU because the old one failed? or did you install one from a later year into yours?
Old 11-11-12, 03:07 PM
Bobjann
Driver School Candidate

Default Why no map on Nav Screen?

The original one failed. I believe it is gen 2/3 as was the original.

Last edited by Bobjann; 11-11-12 at 03:11 PM.
Old 11-11-12, 03:10 PM
masterff
Rookie

does the 7.01 disc works fine on the new ECU? have you connected the GPS wire to the navs ECU? if you have, this problem is definatly disc related
Old 11-11-12, 03:16 PM
Bobjann
Driver School Candidate

When I put the 7.01 disk in, I got error messages on the screen (e.g.,'cannot read disk).
Old 11-11-12, 03:20 PM
masterff
Rookie

have you tried your original disc from your old ECU? or is it stuck in the drive?

that 7.01 disc in the new ECU is a failed copy, on a memorex disc it's a give a way and nav discs should only really be burnt on verbatim media or of that quality at a low burn speed of 1 - 2x

shame I don't live in the states otherwise I could of sent you one I made the other week to try, it doesn't work on my 2001 as mines a Gen00 ( old! ) lol but the newer 2002 + were gen01,02,03 etc
Old 11-11-12, 03:36 PM
Bobjann
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by masterff
have you tried your original disc from your old ECU? or is it stuck in the drive?

that 7.01 disc in the new ECU is a failed copy, on a memorex disc it's a give a way and nav discs should only really be burnt on verbatim media or of that quality at a low burn speed of 1 - 2x

shame I don't live in the states otherwise I could of sent you one I made the other week to try, it doesn't work on my 2001 as mines a Gen00 ( old! ) lol but the newer 2002 + were gen01,02,03 etc
The 10.1 I am using is from my old unit.
Old 11-11-12, 03:57 PM
masterff
Rookie

the new ECU faulty? or disc read issues?

seems strange it won't play the disc that was in the unit and your disc, again if anything you would think it would the disc 7.01 fine.

visit this link : http://postimage.org/image/mobvk53up/

http://postimage.org/image/80sg87257/

shows what the no map screen options are.

the second link is to show how to test for a open circuit, you shouldn't have to do this.

Last edited by masterff; 11-11-12 at 04:18 PM.
Old 11-11-12, 06:03 PM
Bobjann
Driver School Candidate

Default Problem solved

I just took a trip of several miles. Halfway through it, the map suddenly sppeared. All seems well. Not sure how to expalin why it took so long to appear. I will check the connections tomorrow to be sure they are all secure. Thanks for your help!
Old 11-12-12, 06:57 AM
Lynzoid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

You got unit with faulty DVD reader Ebay is ridden with these...
Only thing that can help is to reburn working disc using premium media and burner. Although it's not as easy as just making copy, as Nav discs are copy protected....
Old 11-12-12, 09:32 AM
Bobjann
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up

Thanks, Lynzoid. I feared the new ebay ECU was faulty and thought that the 7.01 copied disk was unreadable. But, good news, with the OEM 10.1 disk inserted, the nav system finally started working and has done so all day today.
Old 11-12-12, 10:51 AM
Bonsai
Driver School Candidate

Hey guys, I've actually been doing some googling around about this myself and ran across your thread.

Bob, would you mind telling me who you bought the replacement unit from and/or how much you paid? My Nav has been failing to read a disc on and off for about a year and has finally taken to consistently not showing any navigation whatsoever. The disc has been upgraded with an OEM disc, but it's been about 6 years. It's a 2002 LS 430, so obviously the unit itself is about 10 years old.

I foolishly just dropped about 2k letting the dealer replace my Y-Pipe (Maryland was on the brink of suspending my registration because their emissions program is stupid). I should have gone aftermarket exhaust shop, but I was in a rush. Anyways, now that I am confident that I won't be buying a new car for quite some time, I'm of the mind that perhaps I should replace and/or upgrade my unit.

Is it possible to get a later model unit and plug it into the 2002 unit? I know for example that my Dad's 2010 LS 460 has an upgraded nav with different pictures/colors etc. I feel like I should get some sort of upgrade if I'm going to drop a bunch of cash on this to get it working again properly. The local lexus deal offered to rob me blind and fix it for about 2500 dollars. I said pass and decided to do some independent research. Let me know if you guys have any ideas/information.

Thanks ahead of time!

Ben
Old 11-12-12, 12:04 PM
Bobjann
Driver School Candidate

I dont know if you can replace an older generation ECU with a newer one. I stuck with the orignial (2/3 in my case) just to keep it simple. I tihink I paid around $650 on ebay for the ECU. I'll be glad to send you the name of the seller if you send me a private message about it. Good luck.
Old 11-12-12, 12:28 PM
masterff
Rookie

the connections changed on 2004 onwards on the nav ECU If I recall, you maybe able to get a gen02 or gen03 ecu to work.

In Europe the older gen01 is upgradeable upto 2011 nav software, Im not sure wether the US nav software is still upgradeable after such time, does anyone else know?
Old 11-12-12, 12:41 PM
masterff
Rookie

just looked on my disc it shows that there is 4 connections for the ECU nav on models 2004 onwards, I know obviously the camera ecu connects to the nav on 2004 models.

bobjann how many inputs are on your nav ecu?

Quick Reply: Why no map on Nav Screen?