LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Using the whole trunk for a sound system?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-12, 10:45 AM
93SC300.
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Using the whole trunk for a sound system?

So my car has been under the knife now for about 2 months. The guy has so much excuses on why its not complete.

The first one is when i went home for midtour leave, my car was suppose to be complete by March 2nd but it wasnt. he claims he got pushed back because of a truck he was lifting and that it woulnd be done one week later. So i gave him the benefit of the doubt and left my car there with him. By this time all the panels were taken off and the deck was installed leaving the nav unit. That was complete with the nav still having sound, bluetooth and complete control of everything it should besides the radio. the aftermarket deck is hidden in the compartment where the 6 disc was.

After about 5 days of being home, he says he was getting the box Rhino lined to ensure i would have a lifetime warranty and any defects would be fixed for free. He says he showed up to the shop who rhino lines the pieces and one guy had ran over the wood with a forklift and they were trying to cover it up so supposedly the shop payed him for all the wood and he had to redo everything from scratch. Basically the car eneded up not being done by the time i returned... so much for that. I only drove the car once all torn apart =(.

So more time passes and its raining cats and dogs where i was at so the wood couldnt be cut inside the shop with other customers cars having body work done and everything. By this time it had been over a month. Now he said there was an issue with the sunshade but we worked that one out and then came an issue after the carpet was installed, the box was pushing against the rear AC and was grinding somewhere in the back by the filter or something. Now we had discussed that the box would have to be shorted to accomidate me being able to remove it for the spare time. Now its getting UGLY and the sound will be much worse for the fact its 2 13.5" W7s. We know these subs aint no joke and need room. He says he believes 1 suv will sound much better but i already have the amps, subs, batteries and everything needs for them so i dont want to back out of it.

So after it all, he knows im pissed and my wife is even more fed up but i do understand he has my car and i dont want to give up on it. So i decide to ask him for the maximum sounds, what would he say if i wanted to build the box completely in my trunk. My SC300 has one 13.5" W7 and it hits hard and if 2 cant do what 1 can because of the lack of space, im be very dissapoited. I discussed this all to him. My wife knows what the SC sounds like and knows this should be much louder and doesnt wanna be dissapointed. BTW i got an awesome wife lol. So i decided to have the whole trunk built for maximum sound.

Whats your guys take on having the whole trunk done? I wont be looking to carry anything in the car anyways. Im aiming for the whole VIP look too. I figure if my stock bags take a dump and its something in the trunk, ill just remove the bags and go coilovers cause the price would be too much for me wanting to spend. Is there anythign super crucial in the trunk i need to access... anythignn right behind the seats? Im replacing my air filter before he does the work cause the box will have to be destroyed to get to it. the car wont be driven as a DD... more like a weekend car. My SC is my DD and i have a Tahoe my wife drives. As you can tell with the tahoe, if i need trunk space ill be using that.

Would any of you guys agree with my decision? Im curious. The SC side was ok with the one in there but it also is a fraction of the price of a UL LS430. Different ball game here. Thanks guys.

Sorry about the typos, i dont feel like going back through it all haha
Old 04-16-12, 04:55 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Personally, I wouldn't touch that with a ten foot pole.
Old 04-16-12, 05:21 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

U do have an aftermarket receiver unit right? Only cuz minee sounded like *** until I was able to get the shop to be able to get the correct bass signal and tune it properly. It was a big headache but finally my single 12w6 sounds awesome.
Old 04-17-12, 04:00 AM
93SC300.
Lead Lap

Well he gave me a completion date at the end of this month. Hoping everything works out fine and if i hate it then i will just remove it. BTW i do like bass a lot so ima try out something bigger and way out there. ill let you guys know the outcome
Old 04-17-12, 10:10 AM
ultm8mind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Hopefully you can still have access to everything back there somehow. Have you thought of a "shortened box that's longer? Maybe do something funky for the spare to sit on top of it or whatever....
Old 04-18-12, 01:51 AM
93SC300.
Lead Lap

After speaking with the installer he says i may be able to access the ac blower from inside the cab by going behind the seats. he says thats the only real thing he sees that may need to be accessed. Hes shooting some pics of the openings to get to it. I gave up on the spare tire already. Its a done deal. Ive been riding without a spare in my SC for 3 years and everything is good. The LS wont see a trip longer than 70 miles
Old 04-18-12, 03:21 AM
SQuester
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One thing to discuss with the builder is maximizing the sound into the cabin, UL's are notorious for not allowing efficient bass to leave to trunk.

I'd look into a slot port vented through the rear deck at the very least.
Old 04-18-12, 04:52 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SQuester
One thing to discuss with the builder is maximizing the sound into the cabin, UL's are notorious for not allowing efficient bass to leave to trunk.

I'd look into a slot port vented through the rear deck at the very least.
yeah this was one of my 2 big problems. the bass sounded so trapped like i was standing outside the back door of a super dance club or something.

i got a custom top ported box where the port is like a foot long and dumps out right through the opening of where the stock sub used to sit,, the sound difference is night and day to me.

i don't really think you need to access the rear ac filter thing except once in like 60-70k miles. i replaced mines last year and it still looked new, but i have prolly only ran my rear ac like 25 times if this many even.
Old 04-18-12, 05:26 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Use your entire trunk for the car's sound system? ...seriously?.oh well, have at it, different strokes for different folks.
Old 04-18-12, 10:25 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Note on rear A/C. Unlike Sojah, I never turn the rear A/C off. Living in the AZ desert, the rear A/C really helps in quickly reducing the temperature and maintaining it. That makes for a super A/C unit in a big car. Wouldn't have it any other way!
Old 04-19-12, 06:19 AM
93SC300.
Lead Lap

Well im into mobile audio. Im not heavily into it but my vehicles have something in them. I figured that this car was a big car, im leaning towards the vip look and its my weekend car, why not go super big on it. I mean 2 13s isnt anything super wild but its good enough to make some noise. The installer has sent me some photos or what the box looks like but its only in the first stage of being installed. The box still has to be rhino lined and carpeted. Im not sure where my amps are going but he says he gots a lil suprise coming for me and hes gonna make it look legit. Im pretty anxious to see it so in about 10 days it should be complete. Here you can see what it will consist of and hows its ported. I knew it had to be ported properly to recieve as much sound as possible and without cutting my car up, i think this is the best way.

BTW, im sure a WHOLE TRUNK setup might sound a lil outrageous to some of you but im still young and into these things. Im only 25, with no kids, married and in the Army. I love to be in my car and have something bumping in my spare time. My wife also loves bass also so it works for making her happy. Thanks for not flaming my thread guys
Attached Thumbnails Using the whole trunk for a sound system?-528785_10150761861704243_750434242_9414712_1443503697_n.jpg   Using the whole trunk for a sound system?-562036_10150761865649243_1863604494_n.jpg  

Last edited by 93SC300.; 04-19-12 at 06:25 AM.