LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Lowering? Lowering Springs?? LS430 03'

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-12, 09:16 PM
Jrmitchell
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowering? Lowering Springs?? LS430 03'

Ok, incase you haven't read my last post, just informing you all, I'm very new to all of this. I heard something about lowering springs and other methods of lowering my car and I'm just curious. Acouple questions regarding lowering my car. If it helps I want to get 20'' Rims with low profile tires before or around the same time that i purchase anything to lower my car. I want my car low but not ridiculously low. Something noticeable but not insane something that just fills up the wheel well. ( not something that i have to worry about slamming )
  1. What is the best & cheapest method of lowering my car?
  2. What ever method I choose where would i get it installed?
  3. Do certain methods require extra care or maintenance?
Help is greatly appreciated!
Old 01-27-12, 03:33 PM
LsBanGer43
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome!!

I say find the wheels you want then do a test fit an see how much of a gap you have to work with, then you can decide on how much you want to lower your car. Simple lowering springs will be able to get you the drop you want just need to find the right brand that can achieve that for you.

I personally suggest coilovers just because of the adjustablity of the ride height, and a whole lot easier to install because it's one whole piece (shock and springs) vs. just buying the springs where they'll have to pull everything out disassemble the stock shock an spring and replace.( that will add up on hours just on dis-assembly and reassembly of the shock and spring. just a FYI, but it's your choice just giving you my 2 cents. hopefully this will help you out a bit.

As for maintaining the car after you lower your car with springs, I'd just keep an eye out on your shocks down the road.

(just add up the total cost of a shock and spring set up vs a coilover system they shouldn't be two much apart from pricing, which makes it more better to go for the coilover route.)

Good luck!!
Old 01-28-12, 10:28 AM
rich30769
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too have a question with going with the lowering spring setup. I've lowered my fair share of BMW's and MB's and that consisted of springs and shocks. I've noticed many that go the spring route never mention changing to the correct shock. On the previously mentioned cars, it made a difference over the long haul when riding on the correct spring/damper setup. Is it because that it's only a temporary install that no one mentions that they've also changed their shocks? Maybe they have and I just missed it, or is that the reason most go to coilovers?

Thanks,
Richie
Old 01-28-12, 12:12 PM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you want a cheap entry level kit then we can get you the Megan EZ Coilovers. They are not a whole lot more than lowering springs and will give you a lot more adjustability and options.

Just shoot us a PM if you're interested