LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Looking at LS430s...

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-11, 01:24 PM
1flossedm3
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Looking at LS430s...

I'm looking at buying a LS430 for a daily driver. (04-06). I really like these cars but I do not want anything that is going to have major repair bills so I'm trying to avoid air ride. How do I know if the LS430 has air ride? I LOVE the white/black cars but they appear to be rare and fetch a premium.

Do LS430's have sattelite radio? I am trying to avoid the outdated NAV system as well. Is the Mark Levinson sound that good?

I just know Lexus V8s can be reliable, and this car will see 12kmi per year probably.

I'm also looking at 07 GS350s as well.

Thanks guys!
Old 09-06-11, 05:35 PM
skassamali
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Model details are below. Only way of telling if it's the UL (w/ air suspension) is if it has memory seat positions in the back. That's the way I did it. Headlamp washers are another way, but they are also available on the CL (rare). How far are you willing to go to purchase one?

Base - rare, no cooled seats

Premium - cooled seats in front, heated in back, no nav. Can have sport suspension (badge on fender)

Modern luxury: Premium + nav + backup camera + bluetooth (can have sport suspension)

Custom luxury: Modern lux + headlamp washers + power door closers + added leather + laminated side windows + suede headliner

Ultra luxury: Custom lux + air suspension + back seat upgrades
Old 09-06-11, 06:32 PM
yuri.ber
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by skassamali

Custom luxury: Modern lux + headlamp washers + power door closers + added leather + laminated side windows + suede headliner

+ radar cruise control on Custom and Ultra Luxury.
Old 09-06-11, 07:03 PM
1flossedm3
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by skassamali
Model details are below. Only way of telling if it's the UL (w/ air suspension) is if it has memory seat positions in the back. That's the way I did it. Headlamp washers are another way, but they are also available on the CL (rare). How far are you willing to go to purchase one?

Base - rare, no cooled seats

Premium - cooled seats in front, heated in back, no nav. Can have sport suspension (badge on fender)

Modern luxury: Premium + nav + backup camera + bluetooth (can have sport suspension)

Thank you for this post.

I'm willing to go pretty far for the correct car. Only thing I don't like is I will have to have something shipped ($$$) if it's REALLY far away.
Old 09-06-11, 07:04 PM
1flossedm3
Driver School Candidate

Also, is the Mark Levinson stereo only on cars that have NAV? Is the ML really THAT much better than the standard 7 speaker stereo? I feel like the NAV may be more trouble than its worth.

Do all 04+s come with factory sattelite radio? I HAVE to have sat. radio in my car.
Old 09-06-11, 08:06 PM
Dragking91
Driver School Candidate

I don't think LS430 come with Sat Radio as factory. If your willing to go all out for the right car, why not get the LS460. It nav is way better than the LS430 and pretty much got everything your looking for. For a well maintenance LS430 with low mileage and everything still 70-80% like new. Your looking close to 30k or even more with about 5 or 6k more you can get a base LS460 with about 40-50k on it. It also equipped with a new power train and the world's first 8 Speed tranny. From look to drive, it is a all around better car than the LS430.
Old 09-07-11, 02:46 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

In 04-06, the Mark Levinson radio was packaged with the nav and the radio controls are heavily integrated into the touchscreen. Satellite radio was a separate option.

The most sensible LS430 to purchase is a premium. However, once you sit in a CL or UL with the black semi aniline leather or the ecru or saddle comfort leather, all with the extra leather trim, it's hard to go back. While the nav is dated, I felt the non-nav dash looked too much like a Toyota. My first choice was a CL, which is what I found, followed by a premium.

As for deciding between a 430 v. 460, there are arguments on both sides. I chose the 430 because I preferred the Mercedes-esque styling v. the BMW-esque styling of the 460. Also, the 430 felt more roomy and comfortable in the front seat. Early 460s have reported wind noise problems and the engine spring issue to contend with. My perception is that that pinnacle of Lexus quality was during the late LS400 through LS430 vehicles.

Good luck in your search.
Old 09-07-11, 10:35 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by caddyowner
In 04-06, the Mark Levinson radio was packaged with the nav and the radio controls are heavily integrated into the touchscreen. Satellite radio was a separate option.

The most sensible LS430 to purchase is a premium. However, once you sit in a CL or UL with the black semi aniline leather or the ecru or saddle comfort leather, all with the extra leather trim, it's hard to go back. While the nav is dated, I felt the non-nav dash looked too much like a Toyota. My first choice was a CL, which is what I found, followed by a premium.

As for deciding between a 430 v. 460, there are arguments on both sides. I chose the 430 because I preferred the Mercedes-esque styling v. the BMW-esque styling of the 460. Also, the 430 felt more roomy and comfortable in the front seat. Early 460s have reported wind noise problems and the engine spring issue to contend with. My perception is that that pinnacle of Lexus quality was during the late LS400 through LS430 vehicles.

For me.....Caddyowner's last sentence says it best. "My perception is that the pinnacle of Lexus quality was during the late LS400 through LS430 vehicles. I have also heard of some issues with the LS460.
Old 09-07-11, 12:00 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by caddyowner

Agree - netted out that's the deal...very nicely put.
Old 09-07-11, 02:05 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The 430 is one of the best daily drivers ever made. I am certainly very impressed with the level of quality, refinement, and solidity offered by the 430. If you don't want nav, then go with the premium package. The ML sound is decent, but the sub is known for issues as are the fuses. If you're an audiophile, you will probably be inclined to pick one up with ML sound (in which case I would suggest modern luxury since it adds nav, bluetooth, and backup cam with ML sound, but nothing more). I would recommend you drive one without nav and one with nav to make some comparisons.

Here is my old thread from when I was considering a 430 about a year ago.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...our-input.html
Old 09-10-11, 12:18 AM
jme92399
Driver School Candidate

I have a beauty to bad I am in California, LS430-2006, pearl white with cashmere interior and loaded excellent condition, she is really a beautiful car,hate to part with her
Old 09-12-11, 01:49 PM
1flossedm3
Driver School Candidate

Still looking! Thanks everyone for the info.
Old 09-14-11, 04:29 PM
N889js
Driver School Candidate

2004 LS 430 is the 1st year for Satellite Radio
Old 09-15-11, 04:29 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Seriose capable, still need to wire in the pick up to the head unit 200 bucks
Old 09-15-11, 04:50 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Good luck in your ongoing search. I allocated 4 months to find my car (timed to coincide with the end of a lease). I searched nationally and started with very narrow criteria:

- 05-06 custom luxury
- Flint mica or silver
- Black interior
- Under 35K miles
- Prefer CPO.

I planned to expand the criteria monthly and, if I couldn't find a LS, probably buy a local CPO Cadillac DTS Lux III or Performance just as my lease on the Lincoln MKZ expired. I found my car (05, CL, flint mica, black interior, 30.5K miles, not CPO) 1800 miles away at the end of the first month of searching.

Quick Reply: Looking at LS430s...