LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Ls430 ipod connection

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-11, 12:40 PM
Ipod800
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ls430 ipod connection

I found this on ebay, simple gateway, but it says its compatable with 2005 and 2006 LS430. I have a 2004 LS430 UL, I thought everything is the same for 2004 - 06 ls 430?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...TQ:MOTORS:1123
Old 03-16-11, 03:25 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I just use a tape casette adapter. This was the highest rated one (see link) and I think quality is great...no constant background noises, had it for 6 months.

Looks oldschool, but works like a charm and is a dirt cheap solution to hook up any music player with a standard (3.5mm I believe) headphone jack.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CDoQ8wIwAg#
Old 03-16-11, 04:54 PM
HiloDB1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Not sure what your budget is but Vaistech has some neat Ipod integration units for our cars.

http://www.vaistech.com/products/sl2i.php

There is also USA Spec and Dice Electronics who make units.
Old 03-16-11, 08:13 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

I bought and installed the Soundgate TOYPD2 Ipod adapter. Easy install, works well, sounds great. Running an 8gig nano in th eglove with 50+ cds worth of music.

I'm not shilling for Soundgate, not sure they are even selling the interface anymore, but there are some companies selling ipod interfaces out there and that is what I would recommend you use. Anything else (cassette, speaker jack inputs, etc is an order of magnitude lower quality than a real ipod interface device that integrates the line level output and control directly into the headunit .

Last edited by Jabberwock; 03-16-11 at 08:25 PM.
Old 03-19-11, 02:10 AM
LexusFans
Driver School Candidate

I just install a DICE unit in mine. It was much easier then I though. Works perfectly with my iPhone 4 and the best part it only cost $105. I can control through my steering wheels buttons as well.
Old 03-19-11, 06:46 AM
thinkin
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bad English: Check.
Handle references product: Check.
Ebay link: Check.

Advertiser: Confidence is high.
The following users liked this post:
LSBij (05-29-19)
Old 03-20-11, 06:46 PM
iShift
Driver School Candidate

do any of you guys have cassette adapter problems? i have this weird buzzing sounds when i crank the volume of my LS up. I have a 2001 LS but it's only noticeable when the volume in my ipod is under 60%ish or when the music has pauses or lighter parts of the song. But the thing is at the same time if i play songs over 75% volume on my ipod the quality or clearness of the music isnt as good as it is at 50%. Any suggestions?
Old 03-20-11, 07:11 PM
thinkin
Pole Position

Try the Philips cassette adapter you can pick up at Walmart for around $10; there's a post on here about it and the sound is surprisingly good. Your ipod volume should probably be around 3/4.
Old 03-20-11, 07:12 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

@iShift: Check out my link. I'm probably one of the few who run cassette adapters as most members have hardwired a connection (I would too, but I'm apprehensive about taking apart half the dashboard). See my link above, the tape by Sony has virtually no distortion or ghost background noise. I run an iphone 3GS with it. Don't crank the volume on the ipod...leave it at 75% or below and the sound should come in crystal clear. Also, the cassette adapter itself makes a huge difference. I've cassettes from other companies and they all leave something to be desired and fall way short of the one made by Sony.
Old 03-20-11, 07:14 PM
thinkin
Pole Position

Here you go:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...-surprise.html
Old 03-20-11, 08:53 PM
Jabberwock

Sorry but running that plastic cassette thing into an ipod is an abomination. Makes me dizzy just thinking about that.. little wire hanging out of the casette slot .. if you knew what was happening to that nice clean audio signal from the ipod to get it to read on a magnetic tape cassette read head ....arrgghhh : )
Old 03-21-11, 06:43 AM
thinkin
Pole Position

I know, I know. I agree with you on paper and I'd tried several similar adapters over the years in various cars and always found them severely lacking, so I was a skeptic too and thought I'd never be able to tolerate a cassette adapter for any amount of time. I still like my TOYPD2 (rebranded Vaistech) for convenience alone (and yes, it sounds better), but for $10 and no permanent modifications the Philips really can't be beat. The iPod signal itself isn't any great shakes either, especially if you're not running a lossless codec to begin with.

Try it before you knock it, it might surprise you.
Old 03-21-11, 08:56 AM
Jabberwock

Originally Posted by thinkin
I know, I know. I agree with you on paper and I'd tried several similar adapters over the years in various cars and always found them severely lacking, so I was a skeptic too and thought I'd never be able to tolerate a cassette adapter for any amount of time. I still like my TOYPD2 (rebranded Vaistech) for convenience alone (and yes, it sounds better), but for $10 and no permanent modifications the Philips really can't be beat. The iPod signal itself isn't any great shakes either, especially if you're not running a lossless codec to begin with.

Try it before you knock it, it might surprise you.

Good points. I certainly agree the digitally rendered audio signal on the ipod is far from ideal but there you have it - welcome to the digital age.. we are pretty much all bought in at this point with no going back.
Old 03-21-11, 08:03 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

I just can't imagine a cassette device with wires all over the place with an iPod connected and laying around somewhere in a classy car like the LS430. Ten bucks to junk up this car?
Old 03-21-11, 08:39 PM
McSwine
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not that hard to install one of the direct adapters. My IQ is in the lower/middle 80's and I managed to pull it off.

In addition to sounding better, you don't have a tampon string hanging out of your dash.

This is the one I got...but it was on sale when I got it for considerably less money. I got this one for the second aux input (for sat/radio & mp3 player) since I don't do iTunes.

http://www.ipodcarpros.com/product_i...roducts_id=166

This is in no way to demean the Philips cassette adapter people...I have one I used a few times and decided to find a better way. For the money, you can't beat it.

Quick Reply: Ls430 ipod connection