LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Tilt steering dead - what are my options?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-17, 06:08 PM
Riick
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I know the tilt mechanism goes out -usually- because a nylon gear gets stripped, while everyone say the telescope function dies because the motor goes bad.
I have to wonder if the real problem is that these parts, and the screw-shafts, levers, and whatnot, never get any post-factory lubrication.
Small motors and gears working against increasing friction are bound to strip or die.
While everything is working fine, it might be great preventive maintenance to get inside there with a spray can of silicone lubricant.
I don't think it could hurt anything, and might bring some systems back to life <shrug>.
Old 03-23-18, 09:22 AM
fperron
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rkw77080
Alternatively (as a temporary solution), you can pull the 20A fuse called "TI&TE" in the driver-side fuse box. This will remove power for both the Tilt and Telescoping motors.
Can anyone tell me where this fuse box and fuse is located on a 1998 GS 400? Neither my drivers side or passenger side fuse box looks anything like this. Thanks. Never mind. I found it. In the GS 400, the fuse is #25 in the passenger side kick panel fuse box. Only problem is that this fuse also controls the power seat system.

Last edited by fperron; 03-23-18 at 09:33 AM. Reason: new Info
Old 03-23-18, 07:17 PM
mafpolo
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

So there is no easy DIY to turn off the tilt without the dealer?
Old 03-23-18, 07:43 PM
WindyCity1
Driver School Candidate

Received 25 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mafpolo
So there is no easy DIY to turn off the tilt without the dealer?
I bought a $40 Techstream cable + CD from eBay and turned it off myself.
The other alternative is to pull the fuse in the panel in the driver's footwell.
Old 12-17-18, 08:24 AM
raymcgill
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Comments on Tilt Motor issues

1. The nylon gear issue was LS400s, not LS430
2. Turning off the feature is done via computer. Buy your own techstream or I prefer the bluetooth dongle and (Carista?) app. The app is $10/wk, but just buy a week. It also lets you configure all the other computer controlled features like seatbelt buzzers and door chimes et al.
3. I was looking for info on how to REBUILD one of the motors or taking one to a generator/motor shop. Anyone done that?
Old 01-12-19, 02:26 AM
Johnnyas
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine has also suffered the same fate, lost both tilt and slide function. I pulled the slide motor out and disassembled it to see if there was anything obvious. It was all nice and clean inside and nothing looked wrong.

In the end I left both motors disconnected and have manually adjusted the column.

Would be nice to have a how-to on fixing them as even second hand replacements are expensive.
Old 01-12-19, 06:32 AM
Gronemus
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by raymcgill
1. The nylon gear issue was LS400s, not LS430
2. Turning off the feature is done via computer. Buy your own techstream or I prefer the bluetooth dongle and (Carista?) app. The app is $10/wk, but just buy a week. It also lets you configure all the other computer controlled features like seatbelt buzzers and door chimes et al.
3. I was looking for info on how to REBUILD one of the motors or taking one to a generator/motor shop. Anyone done that?
There is no way to rebuild the motors. They have, shall we say, a very unique design. Very elegant in some respects...
Old 01-12-19, 06:55 AM
fperron
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Check in the GS 2nd gen forum. When mine started to go, I got it in the correct position and pulled the fuse. You can identify the fuse from your owner's manual.
Old 09-13-20, 03:35 PM
cvas
8th Gear

Hi all,

Sorry to bump an old topic. My 01 LS430 has the same issue. I have zero movement of the steering wheel (no in and out, and no up and down).

I checked all the fuses (there are three) and they are fine. Looks like the motor needs replacement. Pardon my ignorance but my question is. How many motors are there in the steering system? Is it just one tilt motor that does both operations? Or do I need two tilt motors? (Or are they both different motors altogether?)

TIA.

Last edited by cvas; 09-13-20 at 07:25 PM.
Old 09-13-20, 08:41 PM
Gronemus
Advanced

Originally Posted by cvas
Hi all,

Sorry to bump an old topic. My 01 LS430 has the same issue. I have zero movement of the steering wheel (no in and out, and no up and down).

I checked all the fuses (there are three) and they are fine. Looks like the motor needs replacement. Pardon my ignorance but my question is. How many motors are there in the steering system? Is it just one tilt motor that does both operations? Or do I need two tilt motors? (Or are they both different motors altogether?)

TIA.
There are two separate motors; one for the tilt and one for the telescopic. So, you can't get any movement at all on the wheel by moving the control switch? The only reason I ask is that there is a way to disable movement of the steering wheel whenever the vehicle is first started or when it's shut off by setting an option via the diagnostic software but even if this is set, you should still be able to control the wheel position with the control switch...
Old 09-13-20, 08:51 PM
cvas
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Gronemus
There are two separate motors; one for the tilt and one for the telescopic. So, you can't get any movement at all on the wheel by moving the control switch? The only reason I ask is that there is a way to disable movement of the steering wheel whenever the vehicle is first started or when it's shut off by setting an option via the diagnostic software but even if this is set, you should still be able to control the wheel position with the control switch...
No movement whatsoever. Both motors needs replacement I presume? Are the part numbers same for both of them? (89232-50041?)

Last edited by cvas; 09-13-20 at 08:55 PM. Reason: Part number
Old 09-13-20, 09:14 PM
Gronemus
Advanced

Originally Posted by cvas
No movement whatsoever. Both motors needs replacement I presume? Are the part numbers same for both of them? (89232-50041?)
No, they are separate part numbers. You can look at this post to see how I saved some money when I changed my telescopic motor:

telescopic motor thread

If you look two posts down from there I also make a suggestion about the tilt motor but since I haven't had to change mine out I cannot verify using the Land Cruiser part in it's place...
The following users liked this post:
cvas (09-18-20)