LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Tilt steering dead - what are my options?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-10, 09:29 AM
sparky3
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Tilt steering dead - what are my options?

2004 430 with over 132k miles - I drive it 99% of the time; wife rarely drives it. The wheel motor has died for the up/down of the wheel; the in and out do still work though.

I am going to get the C-best setting to disable the "auto tilt away", but since it's now stuck in the upmost position is there any way to manually get under there and take a wrench to adjust it down? It's not worth ~$1k to be able to tilt the wheel up and down. I am comfortable taking panels off the car to get to things.
Think it's possible to manually adjust the up/down steering with a wrench just for a one time "set it and forget it" setting?
Old 12-14-10, 09:41 AM
DDLexus
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

i have a used tilt motor i'd sell you. I posted some pictures of the location of the little motor in another thread. It looks pretty easy to get to and replace.

PM if you're interested in buying the motor.
Old 12-14-10, 09:42 AM
DDLexus
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/5992521-post8.html

here is the direct link to some pictures of the motor location.
Old 12-14-10, 09:49 AM
sparky3
Lead Lap

PM sent....
Old 12-16-10, 11:16 AM
sparky3
Lead Lap

Good news - it started working again, and I had Lexus disable the "Auto-Tilt Away" free of charge.

Thanks for the great offer, but I don't think I'm going to spend the money on the replacement motor.

Shawn
Old 12-16-10, 12:06 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Went to start my car today and found that it doesnt tilt up or down anymore after some time of having it work sparatically. Finally died today. Maybe the cold weather gave it the knockout punch but guess ill worry about it later. Tires first!!!
Old 12-16-10, 01:05 PM
sparky3
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Slvr surfr
Went to start my car today and found that it doesnt tilt up or down anymore after some time of having it work sparatically. Finally died today. Maybe the cold weather gave it the knockout punch but guess ill worry about it later. Tires first!!!
Try this - and no, it makes ZERO sense. Take the bottom piece off right behind the steering wheel. There are 3 screws - one in the middle directly below the wheel and 2 that you have to turn the wheel all the way around to get to. Mine starting working again magically after I removed this piece. It's done this TWICE now - last summer same thing. As soon as I removed it, it came back to life.
Old 12-20-10, 12:54 PM
DanozLS430
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Is your steering motor making some noise but cannot move and seems like it is stuck after pressing the steering up and down button? Mines had that problem and my Lexus mechanic said this is common if the car came from a very cold climate place and a part in the steering column which looks like a small metal rod gets stuck during the motor operation. He changed out that part within 1/2 hour time and now it works perfectly and never got stuck since the repair. It may be a good idea to check with various knowledgeable Master Lexus mechanics for their opinion before changing out the entire motor in case it's only a minor part that needs replacement. Most in house would not give you a theory on what could be wrong unless you bring in your car. The mobile master Lexus mechanic I used kind of knew what was wrong as soon as I mentioned the problem and he saved me a lot of money compared to what others wanted to replace. Hope this helps.
Old 05-21-15, 08:12 PM
bustta1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default do you still have tilt motor for sale

Originally Posted by DDLexus
i have a used tilt motor i'd sell you. I posted some pictures of the location of the little motor in another thread. It looks pretty easy to get to and replace.

PM if you're interested in buying the motor.
Hello...need tilt motor is yours still for sale
Old 05-22-15, 11:25 AM
Rexor20
Driver School Candidate

So do you guys just go to the dealer and ask them to turn the tilt off? How long does it take for them to do?
Old 05-22-15, 02:30 PM
sushiboiii
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

its fairly quick. you can even take it to toyota to get done as well.

Originally Posted by bustta1
Hello...need tilt motor is yours still for sale
the post is from like 2010 im sure he doesn't have it anymore. there were plenty of them on ebay last time i needed to replace mine.
Old 05-22-15, 03:16 PM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

the steering wheel tilt was also an issue with my 430. Never fixed it, just lived with it.
Old 05-22-15, 05:15 PM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 675 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by Rexor20
So do you guys just go to the dealer and ask them to turn the tilt off? How long does it take for them to do?
Alternatively (as a temporary solution), you can pull the 20A fuse called "TI&TE" in the driver-side fuse box. This will remove power for both the Tilt and Telescoping motors.
The following users liked this post:
eelliiss (08-20-23)
Old 10-24-17, 12:06 PM
fperron
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Anyone happen to know if you have to pull the fuse while the wheel is in the down and extended position (with the key in the switch)? Seems like if you pulled the fuse while the wheel was retracted - it would stay that way after the fuse was pulled.
Old 10-24-17, 01:37 PM
ProjektSON
Rookie

I would say set it how you want to keep it, then pull the fuse. You won't be able to adjust, and it won't auto adjust.

Quick Reply: Tilt steering dead - what are my options?