Browse all: Tires and Wheels Guide
Print Wikipost

Front wheel bearing / hub replacement How to 04-06 LS430

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-16, 06:43 PM
vollandt
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just replaced my front passenger side hub this weekend. I had a hell of a time getting the hub out. I did all of the things listed in this post and then some. With the knuckle out and horizontal, I treated both sides with weasel **** 6 hours. I pounded everything and anything (hub retaining bolts, punch in the bearing gap, hub wheel flange. ). I finally got it off by using a friends 20ton harbor freight shop press. To get it to sit flat in the press with the hub free to press out, I had to take make two to hub flange with a grinder. When it finally came loose, it seemed like we were getting close to the limits of the press. Judging from the pressure applied and the loud crack when it finally came loose, I think the chances ever getting the hub free with hand tools was pretty close to zero.

Last edited by vollandt; 05-15-16 at 06:46 PM.
Old 10-03-16, 02:05 AM
herculesx
Driver School Candidate

Great Write Up,and Great DIY!
I always take my 2 Lexus to the 2 Dealers in my area for State Inspection. I make sure everything is right before hand but I alway wind up with a Tail Light Bulb or some
other minor bull. When one year they hit me with the Mr. So&So your car won’t pass because you have a bad left Front Wheel Bearing, I didn’t even Think
To ask How Much,I thought a Bearing $75.00 Tops. So I said go ahead Do it. I got a call about 3:30PM from the Dealer with the Car is Done Your Total is 497.53 !
Still Have the Slip. I asked what the heck did you do? Inspection and Wheel Bearing,I told him I want the old Parts.When I got to the Dealer there was my Bill and an Oil Seal and Bearing in a Plastic Bag.
Any way I guess why they want so Much is because they take the Knuckle off ,Take the Hub apart and remove the Bearing and oil seal,Then they put a New Seal and Bearing back in your Old
Hub and put that back in your old Knuckle and put that back on the Car.Now I AM NOT sticking up for the Dealerships in Anyway!
But the mechanic told me the Knuckle and the Hub and a lot of the Suspension Parts are Matched ,(I don’t know?) And using the Original Parts
If not damaged or Worn is the Best Way to Go? Take it for what its worth but that was his Story?
herculesx

Last edited by herculesx; 10-03-16 at 02:08 AM.
Old 10-10-16, 05:43 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I buddies son charged 100 bucks with the front brakes done while he was in there to do the hub. It was my second one off the internet from the place out of Alabama stamped Koyo this one 138 bucks. Happy with the hub and install. tipped him 40 bucks. He is working on my sub, hood struts, window gasket as we speak also.
Old 10-11-16, 01:48 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by herculesx
Great Write Up,and Great DIY!
I always take my 2 Lexus to the 2 Dealers in my area for State Inspection. I make sure everything is right before hand but I alway wind up with a Tail Light Bulb or some
other minor bull. When one year they hit me with the Mr. So&So your car won’t pass because you have a bad left Front Wheel Bearing, I didn’t even Think
To ask How Much,I thought a Bearing $75.00 Tops. So I said go ahead Do it. I got a call about 3:30PM from the Dealer with the Car is Done Your Total is 497.53 !
Still Have the Slip. I asked what the heck did you do? Inspection and Wheel Bearing,I told him I want the old Parts.When I got to the Dealer there was my Bill and an Oil Seal and Bearing in a Plastic Bag.
Any way I guess why they want so Much is because they take the Knuckle off ,Take the Hub apart and remove the Bearing and oil seal,Then they put a New Seal and Bearing back in your Old
Hub and put that back in your old Knuckle and put that back on the Car.Now I AM NOT sticking up for the Dealerships in Anyway!
But the mechanic told me the Knuckle and the Hub and a lot of the Suspension Parts are Matched ,(I don’t know?) And using the Original Parts
If not damaged or Worn is the Best Way to Go? Take it for what its worth but that was his Story?
herculesx
I changed my front wheel bearing hub (Koyo) a few months ago. I had my local Infiniti dealership do it for me for $175 in labor and I supplied the hub which I think was around $200. I would not have liked your deal because if they just change the bearing from the original hub, I read previously, there could still be some wear from the inside of the hub and the bearing could prematurely fail. Why wouldn't a Lexus dealership change the entire hub? I know that Lexus did quote me a crazy price to replace my hub for around 7-800 big ones! I'd rather have the entire hub than the bearing unless the price was significant and they will be guaranteeing the work for more than one year!
Old 03-12-17, 07:02 PM
svlexus
Driver

Im doing this tomorrow. Since the old unit is junk why not just bust through the plastic housing and punch it out from the center? Ill see how I do it and report back.
Old 03-15-17, 12:03 PM
svlexus
Driver

What a pita, I couldnt get it out and finally took the spindle off and brought it into a shop to have the bearing pressed out. It didnt fix the problem, I still have a rumble/roar that gets worse when turning left. Im about to swap tires around but I have an eerie feeling it isnt gonna fix the problem.
Old 03-15-17, 02:29 PM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 675 Likes on 462 Posts

It could very well be the tire (or related rotating parts) rubbing against something. Have you tried lifting the front tires off the ground and steering them to the left, then use your hands to rotate each tire to see where the rumble/roar comes from.
Old 03-15-17, 02:39 PM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Also, if you replaced only one front bearing, the rumble/roar maybe coming from the other front bearing. It could, in rare occasions, come from the rear bearings.
Old 03-15-17, 03:09 PM
svlexus
Driver

I was thinking the same about rubbing but dont see anything. I put the spare on and moved the tires around and for some reason it still increases with a left turn? Im thinking maybe a center driveshaft bearing but that isnt turn dependent at all. I should look closer into potential rubbing. I brought the thing into a shop for diagnosis 2 weeks ago but after calling them I showed up late and they said they couldnt put it on a lift and itd be 25 to diagnose. I shouldve brought it back but ill bet when i bring it in they will say its a right side wheel bearing which I just replaced 2.
Old 03-15-17, 03:24 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by svlexus
What a pita, I couldnt get it out and finally took the spindle off and brought it into a shop to have the bearing pressed out. It didnt fix the problem, I still have a rumble/roar that gets worse when turning left. Im about to swap tires around but I have an eerie feeling it isnt gonna fix the problem.
You replaced the right side bearing I hope?
Old 03-15-17, 03:41 PM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

I was thinking the same about rubbing but dont see anything. I put the spare on and moved the tires around and for some reason it still increases with a left turn? Im thinking maybe a center driveshaft bearing but that isnt turn dependent at all. I should look closer into potential rubbing. I brought the thing into a shop for diagnosis 2 weeks ago but after calling them I showed up late and they said they couldnt put it on a lift and itd be 25 to diagnose. I shouldve brought it back but ill bet when i bring it in they will say its a right side wheel bearing which I just replaced 2.
To be a little more specific when you lift the tires off the ground, you have to rest the lower control arm on a jack-stand so that the weight of the vehicle is pushing down on the spring. Otherwise if you lift the car up and let the tire drop (spring extended), you will not see any rubbing.

Last edited by rkw77080; 03-15-17 at 03:57 PM.
Old 03-15-17, 04:33 PM
svlexus
Driver

I had all 4 wheels off, there doesnt seem to be anything in the way. I have to get help and get under the car, I did it the past week but im super scared when running the car in gear on jackstands with me outside of it. I thought at one point the rear made noise? Today seems good with both wheels up.
If I had to guess id say its still a wheel bearing but its odd that it makes more noise when turning left when I replaced those ones. I guess it may act different sometimes? like maybe a different part of the bearing race got worn?

I may have had 2 bearings going at once, but its odd that its worse turning left still after replacinng both right side bearings.
Old 03-15-17, 05:03 PM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

I may have had 2 bearings going at once, but its odd that its worse turning left still after replacing both right side bearings.
What do you mean by "replacing both right side bearings"? Front and rear bearings on the passenger side?
Old 03-15-17, 05:20 PM
svlexus
Driver

Yeah, pita for the front. It still makes more noise turning left.
Old 03-15-17, 06:49 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

The front wheel bearing hub is a pita in the northern climate where rust fuses the hub onto the fork. You need a BFH to get the old bearing off.

Quick Reply: Front wheel bearing / hub replacement How to 04-06 LS430