LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Battery Size and type for 2006 LS430

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-10, 01:54 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts
Default Battery Size and type for 2006 LS430

I am going to need a new battery pretty soon. I have the original factory battery and the indicator stop glowing on it sometime in the last month or so. Still starts the car but I think its on its last legs. Does anyone know exactly what kind of battery size and type is required in a replacement battery - like what group number? I think that is the basic designation for a battery...
Old 11-01-10, 02:10 PM
votru
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

24F and should be on battery label...............I'm just replace my as well with Die Hard Gold at Sears since heard good thing about them (test out the theory ).
Old 11-01-10, 03:17 PM
lex2001
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Go with a Kirkland battery from Costco. Three year 100% replacement, prorated for the final life. They are made by Johnson Controls and have a label life of 94 months. All for about $75.
Old 11-01-10, 07:35 PM
danxp
Driver

also keep in mind that your battery should have an 84-month warranty, so ask your dealer what the options are...

you may get a prorated credit towards a new oem battery... the dealer was going to charge $175 for the battery and i would have gotten a small credit, but it didn't make it less than the $100 i spent on a new battery from autozone... works fine so far...

good luck!
Old 11-01-10, 08:20 PM
Jabberwock

Thanks for the quick replies - I checked my local Walmart for the Everstart Maxx 24F battery - it was priced at $77 and had date codes of Oct 2010. I will check Costco this weekend.

From doing some research it seems there are very few actual battery manufactures left (like virtually every other manufactured item in the US). So many of the old line brands are now actually made in the same factory using identical materials but marketed and sold as different products. Many of the batteries in the US currently being sold under multiple brands are actually manufactured by either Johnson Controls or by Exide. Postings/reviews seem to favor brands made by Johnson. Its likely only a matter of time before JC buys Exide or vice versa - to cut costs, yada, yada. Then a year or two later the the next brilliant move is to go out of business, or move all manufacturing to Mexico or China. Got to love those MBAs : )

Walmart sources batteries from both Johnson and Exide but the batteries are marked (fine print) with the manufacture's name. Costco batteries are supposed to be all from Johnson Controls but I haven't verified that yet.

Last edited by Jabberwock; 11-01-10 at 08:26 PM.
Old 11-01-10, 09:44 PM
vollandt
Driver

johnson makes a superior product to exide and costco stocks johnson. the big difference in price is between vendors is because of the battery's age and contract to send it back after a period of time. For example a supplier to AAA only carries stock less than 60 days old. Batteries in stock after 60 days are sent back, relabeled and sold to discounters like walmart. Wallmart also needs to augment their stock with fresh batteries. as long as the battery has a fresh date, it doesn't matter where you buy it.
Old 11-02-10, 05:09 AM
Jabberwock

Marketing Brand Company ///// Actual Manufacturer
ACDelco = Johnson Controls
Advance Auto = Johnson Controls
AutoCraft = Johnson Controls
Autolite = Exide
AutoZone = Johnson Controls
Bosch = Johnson Controls
Champion = Johnson Controls
Costco = Johnson Controls
Delco = Johnson Controls
Delco-Remy = Exide
DieHard = Johnson Controls
Duralast = Johnson Controls
Duralast = Johnson Controls
Equalizer = Johnson Controls
EverStart (Wal-Mart) = Exide or Johnson Controls, depending on model
Firestone = Johnson Controls
Interstate = Johnson Controls
Marathon = Exide
Motorcraft = Johnson Controls
NAPA = Exide
Optima = Johnson Controls
Orbital = Exide
Pep Boys = Johnson Controls
Sears = Exide or Johnson Controls, depending on model
Wal-Mart = Exide or Johnson Controls, depending on model

Note this list constantly changes over time as marketing Brand companies change sourcing contracts but it does give you an idea of how consolidated the battery industry has become in the US.

Last edited by Jabberwock; 11-02-10 at 05:14 AM.
Old 11-02-10, 09:03 AM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 201 Likes on 150 Posts

I bought an Interstate MTP-24F a few months ago. It has 800 CCA, 1000 CA, 125 minutes reserve capacity, and 85 months warranty. It was the highest CCA battery I could find, which is something I wanted considering the winter temperatures in Canada/Ottawa.

It was purchased from an authorized Interstate dealer and I verified that the battery was freshly manufactured using the date code and checked that the charge was properly maintained while in storage.
Old 11-02-10, 10:53 AM
mewhee
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just last week we had our '06 go stone cold dead twice on consecutive mornings. First problem since purchasing the car last Spring. After jump starting it each time w/ our ever handy portable jump starter/air compresser, we decided to take it to our local Lexus dealer who confirmed it WAS the battery and not something else more dire. Since it was already there, we bit the bullet and purchased their $175. "Lexus" battery which included installation and checking out the battery related electronics after install - oh and a coupla' Mrs. Fields cookies, Starbucks coffee and a car wash while waiting.

Hmmmmm, expensive cookies/coffee/carwash but they do come w/ peace of mind
Old 11-02-10, 12:24 PM
RomanTPA
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by mewhee
Hmmmmm, expensive cookies/coffee/carwash but they do come w/ peace of mind
not what i heard from some of the horror stories i have read about. and its not really a car wash, its more of a hose down.

on the battery note, interstate is always been the top choice of master mechanics that i know. btw, thats what i have in my LS, a 1000 CA one. and dont forget you can go to their website and print out a coupon for $10-20 which will lower the price to under $100. 100 is not much for a 84month warrantee battery
Old 11-02-10, 07:26 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

The problem with waiting until our batteries die risks having to get a jump start which is not the best thing for our electronics.
Old 11-02-10, 07:29 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by RomanTPA
not what i heard from some of the horror stories i have read about. and its not really a car wash, its more of a hose down.

on the battery note, interstate is always been the top choice of master mechanics that i know. btw, thats what i have in my LS, a 1000 CA one. and dont forget you can go to their website and print out a coupon for $10-20 which will lower the price to under $100. 100 is not much for a 84month warrantee battery
My G35 is on the 3rd Interstate battery which is what Infiniti uses for their cars. I get close to 3 years out of each one before it is the end of the road. I believe they are all 7 year batteries.
Old 11-05-10, 05:30 AM
fencera
Rookie

Hey all,

I attached a copy of a Consumer Reports comprehensive auto battery test from '08. Hope it's helpful.
Attached Files
Old 11-05-10, 06:51 AM
Jabberwock

Originally Posted by fencera
Hey all,

I attached a copy of a Consumer Reports comprehensive auto battery test from '08. Hope it's helpful.
Thanks - great information!
Old 11-05-10, 07:32 AM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 201 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by fencera
Hey all,

I hadn't seen this before, but it looks like the Interstate MTP-24F tops the Group 24 category when price is not a factor. Good to know there is additional supporting data for my choice of battery. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Battery Size and type for 2006 LS430