LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

LS 430-tire pressure reset switch location?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-10, 10:31 AM
milesdf
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default LS 430-tire pressure reset switch location?

Help!
Where the heck is my 2004 "tire pressure warning system reset switch?"
Manual shows some pics that I can't find. Arrgghh!
Not above right knee under the dash as others have suggested.
Any suggestions on where to look next?
Can't believe it is this hard to find a stinking switch!
Arrgghh again!
Dave
Old 09-26-10, 12:05 PM
ayonnebay
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by milesdf
I have an '04, and it's above the right knee, under the dash .......
Old 09-26-10, 12:09 PM
mikevanle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can to crawl in there. Open up your driver's door and lay down on your back looking up at underneath the dash and you'll see it. It's next to the **** to control the sound for the "beep" of the alarm.
Old 09-26-10, 12:28 PM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

It is WAAAY up inside there for a reason. You have to literally contort and get completely underneath the dash then look straight up to see it. The button to disable your Smart Key is also there, along with the previously mentioned beep volume control.
Old 09-26-10, 02:58 PM
whitetooth
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Help!
Where the heck is my 2004 "tire pressure warning system reset switch?"
Manual shows some pics that I can't find. Arrgghh!
Any suggestions on where to look next?
Can't believe it is this hard to find a stinking switch!
Arrgghh again!
Dave
Why do you need to reset? Seeing it is not helpfull as yo have to watch the dashboard initialize message. Normal arms are long enough to push and hold the switch. And you have to hold a long time while the engine is off and ignition on.
Old 09-26-10, 05:41 PM
milesdf
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Found it!
Thanks, guys! It was way up there under the dash.
If I get any older and less agile, I will have to draft my son to find that switch!
Again, many thanks for "talking" me through it!
Cheers!
Dave
Old 09-26-10, 07:36 PM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Found it!
Thanks, guys! It was way up there under the dash.
If I get any older and less agile, I will have to draft my son to find that switch!
Again, many thanks for "talking" me through it!
Cheers!
Dave
No prob! Glad to help.
Old 01-12-12, 08:40 AM
Lexie's LS
Driver School Candidate

Yesterday I noticed a low tire. Turned out the tire, halfway through its useful life, had tread separating. But there was no warning light on. So I get to the tire dealer and he fixes the issue with a brand new tire, and charged me for consumed tread life. All well and good.

I'm ready to go, and NOW the low tire pressure warning light is on. Here's a clue: if the warning light is not going to illuminate when the tire is low, why have it at all? I have no plans to try out for Cirque du Soleil and really don't care to put all this effort into zipping a light that is worthless in the first place.

Let's face it...all these warning lights with a maze of reset puzzles are a joke wrapped in an insult. How about Lexus engineers focus more on vehicle design and simplicity and save the electronic origami for the folks over at Hyundai?
Old 01-12-12, 10:24 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I found that my tire pressure warning light will come on if pressure in one tire is more than 5 lbs. less than the other tires. Remember that the LS430 TPMS is the old-fashioned system based on rotation compared to the other wheels (read by the ABS sensor) rather than a pressure sensor in each tire. I actually prefer this system as I don't get warnings when pressure in all tires drops due to a cold morning (though you should air up your tires in the winter) and I don't have to have a separate set of sensors / relearning when switching between summer and winter wheels/tires.
Old 01-12-12, 10:31 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexie's LS
Yesterday I noticed a low tire. Turned out the tire, halfway through its useful life, had tread separating. But there was no warning light on. So I get to the tire dealer and he fixes the issue with a brand new tire, and charged me for consumed tread life. All well and good.

I'm ready to go, and NOW the low tire pressure warning light is on. Here's a clue: if the warning light is not going to illuminate when the tire is low, why have it at all? I have no plans to try out for Cirque du Soleil and really don't care to put all this effort into zipping a light that is worthless in the first place.

Let's face it...all these warning lights with a maze of reset puzzles are a joke wrapped in an insult. How about Lexus engineers focus more on vehicle design and simplicity and save the electronic origami for the folks over at Hyundai?
Simple would be no low pressure detection system and warning. That's not what Lexus is about. I have no problem resetting the switch after having my tires balanced and rotated every 5000 miles. I'm glad to have the feature.
Old 01-24-12, 01:26 PM
dcurcio
Driver School Candidate

So just to jump in...just filling the air in the tires will NOT make the light go off?? I have to go under the dash and find a switch in my GX470?

I had this problem once while my car was under warranty so Lexus fixed it and said it was the spare tire that was low. I didn't realize that they also "reset" a switch.

FYI mine blinks for a minute and then becomes steady.

Thanks in advance
Old 01-24-12, 03:09 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

The manual should say that the reset button is above the driver's right ankle rather than knee.

The system will only react to a gross rotational difference in one or more wheels compared to the other's values. Theoretically if a tire has a leak or puncture as it deflates its overall physical diameter gets smaller so the ABS system will detect that one tire rotates more than the other tires per a given speed as the car is in motion and flags it as a possible inflation problem.

Its important to understand that an ABS based system actually has absolutely no idea what actual the tire pressures are. It is a size based rotation sensing system so unless the car is moving there is no way the system can detect a tire deflation.
Old 01-24-12, 03:11 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dcurcio
So just to jump in...just filling the air in the tires will NOT make the light go off?? I have to go under the dash and find a switch in my GX470?

I had this problem once while my car was under warranty so Lexus fixed it and said it was the spare tire that was low. I didn't realize that they also "reset" a switch.

FYI mine blinks for a minute and then becomes steady.

Thanks in advance
This is the LS430 section (2001-2006) and the LS had an ABS sensor based TPMS system rather than in-tire pressure sensors. The system has no knowledge of the spare tire. It sounds like your GX470 has a different system.
Old 01-24-12, 09:32 PM
dcurcio
Driver School Candidate

Thanks everyone I found the switch and the light went off. Whew!!!
Old 07-14-12, 10:50 PM
Hunter68
Driver School Candidate

Thank you so much for your response in this forum. I found it by doing a google search and now KNOW how to reset the damn.....unavoidable mystery of where is this switch???? The owner's manual is useless as it does not note the true location of this gosh darn switch!!!

Quick Reply: LS 430-tire pressure reset switch location?