LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Driver side mirror not moving up & down!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-10, 02:18 AM
subtracted
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Read this thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...r-adjujst.html
Old 07-13-11, 02:15 PM
pff1234
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by durian
Does anyone know the page where it shows how to properly take the mirror apart to replace the motors in it?
DID YOU EVER GET AN ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION? I AM HAVING A PROBLEM WITH EXTENSION AND RETRACTION OF THE DRIVERS SIDE MIRROR...HEAR CLICK,CLICK WHEN IT GOES SO FAR. I HAVE CLEANED THE SWITCH AND KNOW IT IS NOT THAT. THANKS.

pff1937@q.com
Old 10-24-11, 07:28 PM
sonk76
Driver School Candidate

Strange thing is that I hear a clicking sound coming from somewhere within the driver door when I press the mirror switch to move the mirror up & down. Anyone knows what is causing the sound? I am sure the sound is not coming from the switch itself, which does also makes a slight clicking sound when depressed.
Sorry to bring up old thread. I'm having the exact same symptoms as the original poster. Any updates on how this was resolved? Would love to try and fix myself instead of dropping big cash at dealer...

(yes, I too tried cleaning the switches as well...) my situation is identical to the OP.
Old 10-25-11, 03:13 AM
ttran832
Rookie

Originally Posted by sonk76
Sorry to bring up old thread. I'm having the exact same symptoms as the original poster. Any updates on how this was resolved? Would love to try and fix myself instead of dropping big cash at dealer...

(yes, I too tried cleaning the switches as well...) my situation is identical to the OP.
My suggestion is to go get your battery tested at a NTB or Autozone etc. I replaced a new battery last night. And now, all of my mirror function is working properly now. Cheapest route I.M.O.

Last edited by ttran832; 10-25-11 at 03:25 AM. Reason: More info added
Old 10-25-11, 07:03 AM
sonk76
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ttran832
My suggestion is to go get your battery tested at a NTB or Autozone etc. I replaced a new battery last night. And now, all of my mirror function is working properly now. Cheapest route I.M.O.
The car has brand new battery, replaced last month

Are there any other symptoms that might point to that direction (i.e., that the battery is bad)? While it's a new battery, I suppose it is still possible that something may be wrong with it...
Old 10-26-11, 10:59 PM
new2lexus2
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 99.7% certain it is the mirror drive motors

If it is a connection problem between the relay and the motors in the mirror, how should I fix it? I saw someone else post an interesting post detailing how to take off the mirror and get behind to the motors. Has anyone tried it? Could the up/down motors be bad?
My exact problem I fixed on my passenger side back in early February. I still regret not taking pictures of what I did, See this post:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...ml#post6122679

The mirror is still adjusting just fine, but it is slightly slower than the Drivers side. If it stops, I will take it apart again and re-oil the motor.

I did purchase what looks like exact replacement motors off ebay, but to use them I would need to take the nylon worm gear off the old motor and press it onto the shaft of the new motor...always have that option when the oiling does not help. They are actually listed as door lock motors.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEXUS-DIY-DO...item3f0e7ec248
Old 08-07-15, 01:54 PM
Brown88969
Driver School Candidate

Default Exterior mirrors may need new acutrators

I recently had the same problem where the right and left mirrors stopped working up and down. But the left side mirror would work intermittently. I thought it was the switch, but it turned out to be the mirror actuators were failing. I'll summarize my repair:

First I removed the glass from the right and left side mirrors and did find that the actuators were indeed "bad". When I pressed the mirror switch to the left of the driver, I could hear electrical contact being made but no movement of actuator. Therefore the actuator had to be bad. (there are very good YOUTUBE videos on how to remove the glass from the RX330). Hopefully you can find a video for your model.

I replaced the glass and then ordered through either Ebay or Amazon part numbers (Right Side) 87908-60841 and (Left Side) 87909-60731.

On arrival, I removed the glass once again, and then removed the actuators by backing out 3 phillips head screws and unplugging the wire to the actuator (the 3 screws are easily seen). Then I installed the new actuators to both mirrors and they both worked correctly. The removal and installation of both actuators took about 30 minutes and is very very easy. However, before attempting to remove the glass, do watch a youtube video on this step as you can break the glass.

All you need for the entire repair are a towel ,a flathead screwdriver, and a phillips head screwdriver. If the mirror move in an incorrect direction, simply reverse the wires from the actuator to the motor. These wires are designed to be reversible.

A dealer will want to replace the complete mirror(s) for about 800.00.

The Actuators cost me just over 100.00

Hopefully this is helpful..LB https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ima...lies/smile.gif
Old 10-03-19, 11:06 AM
jpmarcus
Driver School Candidate

Smile Mirror FIX

I believe the problem could be in the mirror motor. I have had the motors go bad on 3 different mirrors in the past 4 years or so. The video below shows how to repair the motors if that is the problem.

Regards,

John

Last edited by jpmarcus; 10-05-19 at 11:18 AM. Reason: typo and update in clarity
Old 10-04-19, 09:21 AM
NetG
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

just because you cleaned the switch doesn't mean the switch is no longer the problem. Mine wouldn't move, so I cleaned the switch but it worked just enough to adjust them to where I wanted...I didn't need to adjust them after that so I'm not going to bother with it.