LS 430 Door Lock Actuator Tutorial

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-15, 11:31 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by rmarti17
Hi everyone,

I have a 2001 Lexus LS430UL that has the easy closer option.

I let my sister borrow my car for about 2 months and she called me saying that she opened the rear passenger door and when she went to close it it would not latch or close.

She brought the car over today and she tied a scarf and rope from the inside of each rear door armrest to prevent the door from opening when driving.

I tried to lubricate the lock, slid a screwdriver inside the door latch to see if it was jammed but it would not lock.

I took disconnected the battery for 30 minutes to see if that would reset it but it did not.

I proceeded to take the door panel out and inspect the latch, cables, actuator and see if anything was binding.

There was a little blue thing under the latch with black plastic that seemed to have broken off. I will attach a picture tomorrow.

When I press the the disarm button i hear motor engaging.

Do you think replacing the actuactor motor will fix this.

I'm also going to try and glue the broken piece back together.

I'm thinking i"m going to need a new latch assembly with the easy closer option.
69330 LOCK ASSY, REAR DOOR, RH Replaced by: 69330-50051 69330-50050

And suggestion or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Originally Posted by flee51
This exact problem happened to my 2001 LS430. I was sending my daughter to the airport. After she pulled the right rear passenger door open she can not close it anymore - the door does not latch. Luckily we have another car to drive her to the airport.

The problem part was a plastic part holding a relay was broken. I fixed the problem by ordering the above described part (69330-50051) - which has a steel replacement part for the old plastic holder) and replacing it. The new Lock Assembly costs about $150. You must carefully remove the relay wiring harness from the old part and reinstall the harness to the new Lock Assembly. There are two little screws holding the relay. They can be easily damaged if not careful. I soaked the relay in paint thinner to losen the glue before I unscrew it.
So after reading all the posts I'm concerned that the actuator might not be my problem with the rear door in my 2004 LS430 UL. I have the same issue as these 2 examples and it seems other have been able to close their doors and / or lock them. Mine won't stay shut. Anyone else experience this? Is this a sign of an actuator or another problem? Thanks again in advance.
Old 02-12-15, 08:21 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

No, I don't believe your problem is the same. The actuator motor only engages the locking mechanism. If your lock works something else is broken.

http://www.lexussouthatlantaparts.co...ssembly=789409

Need to take it out and look to see what is broken.
Old 02-12-15, 10:29 AM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
No, I don't believe your problem is the same. The actuator motor only engages the locking mechanism. If your lock works something else is broken.

http://www.lexussouthatlantaparts.co...ssembly=789409

Need to take it out and look to see what is broken.
Thanks for your response, I thought so.
Old 02-16-15, 08:48 AM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Hey this is a long shot......but maybe your passenger accidentally hit the child lock when exiting your car.........now your door locks wont un lock the door. This may be a long shot but check the child lock position and see if it is on.
Old 02-16-15, 10:54 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jpv7774
Hey this is a long shot......but maybe your passenger accidentally hit the child lock when exiting your car.........now your door locks wont un lock the door. This may be a long shot but check the child lock position and see if it is on.
Yeah that's not it, thanks though!
Old 02-18-15, 08:04 PM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

bummer....I thought I had it figured out...back to the drawing board. How about the white plastic retainer clip that holds the metal rod of the actuator in.......maybe it got brittle and broke.....U just have to open the door panel up and look for something that is out of place or broken plastic....

Good luck
Old 05-01-15, 03:13 PM
Buzzkill75
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this a thread spread out over a few years but I could use some assistance.

I live in northeast Indiana and I am willing to travel a few hours and compensate a person to help me with this actuator. The door panel doesn't scare me but I'm a little scared to mess with the window guides and key lock.

I have a 2004 ls430.

If anyone can help me out shoot me a pm and I'll send you my cellphone number
Old 05-04-15, 03:41 AM
Becker135
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sorry, in Atlanta

You're probably right to ask for help. While I did it on my own, several times, the first time it was a bit tricky. Especially the reassembly, lock alighment, etc. Wish I was closer to you, but give it some time and I expect someone will reach out to you.
Old 05-04-15, 05:41 AM
Buzzkill75
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Becker135
You're probably right to ask for help. While I did it on my own, several times, the first time it was a bit tricky. Especially the reassembly, lock alighment, etc. Wish I was closer to you, but give it some time and I expect someone will reach out to you.
Thanks Becker. I hope someone can help. It's such an old thread I'm worried everyone has moved on to newer cars.
Old 05-15-15, 10:25 AM
ksls430
Driver School Candidate

I changed out the motor in the driver's door and I'm having the issue where when I unlock the door you can hear the motor "grind". Everything else works fine. Can you help? My phone # is 913 530 8581. Thank you!!!
Old 05-18-15, 04:26 AM
Becker135
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It sounds like you didn't seal the actuator tightly enough. Did you read the various posts describing zip ties, etc?
Old 06-23-15, 04:52 AM
hklinker
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm glad to hear that I am not the only one that had this door latch issue happen. I have now replaced three actuator motors and one door latch on my 2005 LS430. The good news is that the little actuator motors can be bought on eBay for about six bucks and the Easy Close latch can be obtained from Lexus of Atlanta South for about $110. What a pain in the *** to install, but you will save hundreds (may be even thousands) of dollars.
Old 06-23-15, 05:07 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

It is a pain... lol. Yes, you save thousands. Lexus charges about $800 easy close models.
Old 06-23-15, 08:07 AM
hklinker
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
It is a pain... lol. Yes, you save thousands. Lexus charges about $800 easy close models.
I was doing a lot out loud while I tried getting the assembly back in the front passenger door... but it wasn't laughing!
Old 06-23-15, 08:19 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by hklinker
I was doing a lot out loud while I tried getting the assembly back in the front passenger door... but it wasn't laughing!
Yes, I totally agree. Getting the first one back in was definitely the hardest part.

Quick Reply: LS 430 Door Lock Actuator Tutorial