LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Considering a LS430, please give me your input!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-10, 06:10 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Considering a LS430, please give me your input!

Hey everyone,
I currently have a 2007 BMW 328i sedan with a 6MT. I love the car, but I think it might be time for a change. I have always liked the 430 a lot and confirmed that by test driving one today. The car I drove was a 2004, pretty basic (no nav), and had 109k miles on it. Despite the high mileage, it drove like a brand new car without squeaks or rattles (felt better than my current 3, no joke). I would be looking for something with lower miles.

Now, I have been reading everywhere online and everyone has had a lot of good things to say. I want to ask everyone here, what do you guys think of your 430s, pros and cons. Also, what are some problem areas? I am not too concerned with electrics (though the Japanese are a whiz at making them reliable), but more so with mechanical items (engine, transmission, etc). The cars I am looking at will be without warranty, I would like to have it around $25k so I don't lose too much from my 3.

One final question, do the 430s with the sport pack have air suspension? I am trying to avoid air suspension as it could mean $$ down the road. The one I'm eyeing is a silver 2005, sport and nav (if someone could tell me what that also comes with that would be much appreciated as well) and 54k miles selling for $26k.

Thanks, I look forward to hearing everyone's input. This seems like a great forum with a lot of good, helpful members!
Old 08-11-10, 06:21 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Right it would probably help more if I posted the link:
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...e&rdpage=thumb

I love the Sport wheels, they looks perfect on an already very pretty car. Thanks in advance of any input
Old 08-11-10, 06:22 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

If you look at reliability reports there are no real glaring problems. The sport suspension does not, not, have air. It comes on the premium pkg and ML pkg. It is not on the CL or UL pkg. UL pkg only has air.

Sport pkg are kinda rare though only a few hundred bucks extra when new.

I drove a 07 328 xi and felt it handled much better than the non sport LS. It should though it is a smaller midsized sedan versus the LS made to be like a hover craft. I have never driven a sport PKG LS.
Old 08-11-10, 06:26 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I will definitely be trading handling for comfort. The 328 makes me want to go faster and faster whereas the LS puts me in a calm relaxed mood. I really only commute from home to college (roughly 60 mi each way) so the best thing to do is relax and cruise. I love how solid it felt. Also like the styling, very attractive and understated.

EDIT: I just wanted to add that I am looking for a comfy cruiser. All I do is commute from one place to another (home to school and back, volunteering at school, etc). I am looking for reliability so I won't have to constantly have the car in a shop and spend extra $$. The basic 430 I drove felt excellent, it handled well enough with decent steering feel and was incredibly stable at any speed without any noise whatsoever.

Last edited by CarGuy89; 08-11-10 at 06:34 PM.
Old 08-11-10, 06:27 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Welcome and keep reading here, especially the FAQ thread for info on the trim levels:

Base - rare, no cooled seats

Premium - cooled seats in front, heated in back, no nav. Can have sport suspension (badge on fender)

Modern luxury: Premium + nav + backup camera + bluetooth (can have sport suspension)

Custom luxury: Modern lux + headlamp washers + power door closers + added leather + laminated side windows + suede headliner

Ultra luxury: Custom lux + air suspension + back seat upgrades

You should be able to find a nice car at that price point. Check the service history by entering the VIN on lexus.com owner section and be assured that engine and transmission problems are rare.

I bought my 05 custom lux with 30.5K for $25.5K sight unseen (after inspection and a local owner looking at it) and had it shipped from Washington State to Michigan in February. It took about $3K to get the dents and scrapes taken care of, but the car still came in under my budget. Enjoy the search.

Where are you located in MI? I'll keep my eyes open for you.
Old 08-11-10, 06:29 PM
kg19989
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep an eye out. I bought an 04 CPO with 65K miles for $19,100 from Lexus of San Antonio. Looked new, drove new. Bought it on the spot. There is nothing about this car I don't love and I think you will get the same from most everyone else here. As WARMINWISC said, only the UL package has the air suspension. You can spot those because they will have a plexi-glass looking frame behind the grill ornament. My LS is pretty basic. No nav (didn't want), no ML system. The ONLY thing I really wish I had that I don't is the leather dash which is standard on the CL and UL packages. Good luck!
Old 08-11-10, 06:32 PM
kg19989
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great post Caddy!! We were all posting at the same time!

Car Guy...Don't get your hopes up about the cooled seats. They aren't that great. Both of my ES' had seats that would give you frost bite but the LS isn't quite the same story.

My kids love the rear heated seats!
Old 08-11-10, 06:33 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

The car at Page Toyota does not appear to be a sport suspension car as it does not have the badges behind the front wheelwells. Also, the sport suspension cars have 18" wheels and those look like 17" from the height of the sidewalls. (But I may be wrong.) It appears to be a modern luxury package.

Also, be sure to check the paint on silver cars very carefully in sunshine. The color is hard to match and these cars frequenty have their bumpers repainted before dealers sell them as used.

Last edited by caddyowner; 08-11-10 at 06:36 PM.
Old 08-11-10, 06:45 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by caddyowner
The car at Page Toyota does not appear to be a sport suspension car as it does not have the badges behind the front wheelwells. Also, the sport suspension cars have 18" wheels and those look like 17" from the height of the sidewalls. (But I may be wrong.) It appears to be a modern luxury package.

Also, be sure to check the paint on silver cars very carefully in sunshine. The color is hard to match and these cars frequenty have their bumpers repainted before dealers sell them as used.
Thanks for your very informative posts! Yeah, I just saw the wheels, doesn't really matter to me if it has the sport suspension or not, I don't plan to drive it hard lol. My family lives in Ann Arbor, MI. I go to school at Michigan State in East Lansing. Where in MI are you?

In addition I would like to thank warminwisc and kg for your inputs! Some very good info.

Thanks!
Old 08-11-10, 06:50 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

I just checked autotrader and cars.com within 150-200 miles of southeast Michigan and there are a number of cars out there in the mid-20s. Just be patient be willing to wait / look at the next car if everything isn't right.

I'm halfway in between - outside Howell. Even our local Chevy dealer had a nice green one recently. BTW, I'll forgive you for being a Spartan.
Old 08-11-10, 06:55 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Just remember, if you plan on driving the car in the winter, it is RWD and will need a good set of winter tires and wheels. I drive I-96 to Lansing every day and it gets very icy.
Old 08-11-10, 06:55 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Good to know! I searched today, the CPO was a bit out of the price range (mid-lower 30s and high 20s). Did you guys choose CPO over non CPO? I understand that while Lexus/Toyota are famous for their reliability, not all of them are problem-free. Is CPO recommended or a must even?
Old 08-11-10, 07:02 PM
chunkyda
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I picked up an 05 ML with everything I wanted including XM radio. It had 65k miles and out of warranty but the dealer in Mobile AL was very helpful in looking up the repair history for me. The car came from South Florida and had some white fufu pet hair in the seat crevices. It rode great and has been a solid commuter for the past 18 months. It now has 94k miles and is still my favorite car ever owned. People think you spent a boatload of money but the choice between what you can get in a new $25k vehicle and a $25k LS to me is a no-brainer. Just make sure to check the repair history, there is plenty of supply so don't get locked on a cream-puff with questionable maintenance.
Old 08-11-10, 07:07 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by caddyowner
I just checked autotrader and cars.com within 150-200 miles of southeast Michigan and there are a number of cars out there in the mid-20s. Just be patient be willing to wait / look at the next car if everything isn't right.

I'm halfway in between - outside Howell. Even our local Chevy dealer had a nice green one recently. BTW, I'll forgive you for being a Spartan.
Lol I just read that. Was born and raised in Ann Arbor. Nice town, but got bored of it and wanted some change. You are a Wolverine I'm assuming?
Old 08-11-10, 07:09 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by chunkyda
I picked up an 05 ML with everything I wanted including XM radio. It had 65k miles and out of warranty but the dealer in Mobile AL was very helpful in looking up the repair history for me. The car came from South Florida and had some white fufu pet hair in the seat crevices. It rode great and has been a solid commuter for the past 18 months. It now has 94k miles and is still my favorite car ever owned. People think you spent a boatload of money but the choice between what you can get in a new $25k vehicle and a $25k LS to me is a no-brainer. Just make sure to check the repair history, there is plenty of supply so don't get locked on a cream-puff with questionable maintenance.
Wow good to hear! I have seriously yet to run into anyone who is disappointed. The BMW forums are full of pages and pages of mechanical failures. I browsed a few and have yet to find any with serious problems! Btw you guys all have very nice looking 430s!

Quick Reply: Considering a LS430, please give me your input!