LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Considering a LS430, please give me your input!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-10, 07:12 PM
chunkyda
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

CPO to me seems like a $5,000 warranty. IMHO, Do your research and skip CPO. Dealer service database is accessible nationwide. Some colors are more desirable (black and white) and command a premium $$. Others not so much, there is "hang around brown" and "puke green" which dealers might be willing to unload cheap just to get them off the lot. To me, the red and blue with gray interior are nice, mine is silver on gray which looks nice too.
Old 08-11-10, 07:13 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

The grandfather in me now has to come out:

While the LS430 is a comfy cruiser for a 120 mile daily commute, it is not the best choice for a college student on a limited budget.

- The car is reliable, but routine maintenance and non-routine repairs are quite expensive, both at the dealer and at some independent garages.

- It probably can run on regular gas, but Lexus says premium, which I run 100% of the time.

- College parking lots are notorious for intentional and unintentional damage to cars - especially larger luxury cars.

A more appropriate car would be something like my winter driver, an AWD Subaru. Or, go see my buddy John Conely in Brighton at www.conelyauto.com and pick up something like a used Chevy Impala and keep your BMW.

That said, I would have loved to drive something like a LS430 to and from college.
Old 08-11-10, 07:15 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Originally Posted by CarGuy89
Lol I just read that. Was born and raised in Ann Arbor. Nice town, but got bored of it and wanted some change. You are a Wolverine I'm assuming?
I used to live in AA in the late 80s / early 90s and have an MBA from U of M.
Old 08-11-10, 07:20 PM
Dailow
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had my LS for a little over a couple of months now. I came over from a 2001 Acura CL, and it's been an interesting change. I'm assuming you already know what the LS is all about, so here are my highlights comparing a 2005 LS430 CL and 2001 Acura CL (base):

Pros:
LS suspension is a lot better - I'm taking speed bumps at a higher speed with less impact than I was in the Acura.

Seats - I didn't think much of the LS seats at first, but the difference is night and day whenever I try going back to the Acura. It usually takes me a day or two to get used to the Acura seats again, and they're just not as comfortable as the LS seats.

Tiptronic transmission -the LS behaves like a true manual transmission, allowing you to up/downshift at will. The Acura implementation automatically downshifted for you, and wouldn't allow you to upshift unless you were going above a certain speed.

Audio - LS wins due to having a subwoofer. Clarity is also a notch above the Acura system, although that doesn't take much. Is it super audiophile quality? No, not really... but it's not that bad for an OEM system.

Bluetooth - My phone automatically connects whenever I turn the LS on. It simply works. I can't ask for much more...

Backup Camera/Park Assist - sometimes I think these make me more of an unskilled driver, but they're definitely useful in helping you back into a stall and determine if you parked straight or not.

Cons:
Onboard navi - I can't say I'm a big fan of the LS navi. A standalone Garmin unit does a better job IMO, and at a cheaper price to boot.

Peripheral field of vision - I find that the B pillar always gets in my way when I'm trying to shoulder check. It's really only a problem if I'm trying to look for traffic from more than one lane over, but it's still a bit annoying. The side mirrors are on the small-ish side too, so you really have to position them far out to the side. This wasn't really a problem with the Acura since the pillar was positioned further back.

HID Lights - this is nitpicking, because I really like how wide they are - the throw is simply just a tad on the short side. It's not a big deal in the city, but on the freeway/highway it could be an issue on a winding road.

Cupholders: This is just nitpicking too, but the front cupholders in the LS get in the way of the shifter. They also don't inspire much confidence since they're really shallow. They're fine for cans, but bottles might tip around. It'd be a lot better if Lexus came out with an optional cupholder box that replaces the ashtray.

It's a bit odd too, but I find that I'm a more aggressive driver in the Acura than I am in the Lexus. I feel a lot more relaxed in the LS (maybe due to the lack of noise!) and am more likely to just mellow out and coast than I am in the Acura.

Anyway, take my impressions for what it's worth. I'm already regretting having to put my LS in storage for a bit while I head out of town for school. Once you settle on all the luxury features, it's hard to go back to a lesser car.
Old 08-11-10, 07:28 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

I sent grandpa to bed:

If you want to drive the snot out of the car and are willing to spend the money needed for routine & non-routine maintenance, I'd do the following:

- look for a car with the premium package (cooled seats, no nav). These cars are not very desireable to many buyers, but they drive the same.

- Skip the CPO warranty, unless you find a great deal. CPO is probably worth it if you have an ultra lux with the air suspension and radar cruise (both expensive fixes)

- Make sure it has a clean service history (no repeated visits for the same problem) and regular routine service visits.

- Have it inspected.

- Buy a Garmin or Tom Tom or learn all the back roads between AA and EL.
Old 08-11-10, 07:34 PM
chunkyda
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice review Dailow. That reminded me of an annoying nit...The Nav defaults to Nav after every switch to something else. For instance, when the park sensor turns on or you shift to reverse and it switches to the camera, it returns to Nav. I'd rather it just went back to the radio and stayed there. I don't need the map when my brain is on autopilot driving around town.
Old 08-11-10, 07:38 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chunkyda
CPO to me seems like a $5,000 warranty. IMHO, Do your research and skip CPO. Dealer service database is accessible nationwide. Some colors are more desirable (black and white) and command a premium $$. Others not so much, there is "hang around brown" and "puke green" which dealers might be willing to unload cheap just to get them off the lot. To me, the red and blue with gray interior are nice, mine is silver on gray which looks nice too.
Silver is my favorite too! I currently have a silver 3 series and love how it hides dirt and shines all the time. Black is nice, but too high maintenance.

Originally Posted by caddyowner
The grandfather in me now has to come out:

While the LS430 is a comfy cruiser for a 120 mile daily commute, it is not the best choice for a college student on a limited budget.

- The car is reliable, but routine maintenance and non-routine repairs are quite expensive, both at the dealer and at some independent garages.

- It probably can run on regular gas, but Lexus says premium, which I run 100% of the time.

- College parking lots are notorious for intentional and unintentional damage to cars - especially larger luxury cars.

A more appropriate car would be something like my winter driver, an AWD Subaru. Or, go see my buddy John Conely in Brighton at www.conelyauto.com and pick up something like a used Chevy Impala and keep your BMW.

That said, I would have loved to drive something like a LS430 to and from college.
Yeah driving a nicer car to college was worrying at first...till I realized what much of the other kids drive (new M3, M5, M6, various AMGs, Maserati, even a GTR ). The 3 series blended in pretty well. I don't show off (no burnouts) and don't drive aggressively on campus (off campus on open country roads it may be a slightly diff story haha). I baby any car that I own, so I always make sure to warm it up with gentle driving and park far away from others. I currently have a parking pass that lets me in a covered garage. You can hang your car over the end spots and no one cares as long as you don't block anyone. As for maintenance costs, I do have a job and some money saved up so I guess it will go to maintaining the car. I always fill my 328 with premium so I am used to the dent it puts in my wallet. Luckily, I don't go out to eat that much and I don't go partying either, so that saves some $.

Originally Posted by Dailow
I've had my LS for a little over a couple of months now. I came over from a 2001 Acura CL, and it's been an interesting change. I'm assuming you already know what the LS is all about, so here are my highlights comparing a 2005 LS430 CL and 2001 Acura CL (base):

Pros:
LS suspension is a lot better - I'm taking speed bumps at a higher speed with less impact than I was in the Acura.

Seats - I didn't think much of the LS seats at first, but the difference is night and day whenever I try going back to the Acura. It usually takes me a day or two to get used to the Acura seats again, and they're just not as comfortable as the LS seats.

Tiptronic transmission -the LS behaves like a true manual transmission, allowing you to up/downshift at will. The Acura implementation automatically downshifted for you, and wouldn't allow you to upshift unless you were going above a certain speed.

Audio - LS wins due to having a subwoofer. Clarity is also a notch above the Acura system, although that doesn't take much. Is it super audiophile quality? No, not really... but it's not that bad for an OEM system.

Bluetooth - My phone automatically connects whenever I turn the LS on. It simply works. I can't ask for much more...

Backup Camera/Park Assist - sometimes I think these make me more of an unskilled driver, but they're definitely useful in helping you back into a stall and determine if you parked straight or not.

Cons:
Onboard navi - I can't say I'm a big fan of the LS navi. A standalone Garmin unit does a better job IMO, and at a cheaper price to boot.

Peripheral field of vision - I find that the B pillar always gets in my way when I'm trying to shoulder check. It's really only a problem if I'm trying to look for traffic from more than one lane over, but it's still a bit annoying. The side mirrors are on the small-ish side too, so you really have to position them far out to the side. This wasn't really a problem with the Acura since the pillar was positioned further back.

HID Lights - this is nitpicking, because I really like how wide they are - the throw is simply just a tad on the short side. It's not a big deal in the city, but on the freeway/highway it could be an issue on a winding road.

Cupholders: This is just nitpicking too, but the front cupholders in the LS get in the way of the shifter. They also don't inspire much confidence since they're really shallow. They're fine for cans, but bottles might tip around. It'd be a lot better if Lexus came out with an optional cupholder box that replaces the ashtray.

It's a bit odd too, but I find that I'm a more aggressive driver in the Acura than I am in the Lexus. I feel a lot more relaxed in the LS (maybe due to the lack of noise!) and am more likely to just mellow out and coast than I am in the Acura.

Anyway, take my impressions for what it's worth. I'm already regretting having to put my LS in storage for a bit while I head out of town for school. Once you settle on all the luxury features, it's hard to go back to a lesser car.
Great review! Yeah I get that same relaxed feeling coming from the 3. Up till I drove the LS I thought all cars had to handle as close to an Exige as possible, but my mind has definitely changed after the LS.

The first car I had was a Lincoln Continental. I was afraid that all lux were like that so I stayed away. Turns out I was completely wrong! The LS is extremely comfortable without feeling like a boat
Old 08-11-10, 09:00 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by aypues
i would defintely expand your search area to find a similarly priced CPO LS. I got my 04 LS ultra with 65k miles for 22k, so I know it can be done. That was in LA though (I live in San Diego). You might need to go to Chicago or something to get a deal.

In regards to the warranty: My power telescoping wasn't working, it just made a squeaking noise. I thought it was covered under the CPO. The motor is covered. The problem was the steering column. The entire steering column had to be replaced, and it was almost 4k. They ended up good willing it to me since I bought it like that, but still, you should get the warranty. These cars are really nice, but they are VERY costly should something need fixing.

I'm in real estate, so I had to have the UL for carting around people, the clients love it. I knew that if something went wrong it would be outrageous. Just make friends with your service writer and buy them Omaha Steaks and they will make some huge bills disappear (if they can, under the warranty, or close to being covered like my steering column)
Wow 4k is very costly! I will be sure to do a ppi on it. I saw a pretty attractive one with 33k miles and extended powertrain warranty. It would ideal to get CPO, I will keep looking for that ultimate deal.
Old 08-11-10, 09:35 PM
kg19989
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good to know! I searched today, the CPO was a bit out of the price range (mid-lower 30s and high 20s). Did you guys choose CPO over non CPO? I understand that while Lexus/Toyota are famous for their reliability, not all of them are problem-free. Is CPO recommended or a must even?
I bought a CPO...
04 Premium with 65K on it. $19,100

Not a must have but it sure is nice having Lexus roll out the red carpet for me!!
Hook 'em!!!!
Old 08-12-10, 07:09 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

what Caddy said - get a Premium base model, and skip CPO if you are sure you can get a good car. It is critical to get one that has been well maintained. Be VERY careful not to get a lemon, a car that's been beat up/driven hard, or a poorly maintained car - or it will cost you serious $.
Old 08-12-10, 07:34 AM
DDLexus
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by kg19989
You can spot those {Ultra Luxury** because they will have a plexi-glass looking frame behind the grill ornament.
Wrong. Actually, the square plexiglass shield was an option on the UL models. Not all ULs have them. It was part of the pre-collision package.

Spotting a UL is a little more difficult. Typically requires you to see the back seat center arm rest (packed with electronics) or the front center console with more buttons left below the CD player (controls for ride height).
Old 08-12-10, 07:53 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

The biggest obstacle I came across searching for an LS430 is the many horrible colors that are out there. Lexus has a habit of manufacturing some really nasty color choices. White, Black, and Silver are more popular and bring higher prices if they are clean and well maintained.

Last edited by Bocatrip; 08-12-10 at 01:03 PM.
Old 08-12-10, 08:28 AM
mewhee
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will keep looking for that ultimate deal.
Good luck in your search, CarGuy. We have 'his and hers' LS430's and are absolutely crazy about them both, especially at the price we paid relative to the showroom prices the original owners doled out. Still costly, but a big, big $ difference and worth every penny.

Just a thought - know you're looking for the ultimate deal but try not to let perfect get in the way of great. There's been several forum members who've procrastinated when they thought a really good deal was available only to find it's been sold out from underneath them while wondering whether to pull the trigger. In other words, the truly great deals are quick movers and timing can be an important factor in your search. More than likely, you'll know when the "right deal" for you presents itself.

Good driving -

Will and the Fur Crew in the OC

Last edited by mewhee; 08-12-10 at 09:04 AM.
Old 08-12-10, 09:28 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

My unscientific color distribution research from when I was shopping:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...tribution.html
Old 08-12-10, 10:21 AM
DDLexus
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
Lexus has a habit of manufacturing some really nasty color choices.
Colors didn't seem to bad to me?
Attached Thumbnails Considering a LS430, please give me your input!-2005ls430_model_colors.jpg  

Quick Reply: Considering a LS430, please give me your input!