Parking brake handle/cover changing color

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-10, 01:14 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Flame on...

Originally Posted by mewhee
.. Why the brake handle has to be flame resistant is a mystery, at least to me.

Will and the Furry Ones
Yeah, not like if your car is on fire your first thought is going to be releasing the emergency brake...

I'm sure the same chemical reaction might be occuring, but I'm sure it's not because the fire retarding properties was Toyota's thought for it.
Old 08-12-10, 02:43 PM
beneteau
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

During the molding process of plastic components, one of the main ingredients of the raw plastic material is a UV inhibitor. This inhibitor or UV stabilizer lessens the fading effects of harmful UV rays from the sun on the "colors" of various plastics and paints. A strong possibility is that your particular release handle, along with hundreds of others in the "same batch", may have been molded with a lesser amount of UV inhibitor than what may have been required or needed. The UV rays from the sun are extremely harmful to just about everything "man-made".
Old 06-08-13, 10:47 AM
yibuy4n
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine (2004 LS) has gone from "grey" to a almost greenish color. I just had my door pulls and the console cover recovered with fresh leather, and now the discoloration is *really* obvious.

-jr
Old 06-09-13, 10:36 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

A year ago or so I went through the chemical process of trying to restore to the original color (which required removal of the handle from the car). While the color could be lightened, I found that it was almost impossible to get the original color. Mine actually bleached to a color that was too light! You would have to monitor the process almost constantly over a period of several hours to get the correct color. I couldn't do that because the car was in the dealership as they removed the handle for me. They worked with me on this, as they were interested in seeing how this experiment would work out.

Here's the solution I used and highly recommend. Take the face off the coin try and take it to Home Depot or paint store and have them color match a sample in flat premium latex paint. You can then pull the brake handle to the "release" position, secure in position with tape, and then paint the handle with a small artist brush. When finished, you won't be able to even detect a color difference and it won't fade and change color.

I know it sounds stupid to suggest that you actually paint part of your interior, but give it a try.

Here's yet another usage of the color matched paint sample. My driver's seat leather panel closed to the door, is starting to show some wear and the wrinkles have lost their color. I actually painted that panel! I brushed a small are and them almost immediately wiped it with a paper towel. When I finished, the panel looked just like the rest of the seat. That seat has looked good for about 3 months, but is beginning to show the wrinkles again. I can repaint as it's quick and easy, but would rather have something more permanent. I have ordered a leather stain which comes with a spray applicator. That will be more difficult as it will be necessary to either remove the seat or make everything off and apply in the car. But, first I will test the color on some leather samples to make sure it will match in color. Then I will decide what to do.

A word of caution. When you tell someone you have painted your seats in a UL they will think you are crazy!

Last edited by jayclapp; 06-09-13 at 10:41 AM.
Old 06-09-13, 12:01 PM
ls430lover
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

all the ls430 parking brake have a different color i have grey interior with redish wood and the brake is a brown
i noticed it on all the ls430 i looked at its normal not a discoloration
Old 06-09-13, 05:53 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by ls430lover
all the ls430 parking brake have a different color i have grey interior with redish wood and the brake is a brown
i noticed it on all the ls430 i looked at its normal not a discoloration
I have a UL with ecru interior. The barking brake handle is the same color as the rest of the dash in that area and that color is ecru and matches the seat leather. The bark handle discolors due to UV rays, just as the early computer cases did (think early Macs). My dealer actually did not want to replace my handle because he knew they all discolored and the ones he ordered were already discolored.

The yellowing discoloration, looked completely out of place with the rest of the dash and interior. I don't know about the interior colors of other cars. Are you saying that only the ecru interior had a brake handle that had a discoloration problem? If so, sorry about the confusion.

Regardless, is the brake handle is a different color that the coin tray above it and the surrounding dash area, then I suggest painting it to match.
Old 06-11-13, 02:28 PM
Gene01
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I just checked mine today - it has a black (very dark gray) interior.
The parking brake release cover & coin tray cover are exactly the same color as the other plastic pieces under white (incandescant) flashlight, LED (bluish) flashlight and diffuse daylight.
The car does spend all its time in the garage when not being driven.
Old 06-11-13, 10:51 PM
tjmangum
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2005 ultra that I bought new and the parking brake handle has been going yellow for several years now. Interesting solutions here.
Thanks!
Terry