LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

60K service---Lexus vs. Toyota

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-10, 01:55 PM
beneteau
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 60K service---Lexus vs. Toyota

I know this has been discussed before; but, this is my recent experience. Had to have some warranty work performed on the wife's 2005 ML at Lexus of Memphis. While I was there, I asked for the charge for their 60K service. Quote: $ 1,466.00

A couple of days ago I took it to Performance Toyota and had the 60K service performed by them. They, also, recommended that I have the "injectors" cleaned (not included in the scheduled 60K service) and so, I did. Since she purchased the car, in April, from Performance Toyota, the oil/filter change was free. The 60K service, including cleaning the injectors, was $ 494.00.

When they (Performance Toyota) rotated/balanced the tires, they discovered the wheel lock "key" was missing. They ordered a new one at "no charge". Manager said the missing "key" should have been discovered and replaced when the car was inspected prior to placing it on the lot to sell.

Quite a bit of cost difference for the same service.
Old 06-19-10, 06:19 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Apples to apples

Originally Posted by beneteau
... at Lexus of Memphis. While I was there, I asked for the charge for their 60K service. Quote: $ 1,466.00

... Performance Toyota and had the 60K service performed by them. ... The 60K service, including cleaning the injectors, was $ 494.00.
Wow, I know there is a price difference, but did not think it was this extreme. Are we comparing the same apple to apple items and service? Did Lexus quote their "dealer 60K" service, while Toyota did it by the book? When I did my 60K at Lexus on my RX, they did all fluids (oil, trans, brakes), timing belt, and a few other items and it was like $1600 (this was a few years back), so they did a lot more than what the manual calls for at 60K.

If it's the same item to item, then glad Toyota was able to do the service for you. Same parts anyway...
Old 06-19-10, 07:49 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

This appears to vary greatly by the dealer and circumstances. For instance, I recently had my 60,000 mile service done by my dealer for $226. But, I had purchased Lexus filters for the Engine, a/c cabin filter and rear a/c filter (UL) for $120 from them and installed myself. I also had the tires balenced and rotated by Costco for no cost. Consequently my dealer only had to change the oil/filter (Mobile 2), change the brake fluid, and conduct the 30 point inspection. Also they gave me an RX400h as a free loaner while they did this.

They did notw that the a/c might need future attention on the 30 point inspection but didn't recomment any immediate attention. A few days later I took it back in as it seemed the a/c intermittentanly failed to cool down. They again gave me a loaner, flushed the frenon and recharged and charged me nothing.

I really think my dealer is treating me properly because they know that nobody else touchs my car (with the exception of tires) except them. I also have a platinum extended warranty.

How could I have any complaints about this kind of service and charges?
Old 06-19-10, 08:28 PM
GLIDESUL
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Toyota lexus all the same. Purchased mine from toyota dealer and they did my timimg and water pump for way less then lexus dealer. Plus they give me oil changes for as long as I have the car at least payment wise.
Old 06-19-10, 11:18 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by jayclapp
I recently had my 60,000 mile service done by my dealer for $226.. ..my dealer only had to change the oil/filter (Mobile 2), change the brake fluid, and conduct the 30 point inspection. Also they gave me an RX400h as a free loaner while they did this.

They did notw that the a/c might need future attention on the 30 point inspection but didn't recomment any immediate attention. A few days later I took it back in as it seemed the a/c intermittentanly failed to cool down. They again gave me a loaner, flushed the frenon and recharged and charged me nothing.

I really think my dealer is treating me properly because they know that nobody else touchs my car (with the exception of tires) except them. I also have a platinum extended warranty.

Are you viewing your dealership with glasses made w/Lexus glass..lol?

Your dealer doesn't give a crap if anyone else services or "touches" your car or not. Bottom line is you will pay for services rendered.

Personally, I would not have taken the car back from them, when they say they "think" there may be a problem with the A/C? Is there a problem OR NOT? The fact of that matter was that there most certainly WAS a problem and they were leaving it up to you whether you'd notice it and complain again, or not.

Additionally, you were INCONVENIENCED in taking your car back to the dealer, yet again. I believe you said you're retired, but I personally cannot go to the dealer 2x a week. Or did they pick you up from your house in a limo and flatbed the LS to the dealer? Even if I WAS retired, the last place I'd look forward to hanging out is in the service bay at the Lexus dealer.

Since you have this "platinum" warranty, they probably HAVE TO do whatever is necessary to fix your car. Your dealer isn't "giving" you a thing.

In essence, you ended up sinking $226 for an oil change & brake oil. That isn't exactly a deal. (It's even LESS of a deal if you took your own oil & filter to them.) Well, it IS a deal......(for the dealership...lol.)

Lastly, I think EVERY LS owner gets a loaner from the dealer.

Where and how is your dealer going above and beyond?

Last edited by LS430inDE.; 06-20-10 at 06:38 PM.
Old 06-20-10, 08:51 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Wasn't trying to upset anyone. Was just responding to the original message that said he got a quote of $1,466 for the 60K service. I was just showing that doesn't always have to be the case.

My service followed the Lexus requirements for the 60K service to insure compliance for warranty purposes.

As long as I'm happy with this, why should anyone else care?
Old 06-20-10, 07:27 PM
jay33
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wasn't trying to upset anyone. Was just responding to the original message that said he got a quote of $1,466 for the 60K service. I was just showing that doesn't always have to be the case.

My service followed the Lexus requirements for the 60K service to insure compliance for warranty purposes.

As long as I'm happy with this, why should anyone else care?
Exactly, couldn't agree with you more. Some people tend to get carried away on the site for no reason whatsoever.
Old 06-20-10, 07:49 PM
LexFather

This appears to vary greatly by the dealer and circumstances. For instance, I recently had my 60,000 mile service done by my dealer for $226. But, I had purchased Lexus filters for the Engine, a/c cabin filter and rear a/c filter (UL) for $120 from them and installed myself. I also had the tires balenced and rotated by Costco for no cost. Consequently my dealer only had to change the oil/filter (Mobile 2), change the brake fluid, and conduct the 30 point inspection. Also they gave me an RX400h as a free loaner while they did this.

You are smart and we do the same. We have a great relationship with our dealership and all the cars get serviced by Lexus. I've found that going to the dealer is CHEAPER period. You think you are saving a buck or two taking it elsewhere but if anything happens to your Lexus, take it to Toyota or an independent dealer and see what happens. You have to pay again.

The dealerships are no dummies. They know who buys the cars from them and who services with them. They then extend extra courtesies to these people. I've had things covered after warranty and prices lowered based on having a great relationship.

Also the dealer has different tiers of major service, I believe 3...one covers everything, one covers most and the cheapest covers the bare minimum.

As someone stated you can save some $$$$ bringing your own parts.
Old 06-22-10, 07:25 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

Did the Toyota dealer stamp your book for the 60,000 mile service or do they have to give you an invoice because they are not Lexus? I would like to be seeing all the items that were performed on the invoice.