LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Where to place decal on front windshield?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-10, 08:42 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Default Where to place decal on front windshield?

I recently registered the LS with DoD at my base. Part of the registration process is placing a 2"x3" (height x length) registration sticker on the front windshield.

I am supposed to mount it either at the top-center of the windshield or bottom corner-drivers side of the windshield.

My question is....at top-center, the decal covers the area where I believe the rain sensor is? Is the rain sensor located in that top-center area of the windshield? If a metalized-reflective sticker is placed there, and covering it, will this affect the rain sensing ability of the automatic wipers?

The bottom corner (drivers side) is just an ugly placement to me. It makes the car appear lopsided when viewing the car from the front. The VIN is there in the corner also. If I place the decal above the VIN, it looks waaaay too high and even uglier! Under the VIN and it's almost too low for the gate guard-MP's to see easily.

Also, regarding placement at the top-center is....the FABULOUS wipers (made for non-snow states) will swipe over it..and that will annoy me also.

I will upload pics in the next day or 2.

Suggestions?

Last edited by LS430inDE.; 04-12-10 at 08:45 PM.
Old 04-12-10, 10:53 PM
SteveM
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have my temporary transport registration document (almost exact dimensions to your sticker) still affixed in the lower left hand corner of my windshield and I don't even notice it. Once it's there you forget about it.

I know that is different from on the driver's side and possibly lower down too but I think it may be less obtrusive of view and less noticeable than the top centre. Top centre seems to be most noticeable to me. Just IMO.

Plus if the guard gate is the way it is in movies, (driver side building) they will find it convenient to look at the driver side

Not sure about where the rain sensor is though.
Old 04-13-10, 04:12 AM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, the rain sensor is in the top center, so you can't cover that up or the sensor will wipe crazy, or you can't use the auto function.

I would place the sticker on lower corner by driver's side, next to your existing sticker, not above it. Although, that would probably still be whacky for you.
Old 04-13-10, 08:52 AM
ayonnebay
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LS430inDE.
I am supposed to mount it either at the top-center of the windshield or bottom corner-drivers side of the windshield.

I believe the DoD regs require it to be top center of windshield, and that the instructions are pretty specific, IIRC. That being said, that's where I put the DoD sticker on the wife's LS, and the wipers go faster when set to auto (sensor) mode.

Walt
Old 04-13-10, 09:14 AM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Light sensor

Originally Posted by ayonnebay
I believe the DoD regs require it to be top center of windshield, and that the instructions are pretty specific, IIRC. That being said, that's where I put the DoD sticker on the wife's LS, and the wipers go faster when set to auto (sensor) mode.

Walt
Exactly, it won't stop working, it will just think that there is rain and it will wipe on high. I think the way the sensor works is that it's detecting light reflection off the glass, not that there is actually "rain." It could be bird poop and it would wipe.
Old 04-13-10, 05:40 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Walt
Walt....at Dover AFB, we actually have the option to mount it top-center or bottom corner-drivers side. I think I'm leaning towards the drivers side bottom corner. I don't want my wipers going nuts.

Last edited by LS430inDE.; 04-13-10 at 05:46 PM.
Old 04-13-10, 05:45 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
Yes, the rain sensor is in the top center, so you can't cover that up or the sensor will wipe crazy, or you can't use the auto function.

I would place the sticker on lower corner by driver's side, next to your existing sticker, not above it. Although, that would probably still be whacky for you.
Hey Mike. I think I will probably do that..although in Delaware, we don't have any ugly DMV stickers on the windshield like 75% of the USA. We just have an (inspection) sticker on the license plate.

I think I will post it above or below the VIN. On most of the bases, they make you come to a complete stop, and make you present your ID card, regardless if you have a DoD sticker on the windshield. Another way Sept. 11th changed everything...
Old 04-13-10, 06:25 PM
ayonnebay
Lead Lap

Walt....at Dover AFB, we actually have the option to mount it top-center or bottom corner-drivers side. I think I'm leaning towards the drivers side bottom corner. I don't want my wipers going nuts.
The windshield thing soon going to be academic here at Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst. Each car now has its own ID card as does each person. When you pull up, you hand them both cards (Of course, it isn't a "photo" ID for the car).

So, the sticker will be coming off, as they will no longer be required. I thought that would be a step backwards in security, but they say it is well thought out. I believe the Air Force is now responsible for the operation of the Joint Base (not sitting well with the Army & Navy, I'm sure).

Walt
Old 04-13-10, 06:36 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

The windshield thing soon going to be academic here at Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst. Each car now has its own ID card as does each person. When you pull up, you hand them both cards (Of course, it isn't a "photo" ID for the car).

So, the sticker will be coming off, as they will no longer be required. I thought that would be a step backwards in security, but they say it is well thought out. I believe the Air Force is now responsible for the operation of the Joint Base (not sitting well with the Army & Navy, I'm sure).

Walt
Hmm...that's really interesting. At Dover, there is NO requirement for the car, at all! It's only an ID check for the driver, and you're on.

I got stickers because I know OTHER bases require them, so I wanted to have as many bases covered...no pun intended..lol.

I would think that ID card-for-the-car-concept was specific to McGuire/Dix, because I JUST got my sticker this weekend. Dover usually has the latest/greatest toys & technology, so I'd think they would have advised me during my vehicle registration process. McGuire/Dix is a pretty beat-up base..sorta like your i-295..lol!

I'd bet that ID card-for-the-car-concept is specific to that base. I guess time will tell...
Old 04-13-10, 06:58 PM
ayonnebay
Lead Lap

Hmm...that's really interesting. At Dover, there is NO requirement for the car, at all! It's only an ID check for the driver, and you're on.

Just to make it clear - This is for civilian vehicles/employees. Don't know yet if the procedure is different for active military/NG/Reserve, etc.
Old 04-13-10, 07:33 PM
Ay-nako
Stop the Copy!

Received 112 Likes on 52 Posts

do bottom left (driver-side) thats where alot of the guys have it at!
Old 04-14-10, 07:35 AM
GeorgeT
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would place it off-center at the top. If questioned, explain the reason or tell them that your wife did it and she was too short to reach the center.
Old 04-14-10, 09:14 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Ay-nako
do bottom left (driver-side) thats where alot of the guys have it at!
Ditto.....