LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Painting Satellite Antenna

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-10, 02:47 PM
ayonnebay
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Painting Satellite Antenna

I've installed my Vaistech Sirius but still have to hide the boxes in the glove compartment and decide where I want to finally place the antenna. I now have it on the roof, in the front, on the passenger side. Works fine, but I'm not sure I want to keep it there - looks like crap.

Anyhow, aside from the location, I'd really like it to be the same color as the car (MM). Has anyone painted theirs ? I'd like to paint the antenna tail also (that's plastic - hope paint will adhere). Does anyone know if Lexus sells touch-up in spray cans ?

Walt
Old 02-09-10, 03:02 PM
miniz
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You can paint it. You need to sand it really well, then blast it with lots of compressed air, use pre-prep paint cleaner, then spray it, clear coat it, and let it dry. If you don't want it to be visible from the exterior of the car, close your sunroof sun shield and sit it on the back of the shield. Hide the wire under the headliner and run it down to your receiver in a nice unseen fashion. It will see the satellite though the sunroof glass just fine. I never open my sunroof, so this solution works great.
Old 02-09-10, 07:54 PM
ayonnebay
Lead Lap

Interesting idea about the sunroof location, but I just know I'd press that open button (or my wife would). I use the roof once in a while .....

I may leave it where it is on the passenger side roof, as that's the easiest location for a lazy installer like me, or I may re-locate it to the center of the trunk lid. That would require greater effort running the wire there, though.

Thanks for the info on painting, too.

Walt
Old 02-10-10, 05:32 AM
CG lover
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine has been on the center of the trunk lid since the car was purchased,, yes it is black and looks fine,, never thought about getting it painted,, Hmmmm

Derry
Old 03-10-10, 11:33 AM
kg19989
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am installing today and ordered my paint from Lexus to paint it. Not sure how the black antenna will look on my gleaming white deck lid. Thanks for the painting tips. I would have just brushed it on!
Old 03-10-10, 11:39 AM
honeygee2
Pole Position

I dont know what size your antenna is but mine is about 1 1/4 inch square. I mounted mine on top of the dashboard right up against the windshield. The wire I ran down by the door jamb behind the plastic, under the dash and into the center console where the receiver is located. Works great and it doesnt give away the idea of a satellite receive being in the car.
Old 03-10-10, 12:02 PM
ayonnebay
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by honeygee2
I dont know what size your antenna is but mine is about 1 1/4 inch square. I mounted mine on top of the dashboard right up against the windshield. The wire I ran down by the door jamb behind the plastic, under the dash and into the center console where the receiver is located. Works great and it doesnt give away the idea of a satellite receive being in the car.

Yeah, I have the same antenna. Having it on the roof has not been good - even before I painted it, as I get 1/2 second dropouts pretty frequently. If it's that bad outside, I suppose it would be worse inside. I'm going to try the Dot Micro antenna, which is a larger, round one.

As for painting the antenna, that went well. Painting it had no bad effects. Reception is exactly the same as before. Got the prep, paint, & clearcoat from a place in NOLA ( http://www.automotivetouchup.com/directions.htm ) and they have great stuff. Now, however, I'll have to do it all over again with the new antenna, when I get it.

Walt
Attached Thumbnails Painting Satellite Antenna-siriusant.jpg  

Last edited by ayonnebay; 03-10-10 at 12:41 PM.
Old 03-10-10, 01:03 PM
DNC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was not able to live with the look of the external antenna so I placed it on top of the interior rear brake light. I hated the after thought look just as I hate that little rubber antenna on top of the car.
Old 03-10-10, 01:39 PM
ayonnebay
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DNC
I hate that little rubber antenna on top of the car.
I still can't believe no one (even Lexus) has made a kit to convert that rubber antenna to a shark fin (even a painted bump) to serve as a Sirius antenna.
Old 03-10-10, 01:48 PM
DNC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ayonnebay
I still can't believe no one (even Lexus) has made a kit to convert that rubber antenna to a shark fin (even a painted bump) to serve as a Sirius antenna.
All the time, money, and effort that went into designing the LS430 was trashed with the appearance of that tacky little rubber after thought antenna. I know some Lexus designers were steaming.
Old 03-10-10, 02:01 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My antenna isn't near as noticeable as some of these. I have mine wire up through the sunroof. The antenna sits right on the edge of the glass. I'll get some pictures and post them.
Old 03-10-10, 02:08 PM
honeygee2
Pole Position

Yeah, I have the same antenna. Having it on the roof has not been good - even before I painted it, as I get 1/2 second dropouts pretty frequently. If it's that bad outside, I suppose it would be worse inside. I'm going to try the Dot Micro antenna, which is a larger, round one.

As for painting the antenna, that went well. Painting it had no bad effects. Reception is exactly the same as before. Got the prep, paint, & clearcoat from a place in NOLA ( http://www.automotivetouchup.com/directions.htm ) and they have great stuff. Now, however, I'll have to do it all over again with the new antenna, when I get it.

Walt
Yep thats the same antenna...I took the rubber part and jammed it down between the windshield and the dash so the antenna stays put. I have absolutely no reception problem with it there. Remember in certain areas with a heavy tree area everytime you go under a bunch you will probably lose the signal..same as an underpass. I have mine on the far right side of the dash and can barely see it while driving.
Old 03-10-10, 07:07 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Hey Walt.......I'm pretty sure there are a couple aftermarket antenna companies that will turn the rubber ducky antenna to a shark-like fin. There is a thread or 2 on here. I believe the discussion was related to the defunct Homelink system. You may want to search the keyword Homelink.

However, I don't believe members were talking about converting the antenna to a satellite antenna. I think it was mostly a conversion for cosmetics, not functionality.