LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Tail Light Failure

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-10, 08:32 PM
afshin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tail Light Failure

I just got a 2001 LS 430 with low miles. Shortly after I got it, the "Tail light failure" indicator came on. I looked and noticed the bottom right tail light was out. During inspection and oil change I had the mechanic replace that light.

Now light works but the indicator is still on. I've checked the rest of the lights and they all seem to be working.

Why do I get this indicator? Could it be because the new bulb is not correct?
Old 01-24-10, 08:55 PM
Swagga82
Pole Position

Originally Posted by afshin
I just got a 2001 LS 430 with low miles. Shortly after I got it, the "Tail light failure" indicator came on. I looked and noticed the bottom right tail light was out. During inspection and oil change I had the mechanic replace that light.

Now light works but the indicator is still on. I've checked the rest of the lights and they all seem to be working.

Why do I get this indicator? Could it be because the new bulb is not correct?
i had the same problem but its just the bulb is not pulling correct power which causes it to read taillight faillure but go to the dealer and get the correct bulb and u will be just fine
Old 01-25-10, 06:06 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I have an early bulb indicator system on my Allante and it is sensitive to what type of base is on the bulb: tin v. brass. New bulbs with tin (silver) bases can result in the bulb out indicator to still be lit. Also, tin based bulbs tend to run hotter and, on the Allante, can melt the sockets. Something I don't want to do on an older limited production car where a replacement taillight unit runs $500+.

As previously suggested, source a bulb from the dealer or at least buy one with the same base metal.
Old 01-26-10, 07:03 PM
TurboTodd
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

As odd as it sounds, take a walk around the back of the car and lightly tap on the tail-light lens. I have one from time to time, no matter how the factory bulb is seated, sometimes lights the dash light. I step back, tap it once, and the light goes out.
Old 01-28-10, 07:25 PM
afshin
Driver School Candidate

Default fixed the problem

The light was not seated properly. The light was working fine but when I pushed it in all the way, the "Tail light failure" was gone.
Old 08-13-10, 10:36 AM
Desarae
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Taillight Failure.

I had the same thing happen to me. My 2000 LS400 instrument panel annunciator said tail light failure. A mechanic at work said he would repair the problem. I put my foot on the brake petal, and he noticed that one of the lamps in the third stop light / high mount stop light was not working. He poped the trunk and looked for the bottom of the assembly and could not find it. I came to this website
Club Lexus
and found pictures showing how to remove the assembly and replace the bulbs, both were going to be replaced due to the assembly being removed. The guy at work put two new bulbs in, both lights worked, and the tail light failure message went away until I put my foot on the brake petal to put the car in park. The lights still worked but the annunciator came up again with tail light failure. I came back to this site again and did some more research and learned that the bulb has to be a certain wattage or it will still send a fault to the cars computer. I stopped by a name brand auto part store and bought a 2 pack of Sylvania 921 LL light bulbs. The guy at the store put the lights in for me and I again put my foot on the brake petal and the failure message did not come back on. It's kind of funny how a small thing such as wattage dosen't matter with a light bulb in the house, but it matters to a car. Also I am thankful I did not have to take my car to the dealer and shell out a lot of money for the $2.00 it cost me at the store.

Last edited by Desarae; 10-05-10 at 05:43 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-05-10, 05:12 AM
damon
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

All lights function but still have the warning light on a 2001. I will try the remedies listed above.
Old 07-14-12, 05:47 PM
PhlMartn
Driver School Candidate

I had the same problem. The lights in the 3rd brake light were working, but looked very darkened. I just replaced the bulbs.....after 8 months of frustration...all lights were working...and to my surprise, the indicator FINALLY went off. Who knew...replace working lights.

Better than the dealer wanting to "trace" the electrical system for big bucks. Cost me less than $5.