LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

01 LS430 O2 sensor bank 2 per cat

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-09, 10:14 PM
TubbyGs430
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 LS430 O2 sensor bank 2 per cat

so i have a check engine light on and my vsc light is on, any way the car has 86,995k wanted some info on which O2 to use and how hard is it to do it your self or bring it to my mechanic? i had the code pulled and he told me bank2 percat sensor, sensor 1? also if you have a good brand to recommend me and how much? thank you for your help i'll post pictures of my ride real soon
Old 11-17-09, 05:43 AM
toantran99
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

I would stick with OEM.
Old 11-21-09, 03:40 PM
TubbyGs430
Driver

OEM sounds good to me but has anyone every change there? if so please let me know how hard it is? thank you
Old 11-25-09, 09:49 PM
TubbyGs430
Driver

im shopping around online and i wanted to see if anyone has a good website for parts for a great price ?
Old 11-26-09, 01:32 PM
audphile1
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought Denso from rockauto.com which is essentially the same sensor you would get from Lexus, but at much better price.

I replaced both pre cat sensors on my 01 LS430.

I used 2 ramps to drive the car onto, oxygen sensor socket I bought from autozone and a tilting ratchet to have more angle capabilities. Driver side(which I believe is bank 1) is a biatch to change as there is almost no access to the connector.

Once you have the car on ramps or jack stands, disconnect your battery prior to working on the car.

You will need to take the plastic cover off from the bottom of the car. I recommend using cordless drill with screwdriver head unless you want to unscrew all those screws by hand.

Driver side: the connector is right behind the heatshield. You have to bend the heatshiled a little to get to the connector with a flat, thin screwdriver or angled pick(have various ones at your disposal including the angled pick you can get at home depot or tool store, but remember it has to be thin to get there so have verious screwdrivers and whatever else you have that can reach there). This is the most difficult one to do.

Passanger side, which I think is your problem, is way easier to do and is a piece of cake to replace.

Both sensors on my car came out pretty easy with a light application of WD40 for 10-15 minutes. New sesnors come with grease for the tread so don't forget to use it. Have also a piece of pipe in case the racthet you're using does not have a long enough handle, just to give you some extra leverage.

The Denso sensors I am talking about are a direct fit, no wire clipping required. They're just like the originals.

Make sure the car is secure on the ramps or jack stands whatever you prefer to use, because you will be putting some force on those sensors to remove them and you don't want to car crushing on top of you.

Once you're done and connect your battery, the check engine light should go out when it reads the data from new sensor(s). Your VSC light, however, will need to be reset manually.

Here is how you reset the VSC on 2001 LS430(courtesy of Speedemon and FYOUNES):
you'll need to get something to jumper between 2 pins on the obdc connector under the dash, the TS and CG pins (see picture courtesy of FYOUNES).

Igntion off, jump the 2 pins, turn ignition on, don't start, wait until the vsc test comes up in the display, turn ignition off, pull jumper, start car, go for a ride.

I used a paper clip to jump the 2 connectors and reset tghe VSC OFF CHECK VSC error message.

Good luck and be safe!
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
obdc.bmp (57.7 KB, 700 views)
Old 11-26-09, 07:03 PM
TubbyGs430
Driver

Originally Posted by audphile1
I bought Denso from rockauto.com which is essentially the same sensor you would get from Lexus, but at much better price.

I replaced both pre cat sensors on my 01 LS430.

I used 2 ramps to drive the car onto, oxygen sensor socket I bought from autozone and a tilting ratchet to have more angle capabilities. Driver side(which I believe is bank 1) is a biatch to change as there is almost no access to the connector.

Once you have the car on ramps or jack stands, disconnect your battery prior to working on the car.

You will need to take the plastic cover off from the bottom of the car. I recommend using cordless drill with screwdriver head unless you want to unscrew all those screws by hand.

Driver side: the connector is right behind the heatshield. You have to bend the heatshiled a little to get to the connector with a flat, thin screwdriver or angled pick(have various ones at your disposal including the angled pick you can get at home depot or tool store, but remember it has to be thin to get there so have verious screwdrivers and whatever else you have that can reach there). This is the most difficult one to do.

Passanger side, which I think is your problem, is way easier to do and is a piece of cake to replace.

Both sensors on my car came out pretty easy with a light application of WD40 for 10-15 minutes. New sesnors come with grease for the tread so don't forget to use it. Have also a piece of pipe in case the racthet you're using does not have a long enough handle, just to give you some extra leverage.

The Denso sensors I am talking about are a direct fit, no wire clipping required. They're just like the originals.

Make sure the car is secure on the ramps or jack stands whatever you prefer to use, because you will be putting some force on those sensors to remove them and you don't want to car crushing on top of you.

Once you're done and connect your battery, the check engine light should go out when it reads the data from new sensor(s). Your VSC light, however, will need to be reset manually.

Here is how you reset the VSC on 2001 LS430(courtesy of Speedemon and FYOUNES):
you'll need to get something to jumper between 2 pins on the obdc connector under the dash, the TS and CG pins (see picture courtesy of FYOUNES).

Igntion off, jump the 2 pins, turn ignition on, don't start, wait until the vsc test comes up in the display, turn ignition off, pull jumper, start car, go for a ride.

I used a paper clip to jump the 2 connectors and reset tghe VSC OFF CHECK VSC error message.

Good luck and be safe!

thank you so much for the info everything you worte it is really helpful. i seen rockauto.com but i didnt trust there website dont know why. but thank you very much for the info going to go on there website and find the sensor
Old 11-26-09, 09:36 PM
audphile1
Pole Position

rockauto is no problem. fast shipping and sensors were genuine and brand new in boxes.
Their price for the sensors is much better than any local auto parts store could offer me.

if you get to it, let us know how it works out.
Old 12-02-09, 03:46 AM
Joe Cat
Driver

I have the same problem- the Passenger side exhust manifold 02 sensor- triggered the chckengine light _ Only 60k miles- I went to autozone and they read the code-

They have Bosch and they said this is a common problem for lexus- 02 ls430 anyhow they wanted $205.00 I went to fleabay and they had the same part - Item number: 250489577344 for 93.00 shipped - Yes let us know how it works out for you - Especially that passenger side- Geese if you were closer - we could make it a party- Ill get a keg and you bring the babes............No honey i was doing the taxes... yes honey .. i will throw out the garbage now... bye guys.
Old 12-13-09, 11:06 AM
TubbyGs430
Driver

Originally Posted by Joe Cat
I have the same problem- the Passenger side exhust manifold 02 sensor- triggered the chckengine light _ Only 60k miles- I went to autozone and they read the code-

They have Bosch and they said this is a common problem for lexus- 02 ls430 anyhow they wanted $205.00 I went to fleabay and they had the same part - Item number: 250489577344 for 93.00 shipped - Yes let us know how it works out for you - Especially that passenger side- Geese if you were closer - we could make it a party- Ill get a keg and you bring the babes............No honey i was doing the taxes... yes honey .. i will throw out the garbage now... bye guys.

Lol still haven't got my o2 from eBay the guy sent it first class but he Mailed it out on a Saturday so it should be here tomorrow or Tuesday the lates anyway if the weather let's I'll do it myself but if it's to cold then going to my shop to have put it in