LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Floormats

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-09, 08:22 AM
DaytonaSTi
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know if Lexus pulled all their all-weather mats? Sewell and Lexus Parts Online show them as discontinued. I don't mean the clear ones.
Old 11-18-09, 12:14 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

To keep my mats in good condition all i do is leave the drivers mats flipped over most of the time and flip the others over when i have company. You'll have a blacked-out floor but it does help save your mats.
Old 11-18-09, 12:19 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,312 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Originally Posted by Slvr surfr
To keep my mats in good condition all i do is leave the drivers mats flipped over most of the time and flip the others over when i have company. You'll have a blacked-out floor but it does help save your mats.
I'd suggest not doing that based on the recent Toyota / Lexus floormat recalls which specifically call out that as a cause for some of the reported accidents. Our LS430's aren't included in that recall, but can certainly have same cause / effect.
Old 11-18-09, 12:26 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
I'd suggest not doing that based on the recent Toyota / Lexus floormat recalls which specifically call out that as a cause for some of the reported accidents. Our LS430's aren't included in that recall, but can certainly have same cause / effect.
You can still use the hook holes that are provided although i do understand your concern for safety.
Old 11-19-09, 08:03 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by DaytonaSTi
Does anyone know if Lexus pulled all their all-weather mats? Sewell and Lexus Parts Online show them as discontinued. I don't mean the clear ones.
I bought some from irontoad about 1.5 months ago (the rubber one w/ the lexus logo and deep grooves).
Old 11-19-09, 08:13 PM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

I have to ask - if your car suddenly accelerated to a high rate of speed (like if the gas pedal or linkage was stuck or jammed), would you A) shift into neutral, or failing that, maybe turn ignition switch to the off position to stop the engine? Or B) leave the car in drive, let the motor keep accelerating and instead take out your cell phone and dial 911 and ask them what to do while your car is going over 100 mph? If you answered B you need to surrender your drivers license to the nearest DMV facility as you are a danger to yourself and other drivers.
Old 11-20-09, 05:53 AM
DDLexus
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
I have to ask - if your car suddenly accelerated to a high rate of speed (like if the gas pedal or linkage was stuck or jammed), would you A) shift into neutral, or failing that, maybe turn ignition switch to the off position to stop the engine? Or B) leave the car in drive, let the motor keep accelerating and instead take out your cell phone and dial 911 and ask them what to do while your car is going over 100 mph? If you answered B you need to surrender your drivers license to the nearest DMV facility as you are a danger to yourself and other drivers.
If you're 1/2 drunk or high, or just so tired that you cannot react faster than a sloth, "B" is the likely answer.
Old 11-20-09, 08:20 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
Let's put it this way, what would one do if this were a manual transmission? Shift into N! Just don't turn the key to "lock" or you won't be able to turn the wheel! Also, if you turn the ignition "off," although the engine will be off and you will have power to the dash lights, windows, etc, you may not have enough brake pressure to completely stop if you are going fast, as the vacuum booster needs to have the engine on...you might have to coast and use the e-brake.

If you look at the LS430 gas pedal, it's attached to the floor and pivots at the floor rather than from hanging above, so the floor mat shouldn't get jammed under the pedal since it can't go any further forward. The worse it could do is the mat rides up the bottom of the gas pedal.
Old 11-20-09, 08:45 PM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

Rant on -

I think a total and complete lack of understanding of how a automobile works at a basic fundamental level is what killed the folks that dialed 911 when the pedal was stuck. And I want to be clear that wasn't the poor driver's fault, it is the fault of the way too easy and slipshod rules/requirements for getting a drivers license in the US. Putting drivers behind the wheel who don't understand how a car works is sadly negligent.

Rant off -
Old 11-21-09, 06:19 AM
DaytonaSTi
Rookie

I believe your rant easily applies to procreation as well.
Old 11-24-09, 01:24 PM
bonnsha
Driver School Candidate

Hey there Lexus owners on a budget. When your mats get dirty, take them to the laundry mat. I wash mine once per year. and they look like new. Grab one of the big boy washers, pre-treat your floor mats if needed, throw them in the big boy and add your money. I use warm to hot water. Put in your favorite detergent ( I use Tide ). Once the rinse cycle rolls around, throw in some fabric softener. Once the washing is done, throw them into the dryer. Don't worry, they wont melt. When they're done, you've got a new looking set of mats until they're dirty again.