LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Which O2 sensor should I buy? 3 options...

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-09, 01:51 AM
PilotSmith
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Which O2 sensor should I buy? 3 options...

Our '01 LS430 CEL has been on for while. Originally was the Bank 1 - Sensor 1 code. Checked again today after about 3K miles and now also has code for Bank 2 - Sensor 1. So I guess the 2 sensors on the manifold are now needing replacement. By what I read the O2 sensors on the left and right front are the same.

I found a Denso OE one for $95.90.
http://www.amazon.com/Denso-234-4138...9546198&sr=1-1
Denso universal fit for $41.20.
http://www.amazon.com/Denso-234-4209...9547719&sr=1-1
Bosch universal fir for $47.90.
http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-15733-Ox...9545417&sr=8-1

I'm guessing Bosch and Denso are both fine and it just boils down to price. But I don't know if it is worth the extra $100 to get an OE version which I think the only difference is that the wire connector is already wired in???
Your thoughts on which one to buy. (Need 2 of them.)

Last edited by PilotSmith; 03-30-10 at 09:36 AM.
Old 08-06-09, 04:48 AM
PilotSmith
Driver

Thanks for tip. Found some OEM for cheap but now I am confused. I thought the bank 1 sensor 1 was a left front, and the B2 S1 was a right front. The eBay ad says bank 1 sensor 1 is a rear sensor??? Does anyone here know for sure the locations of the B1 S1 and B2 S1 sensors?

According to the Bosch parts finder the OEM sensor for the LS430 are:
- Heated upstream left side sensor #13441
- Heated upstream right side sensor #13632
- Heated downstream sensor #15272 (two required)

Can someone please indicate how the above sensors match up to the bank and sensor numbers? Thanks!
Old 08-06-09, 09:21 AM
PilotSmith
Driver

The Toyota ones listed on eBay for $49.99 is mislabeled. It is actually a rear O2 sensor.

I think I found all the info I needed. Will post info in another thread to make hunt easier for others.

/////////////////////////

Here is info in new thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...ml#post4742667

Last edited by PilotSmith; 08-06-09 at 10:12 AM.
Old 03-30-10, 06:37 AM
mrsincere
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PilotSmith thanks a million for your posts and diagrams. I had Autozone hookup their scanner to my 04 LS430, and they found P0032 code, which is supposed to be Bank 1 Sensor 1. I ordered both upstream sensors to install even though I only got a code for one. Isnt it best to change sensors in pairs??? That was my logic for purchasing both upstream sensors. Sometime later I intend to get both downstream sensors to install. Thanks to you, I used the part numbers you provided. I paid $189 for 2 OEM perfect fit sensors. That price includes shipping from Amazon.com. Thanks again
Old 03-30-10, 09:40 AM
PilotSmith
Driver

Glad I could help! My 2nd sensor went out a couple months after the first one. I think they are good for about 100K miles. So it makes sense to replace both at the same time if they both have a good number of miles on them.
Old 03-30-10, 03:46 PM
mrsincere
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PilotSmith
Glad I could help! My 2nd sensor went out a couple months after the first one. I think they are good for about 100K miles. So it makes sense to replace both at the same time if they both have a good number of miles on them.

I bought the car at 78k. I'm at 102k now. So the chances are great that the other sensor is an original sensor. I'd rather get the 2 fronts done now. While I'm under the car, I'll take a peek at the downstream sensors to see how difficult it is to get to them. BTW, I was wrong about the code. It was P0031 ( just in case someone else has the same problem ). I borrowed a friends OBD scanner. Once I complete the job, I'll erase the code. That should solve the Check VSC/Trac OFF warning, I hope?
Old 03-30-10, 09:54 PM
PilotSmith
Driver

Let me guess... You borrowed a Harbor Freight code reader? If so, no, the VSC will not reset when you erase the codes. You will need to go through a process of shorting a couple terminals on the OBD port to get the VSC to work again. Been there, done that. Not a big deal if you know what to do. But I now use a different code reader to avoid that problem. There is a post on this forum on how to reset the VSC.

Here is the link:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...c-vsc-off.html

THERE IS SOME WRONG INFO IN THE POST. Be sure to read all the posts. The diagram in post # 11 is wrong. The correct terminals are shown in post # 13. I followed the directions on post # 11 and it fixed my VSC problem after using the Harbor Freight code reader. However, I think the number of seconds listed in post #11 was not quite right on my car. Don' remember now but maybe it was more than 4 seconds. Not sure. But it should work for you.

Here is the corrected diagram in that thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/4878286-post29.html

Last edited by PilotSmith; 03-30-10 at 10:08 PM.
Old 03-31-10, 06:41 AM
mrsincere
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up

Let me guess... You borrowed a Harbor Freight code reader? If so, no, the VSC will not reset when you erase the codes. You will need to go through a process of shorting a couple terminals on the OBD port to get the VSC to work again. Been there, done that. Not a big deal if you know what to do. But I now use a different code reader to avoid that problem. There is a post on this forum on how to reset the VSC.

Here is the link:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...c-vsc-off.html

THERE IS SOME WRONG INFO IN THE POST. Be sure to read all the posts. The diagram in post # 11 is wrong. The correct terminals are shown in post # 13. I followed the directions on post # 11 and it fixed my VSC problem after using the Harbor Freight code reader. However, I think the number of seconds listed in post #11 was not quite right on my car. Don' remember now but maybe it was more than 4 seconds. Not sure. But it should work for you.

Here is the corrected diagram in that thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/4878286-post29.html

I got it. The scanner doesnt clear the Check VSC. The good thing is, I read that thread about jumping a few days ago, and even tried it to see what it would do. I'm curious of one thing? When I tried the jump procedure ( to see what it would do ), another light started flashing. It was the AFS indicator. I'm assuming it was flashing and possibly giving me the code ( by flash ). However, the check vsc didnt do much at all, just the AFS lamp. I thought the Check VSC was supposed to flash when you do the jump at the OBD port? I guess once I replace the O2 sensor, I'll be able to try that jump procedure again and see what happens.

Thanks for the links.
Old 03-31-10, 08:10 AM
PilotSmith
Driver

Sorry, don't remember any longer what light(s) flashed and for how long to clear the VSC light.
Old 03-31-10, 02:22 PM
mrsincere
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up It's Done!!!

Sorry, don't remember any longer what light(s) flashed and for how long to clear the VSC light.

Thats okay I replaced both sensors , and I cleared the codes using my friends Actron OBD scanner. I left a long message for you in the thread you started showing the part#'s and diagrams of the upstream sensor locations.