LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Lower corner of door panel separating

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-09, 02:39 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Built to go...

Originally Posted by DNC
I agree and I "think" Lexus may be one of the very few companies that actually care about feedback from their customers.
I would hope so and that Toyota has not become the arrogance that they built Lexus to fight. Toyota spent hundreds of millions in the 80's just come up with a German fighter, not necessarily in handling, but in luxury features and have spent billions more to build the name Lexus. With all that spent, they've still had to fight the image that they are not "up to par" with the German car makes. Lexus is in a very very dangerous middle ground right now. They are not the least expensive (Acura and Nissan beat them) and they are not the most prestigious in the general public's mind (BMW and MB beats them) so when the economy goes bad, then it comes down to trying to keep your customers and controlling cost, along with keeping quality the same.

It's not during the best of times that you find out who is a better service provider, it's during the worse of times that you find out who your best provider is.
Old 03-18-09, 10:06 PM
Atl
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DNC
I agree and I "think" Lexus may be one of the very few companies that actually care about feedback from their customers.
How exactly do we let them know? I can find no address in Japan, no email address, I am even willing to have my girlfriend, who is fluent in Japanese, translate, but am at a loss as to where to send it?? I would LOVE to! I have asked in the past, but no Japanese address. I highly doubt Lexus reads our threads. I have legitimate problems with my car, but nowhere to go except the dealer, and they either are clueless, or are hiding that they know something. It's funny they say they have never heard of strong wind noise coming from the windshield from any customer, but the glass repair place they sent me to had said it's a major deal, and they hear it all the time. Who is telling the truth???? Does anyone have a mail address??? Anyone?

David
Old 03-18-09, 10:26 PM
DNC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Atl
How exactly do we let them know? I can find no address in Japan, no email address, I am even willing to have my girlfriend, who is fluent in Japanese, translate, but am at a loss as to where to send it?? I would LOVE to! I have asked in the past, but no Japanese address. I highly doubt Lexus reads our threads. I have legitimate problems with my car, but nowhere to go except the dealer, and they either are clueless, or are hiding that they know something. It's funny they say they have never heard of strong wind noise coming from the windshield from any customer, but the glass repair place they sent me to had said it's a major deal, and they hear it all the time. Who is telling the truth???? Does anyone have a mail address??? Anyone?

David
I am sure someone will respond with better information at some point but in the meantime have you tried contacting someone at lexus.com?
The treatment you describe is completely unacceptable from a company that wants to believe their cars are world class. This would not be acceptable for a car with a price tag of $15,000 much less what these cars cost.
Old 08-09-16, 09:59 AM
LSR83
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Did anybody find a permanent fix for this?
Old 08-09-16, 12:22 PM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 675 Likes on 462 Posts

The outside moulding for the doors are held together by a combination of clips and double-sided tapes. For a permanent fix, you will need to take the moulding off and repair whatever is damaged (or detached) from within. Please take a look at the attached for detail.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Outside Moulding.pdf (84.2 KB, 171 views)
Old 08-09-16, 03:56 PM
LSR83
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rkw77080
The outside moulding for the doors are held together by a combination of clips and double-sided tapes. For a permanent fix, you will need to take the moulding off and repair whatever is damaged (or detached) from within. Please take a look at the attached for detail.
Ok great thx! That pdf is really useful
Old 08-09-16, 05:34 PM
Jks24
Pole Position

I love how you guys are complaining that your car is getting broken when you hit a curb with it. So here is a question will you get upset when your get curb rash on your rims from rubbing the curb or will you just go "lexus is at fault for not making better rims"? I have a permanent fix dont let your door hit the curb and i live in albany NY and travel to NYC frequently so yah it is possible to do that. Just my thoughts on the situation.
Old 08-10-16, 11:38 PM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

See link below. I fixed this issue on my car before, but the epoxy I used wasn't good enough and it came unglued again. My brother used the same epoxy on his car and his stayed glued for months until the car got totalled. One of these days I will remove the panel again and probably just take it to a body shop to have the pin recemented; a good body shop will probably have the correct epoxy.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...anel-trim.html
Old 08-11-16, 07:01 PM
Scroby
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ancdmd
See link below. I fixed this issue on my car before, but the epoxy I used wasn't good enough and it came unglued again. My brother used the same epoxy on his car and his stayed glued for months until the car got totalled. One of these days I will remove the panel again and probably just take it to a body shop to have the pin recemented; a good body shop will probably have the correct epoxy.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...anel-trim.html
Thanks for the great link! I need to work on the panels on both of my front doors, and your write-up will be very helpful. Do you happen to know (or know how to find) the part number for the nut that goes on the lower stud? I need to buy a replacement.

Also - when you had the panel off, did it have any markings indicating the type of plastic it's made from? I'm assuming ABS, but knowing for sure could help with adhesive or solvent bond selection.

Picture of the part (nut) I'm looking for:

Last edited by Scroby; 08-12-16 at 04:41 AM. Reason: add picture
Old 08-12-16, 06:48 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

My passenger door was separated on the '01 when I bought it, and I found that the clips that hold it to the bottom edge of the door skin were not broken, so I was able to reattach the trim panel without any adhesive. Very fortunate..
Also, @JKS24... Great insight.. It is possible to park where you feel there is enough room to open the door, only to have Aunt Fatty get in and pull the door closed while it rubs along the grass, or curb edge, or whatever else may be in the way...